AMD Unleashes First-Ever 5 GHz Processor- AMD FX-9590

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by sandeep, Jun 12, 2013.

1. TaroT

TaroT Member

thats my problem i have a 8350 i have managed to squeeze up to 4.5 happilly on an old 990fx ud5 rev 1 ....so i can't just pop down and get a chip (although i would love the cooler for another project and that would save 80 odd bucks) i would need to fork out another 200 for a sabertooth and then transplant the lot including raids....i,m just too lazy :)

2. loophole

loophole Member

Yeah, the FX-9000 chips are interesting from the novelty and tinkering perspective of seeing what Vishera can do when the architects aren't constrained by having to fit within regular desktop TDPs. But because of that they're unfortunately not a drop in replacement for the owners of older, 1st gen AM3+ boards...

I wonder if over time as GF's 32nm SOI gets better and better will they be able to release something around a 9370 speeds with only a 140W TDP? Or has this node already reached it's steady state in terms of the improvements?

3. z1lt0id

z1lt0id Member

Interesting I had my FX-8350 at 5ghz for a while until recently. But I think it started to die (lots of fluctuating fps in render tests. some video file would sometimes be 110fps then i'd do it again and it would be 70fps) and it still came nowhere near close to a 4770k in x264 encodes.

Would love to play around with these chips though.

4. cbjaust

cbjaust Member

Using the AMD Raid? I went from a DFI DK 790FXB-M2RSH with a Server-2008 R2 install running off 3 x 320GB Seagate drives in RAID0 to an ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z using the same install without any real difficulty.

5. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Well, you could try it on your board. Official support doesn't mean it won't work.

If that didn't work, The UD3 R4 is the cheapest board with official support.. It's a nice bit of fibreglass for the $

6. TaroT

TaroT Member

yeah i ahve seen those but i would have to drop drives
    and yes motherboard raid and i have had the same raid setup over 4 different motherboards without issue but all of them were gigabyte so swappign to say a sabertooth worries me (i have backups but i also hate hard work)

maybe i,ll just try to squeeze a little more out of the ol 8350

7. m1one

m1one Member

Shafted again

AMD strikes again ,,,

What happen to backward compatibility ? I thought the next CPU range was going to work with older boards like the Formula V ...

So we need a new board now ? :Paranoid:

Good bye AMD , been using your product for a long time now ( 15 years )

But this is the last straw , If I need a new board , Im going to buy Intel next .

8. dirtyd

dirtyd Member

Yeah, better buy Intel if you don't like companies changing sockets :lol:

9. wwwww

wwwww Member

I hear this a lot, does anyone actually buy a new CPU without buying a new board these days?

10. lionman

lionman Member

meh AM3 is dead anyway.

better off going for an FM2+ board.

Carrizo will be a nice bit of kit and likely smash Vishera. If the current boards like A88X support APU's right through to 2015 then it would be a good investment.

11. TaroT

TaroT Member

no its because of the extra power draw of these 2 chips, that's the only reason.

as for any they produce in the future assuming they do who knows

12. Snoochems

Snoochems Member

I'm confused regarding the cooler for these new AMD CPU's.

Do they come packaged with a cooler? The description in this link says:

AMD FX 9370 8-CORE BLACK EDITION CPU, 4.4GHz, Turbo Core up to 4.7 GHz, Cache 16MB, Socket AM3+, 32nm, TDP 220W, with AMD Liquid Cooler

But other places tell me it does not come with cooler.

Any idea?

13. Mau1wurf1977

Mau1wurf1977 (Banned or Deleted)

They likely come in both flavours but many shops will choose to sell just the CPU in order to up-sell you a cooler which have way more margin.

14. Snoochems

Snoochems Member

I better call. I have a skeleton case, so it's a little unique for what type of cooler I can install.

However, this CPU seems like a good fit for what I need. It appears to have dropped in price too. $288.92.

Have I missed something here, or is that a decent price for what this CPU can do?

15. de_overfiend

de_overfiend Member

had a play with one of these the other day..,. the stock liquid cooling solution is a h100 ripoff with 2 fans samwiching the cooler

and it ran HOT... after 5 mins of virus scans it had already hit 60 and was climbing.

left it running overnite for scans

next day at 8am there was a 1 metre radius of heat around the case (full tower trooper case with handle)... only went after 20 mins of air con. the liquid cooling pipes were very hot to the touch and the cpu temp was 82.

Overall usage (after removing viruses and malware) the machine was quick, only had 16gig RAM and a 1tb Seagate mechanical drive for boot drive and 2tb storage.

I would say it was on par with a 1155 i7@3.4, (general usage wise) but no benchies im afraid.. the customer wanted it back to play CODMW :)

16. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

So you paired the fastest CPU available with the slowest storage drive available?

Why? :confused:

17. SoulFire-Z

SoulFire-Z Member

After reading some threads here on OCAU, SSD's are pretty much synonymous with snake oil :/

18. cvidler

cvidler Member

You don't read too good then.
    :confused:

19. SoulFire-Z

SoulFire-Z Member

Maybe I don't, but the "Should I get an SSD thread" is pretty appalling to read for the most part.

20. cvidler

cvidler Member

the answer is 'yes'.

early SSDs had trouble with performance degrading over time, not the case anymore.

they die (just like regular HDDs) so keep your backups up to date.

but you get performance you can't hope to match from spinning rust.