AMD Vega GPU

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Agg, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

R9 290 air cooled, nuff said.

2. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Its case design and video card choice.

If you buy a card with a cooler that dumps all the hot air in your case you need the right type of cooling. Without the right type of cooling even a cooler card will simply heat up the CPU and contribute to a very hot case with a hot video card.

Otherwise you should get one that exhausts it at the back of the case.

3. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Most of the cooler designs are to just get the heat from the core and where it goes... oh well. And also trying to keep positive pressure in the case while keeping everything cool can be a pain.

One thing I just thought of with the RX version, think AMD are going to send review samples out this time?

4. power

power Member

Why are your PC's so hot? Buy a decent case with good ventilation ffs.

5. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

It's my room, I live in units which means it's small and my rooms in between our bathroom, the neighbours one and above our kitchen so basically it's an oven year round. In summer it easily gets to 35° in the morning, by the afternoon it's close to 40°, unless I run my crappy noisy aircon :lol:.

Also remember I have an aircooled 290, in saying that Ryzen stays lovely and cool, hasn't cracked 60° since getting the H100i V2 unless I run OCCT :leet:.

6. ADV

ADV Member

Ever since I cut a hole in my bedroom wall and fed the cables through to my PC on the other-side, noise, heat and general irritation has gone down immensely.

Ready for Vega... that's for sure.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  7. power

power Member

Sounds awful.

8. Bertross

Bertross Member

Lol lets hope amd control their cards temps this time...

9. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Very tempting to just pump the aircon into my case :lol:. No joke I'm actually sitting here sweating atm, hate living here :mad: I don't like heat lol.

Have to be honest if the top Vega pulls more than 300w I may not even get it just because the heat.

10. ADV

ADV Member

Try a Delonghi portable Aircon with watercool tech. I had an old one and it was better than any of the others. It evaporates water and air-conditions at the same time, which boosts cooling about 30-40% even in hot climates. It is not a "Evaporative Cooler".

11. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Yeah nah they pull to much power, my window unit does a good job it's just noisy.

Anyway, getting off topic a bit.

12. Digit

Digit Member

Are you sure? Seems reasonable to me

13. FE2_Chook

FE2_Chook Member

I can't help but think back to the figures mentioned in the marketing and earlier in the thread. Sure, it's marketing, I get that, but they were boasting triangles per whatever and all the other technobabble, and the 13Tflop figure just makes me think either they're playing it safe, or something went wrong, but God knows what.

I know I've already fallen victim to the hype, and I feel like all indications so far are probably correct, but those figures just don't add up man...

14. havabeer

havabeer Member

When the thread goes from spec's speculation to having to buy air conditioners to keep gpu' cool you know it's an AMD thread

15. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

16. ADV

ADV Member

In Vega's case.. its totally relevant. :D

I must admit its looking more and more like Vega is a last minute scramble to save AMD from going under.

17. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

2 more days...

18. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Yeah I'm sure, checked them out years ago and settled on a window aircon :leet:.

Hahahaha doesn't help when you live in QLD. On a completely unrelated note, I visited Hell last week, it was cooler :lol:.

Back to Vega

Have some reportedly leaked pics.

Apparently RX Vega was "smoother" in the Budapest tour.

RedGamingTech video about "AMD refuting RX Vega pricing".

And Dragonfly beat me to the versions of Vega.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  19. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

AMD has always had higher shader/compute (tflops) performance than Nvidia for the last few generations, that's why the coin miners love them. But they don't have for example the geometry performance to back it up. So a fury x is 8.6tflops and is now a tiny bit faster overall than a stock 980 ti which is 5.6 tflops despite 50% more tflops. Or an rx 480 (5.8tflops) is slightly faster than a stock gtx 1060 (4.4tflops) despite 30% more tflops. So if we ignored all the whitepapers on Vegas on improved architecture geometry performance etc, the tflops would suggest it would match up roughly with a gtx 1080 (8.9tflops).

That link on the budapest tour is interesting, filling on all the detail that wasn't there in the video. Confirms RX Vega was the faster system and the other was running a gtx 1080, and also suggests it won't beat a 1080 ti

"Even if we pitted Radeon RX Vega against the mightier GeForce 1080Ti, my money would still bet on a similar outcome: that you wouldn’t really be able to tell the difference with variable refresh rate. And I believe no gamer should ever consider buying a monitor that isn’t capable of variable refresh rate."

20. bennyg

bennyg Member

Sounds just like the "consumer at 4K wont notice our CPU is slower so we'll say its performance is equal" argument they came out with at Ryzen launch

Might be true. But then if not benchmarks, what does AMD marketing division suggest is used as a performance analysis?

Subjective blind 'taste' tests do nuthin in the long run, ask Pepsi