AMD Vega GPU

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Agg, Jan 6, 2017.

1. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

2. maxrig

maxrig Member

All blower style GPU's are a trash man. I just hope people learnt from their last experience with blower style coolers and stay hell away from it.

3. dr_deathy

dr_deathy Member

Most. 8800 g92. 4870. 5970 had great blower coolers on them. However air cooling is for peasants.

4. joerandom

joerandom Member

5. maxrig

maxrig Member

Really? HD 5970 is just as bad. 63dB?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2877/16

6. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

But haven't you heard freesync is shit because the monitor manufacturers that compete against each other for sales have to do it right to make it work properly....

7. bart5986

bart5986 Member

This reddit post I saw sums up the video perfectly.

"PSA: Playing doom at 100fps feels the same on either card. Groundbreaking stuff."

At this point they are trying to sell Vega purely on one particular freesync monitor which appears to be as good as or better then the competing Gsync monitor which just happens to be quite overpriced.

8. taldoren

taldoren Member

That's awesome if all you play is Doom :p

Next week could be ....interesting to say the least.

9. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

haha well there are plenty of sucky freesync monitors, and good ones. The trick is reading specs and reviews to find out. I'd prefer it if freesync monitors that only do like 48-75hz or worse 48-60hz ones were given a different certification to the decent ones that do 40-100hz or 40-144hz. freesync 2 does help with requiring LFC (max refresh rate = at least 2.5x min referesh), but say a 30-75hz monitor would still meet this, I'd prefer they'd gone to 90 or 100hz as the minimum

10. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

AMD do need better certification on Freesync monitors or they need stricter rules on the ranges because it is an utter joke atm.

I never understood why most monitors only do 48 - 90 when they should be able to do at least 48 - 144 on the AU Optronics 27" 1440p "IPS" panel.

11. dr_deathy

dr_deathy Member

for a dual core card with full speed full spec cores? Its a way bigger beast then the pussy cards we get these days with the whinny little bitches going on about a bit of heat. The 4870X2 didnt and it was loud. VERY loud.

Also we wont get into it here but sound frequency needs to be accounted for, having used most of the cards there it was impressive because they spend a bit of coin and put a vapour chamber.

12. rickoles

rickoles Member

You can manually adjust the ranges using Custom Resolution Utility. I have a MG279Q running 56-144hz freesync range instead of the 35-90 out of the box.

13. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Yeah I know but doesn't that increase input lag, ghosting and shit?

In Vega news, AMD won't be live streaming the event... I'll post links when I get up :lol: but its all over Twitter and Reddit.

Edit, have some links,

Tweet about not live streaming Siggraph.

Linus holding the special edition RX Vega & A tweet from Linus showing the card.

I see 3 reasons why AMD aren't live streaming,

• 1. They have no confidence in the product, not much of a shock considering how little they've hyped it since Computex.
    • 2. It's a paper launch so they don't want to show off much because the cards wont be ready.
    • 3. All of the above.

Either way that special edition Vega looks stunning, even if it doesn't perform well I'd want it just to frame it :leet:.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  14. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

Okay not livestreaming the event is the dumbest thing I've heard with this launch.

15. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

It means one thing, AMD aren't confident in the product so why bother wasting the money in live streaming.

If you look at the link I posted yesterday from the Budapest tour it says this,

Then if you read the rest of it basically the whole "tour" was to show that is was about the monitors and not the GPU's.

16. havabeer

havabeer Member

I would have thought they don't bother live streaming because of the sheer volume of people normally crashes it, even the last nvidia one went down.

17. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Just seen this on YouTube and had to post :lol::D.

18. Darko

Darko Member

Good review, sums it up nicely

19. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

20. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Why not just do a live stream if there going to be recording it anyway :confused:.

Seems like the guess on price will be about $800 - $850 USD, that Budapest tour link said exactly what systems / monitors were used so working out the pricing means RX Vega is about $800. That's more expensive than a 1080Ti...