AMD Unleashes First-Ever 5 GHz Processor- AMD FX-9590

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by sandeep, Jun 12, 2013.

1. mjrhealth

mjrhealth Member

IS all OK the Intel Haswell guys seem to have the same problem. Intel apparently put the regulators on teh die, so to get a decent overclock, water is teh only way and even with that the temps are high. In fact most froums are saying taht many reviewers are not mentioning Temps, make you wonder why ??

2. Hive

Hive Member

I like how they call it a 5GHz CPU yet that is only the boost frequency.

3. C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

I really don't understand why they would even bother with these chips at such a ridiculous price. I'm definitely an enthusiast & AMD fan, but the price is just stupid when you consider the performance & heat.

Seems to me like they are really grasping at straws...

4. rainwulf

rainwulf Member

Its still winter too, so a 220 watt CPU will be great for room heating.

5. congoh

congoh Member

Marketing team at work :D
    This is just a propaganda for the public (they can't afford !ntel inside scale campaign).

6. OP
    OP
    sandeep

sandeep Member

its around $399 for a 4.6Ghz model. Wonder how well will they overclock. It they coudl do 5Ghz, that is a substantial amount of savings.

7. Hive

Hive Member

That's a joke.

Intel is cheaper, less power use, more powerFUL.

What do AMD have against intel now?

8. power

power Member

underdog status?

Cheaper boards (maybe)

9. cvidler

cvidler Member

A more power efficient name.

010000010100110101000100 (8 ONs)

0100100101101110011101000110010101101100 (20 ONs)

All those extra one's take more power.

:lol:

10. Pemalite

Pemalite Member

Well. It seems the average price in AU for the 9590 is around the $1100 mark.
    Slower, hotter and more expensive than the 3930K! :lol:
    They could have at-least thrown more cache at the problem considering they're pricing it at Intel Extreme CPU levels.

I just don't see the value in it at all, the FX 8320 on the other hand IMHO is good value at only $185, clocks like a champ too.

11. AMD-G

AMD-G Member

Power aside, the 9370 should come in under 4770K pricing with equivalent performance so it does make some sense, particularly if you have a compatible motherboard already.

12. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Anyone got one of these?
    Tempted to grab one just for something different.
    They are getting cheap enough now anyway at £199.99 for the 9590 (~$340 AUD)

edit: something along these lines....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  13. maev

maev Member

You could probably get a FX-8350, Sabertooth 990FX and Ram for a bit cheaper.

While the newer AMD cpu's are tempting for being something new, they're just A+ chips that have been clocked higher. There is literally not difference between the 8350 and the 9xxx chips other than their specified clock speed, and as a trade off you're going to pay more in the long run for their 220w TDP, compared to say my FX-6300 stock TDP of 94, which I can OC to 4.7ghz anyway (mind you the TDP does go up too, but at least the choice is there).

Here's a good comparison of the 8350 actually beating some of intel's more pricey CPU's (AMD really shine in multi threads): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu8Sekdb-IE

Also, you will need to invest in a $100 cooler at minimum (might be a lil cheaper) if you go for a 9xxx chip, but AMD expects these chips to be water cooled really. They don't come with stock coolers, keep that in mind. So you need to add a cooler to that list too, unless you have a REALLY good one. Don't forget, you need the cooler to be able to handle 220TDP.

Amazon are selling the Kraken x60 for around $148 shipped (that's what it cost me). It's one of the best AMD coolers you can get, so IF you are serious about getting these CPU's just make sure you have the cooling. The noctua NH-D14 is a damn good air cooler, just behind the karken. These are just suggestions if you don't have an adequate cooler atm. If you do take the plunge, let us know, would be interesting to see how they operate from a real user perspective, heck, perhaps we/others can compare benchmarks etc. source: http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

Curious; What's your current PC?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  14. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Yeah, just interested in trying out something different really.

Currently running a 4770k / SLI 670s under water, but this system will be sold soon to make room for new toys lol.
    I've had my fun with haswell (ok they weren't fun at all lol) and got 2 crap clocking chips in a row... At least this way I'm guaranteed something that should OC pretty high.
    Even if I do have to throw a phase unit or something a bit more extreme at it to push for decent numbers.

To be honest I haven't noticed any real dif in my last few builds cpu wise (P67/X79/Z87 etc.) outside of benchmarks anyway.
    So I'd assume these things are capable of putting out a decent gaming experience by now, especially at these sorts of clocks.

Last AMD chip I had was a 955 BE, sO I kinda wouldn't mind seeing what they are like in real world usage now days. (the 955 sucked compared to my 2500k though.... that was my last decent cpu upgrade.)

15. OP
    OP
    sandeep

sandeep Member

How can I order that CPU for that price?>

16. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-360-AM

That's where I was looking, bought my 2500k off them back in the day.
    Managed to get it here before any local shops had it :p
    Also we don't have to pay VAT so remember to look at the ex VAT prices

edit: oh and the buyer for my pc fell through, so looks like I'm stuck on the 4770k for a while longer :/
    ohg well, just bought rayman and pre-ordered shadow warrior to make up for it :p

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  17. maev

maev Member

That's a bummer it fell through. I can totally understand wanting to try those chips, so don't let what i say hold you back. You're spot on about CPU's not changing the field a whole lot. I'm running 1440p with mine and a 7950 with ultra high+ in games smoothly, so the chips run great regardless.

Also thanks for linking that uk store, i was wondering too where you shop from (so i can compare to here and amazon next time). Hopefully you can still make that order and have some fun with the parts in the future, maybe the price will drop soon, perhaps fate, but with those prices you found that's a massive saving!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  18. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

Drool I so much want one but my wife would kill me if I spent that much on the CPU.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  19. Outcast_Aussie

Outcast_Aussie Member

20. Squatting_Tiger

Squatting_Tiger Member

Thats very tempting, been holding off the 8350, postage for that is GBP$26 so all up delivered is about AU$380 actually. Whats a 8350 worth nowadays? They NEVER come up second hand :(