AMD Vega GPU

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Agg, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

That's true.

Doubt it'd be slower, AMD would be slaughtered if it was considering the time that we've had to wait and how the FE performs so it's probably on par or slightly faster but clearly not fast enough to take on a 1080Ti. The other thing is power draw, a stock 1080 is err 180w? Vega could be upwards of 350w, power draw alone will put a lot of people off.

This is going to be pretty interesting / probably disappointing.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  2. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

So when do we find out?

:thumbup:

3. kthomp37

kthomp37 Member

Midday tomorrow I think.

4. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

If it is exactly the same price and performance with gtx1080 than it's only marketed to people who haven't upgraded yet and and or waiting for Volta or Vega 2 isn't it?

Enthusiast who upgrade every year or multiple times a year already have 1080ti I presume. Will they downgroande to Vega?

I guess there are people holding out with r390 and 780gtx but I would suspect they will wait for pricing after Volta release.

5. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

If I can get one for $499 USD the that will be fine by me. Won't be paying new release premium pricing and happy to wait a couple of months.

6. Euphoreia

Euphoreia Member

So you'll wait until 2080 is out, crushes it for price/performance, and has half the power consumption, noise and heat output?

7. Sledge

Sledge Member

How long to Volta though?
    Could be another 6 months or more

8. Euphoreia

Euphoreia Member

8 weeks, you read it here first.

9. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Do you reckon Nvidia will bring out Volta this soon, with what the performance matrix is, I reckon Volta won't come out till next year, no need to.

I reckon they will wait until 1080ti killer is announced, and since the fabs are paid for, they can reduce the ti pricing closer to Vega and shift all the pricing down a notch.

Than announce Volta.

10. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

What makes you think that?

:thumbup:

11. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

It will be ages away........ If it is super awesome as you predict and I truely believe my life will be that much better than I will buy one.. ........ I will also go and bang on about it in the Nvidia GPU thread.

12. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

From wccftech.

13. PRiME2007

PRiME2007 Member

People are still confused about Volta and think the x100 card NVIDIA showed off a few months back was a consumer product. It wasn't.

Volta is likely going to be a mid 2018 product given that Vega looks to be not really giving nvidia any competition, there is no need to rush it.

14. bart5986

bart5986 Member

The 1080 has sold for $459 USD in the past

$399 USD is a pretty bad price as it definitely seems like it can only compete with the 1080 in certain AMD games like Doom etc.

I'm not really sure it matters.

Nvidia can reduce prices and will have a new card out a long time before AMD have one.

15. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Volta, has finished development and that is the point.

Consumer and procrads are one and the same, it just has different drivers, has features turned on or off and run at different clocks.

16. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Exactly my scenario at the moment. Have an R9 390 which does quite well given I refuse to budge past 1080p but something newer would be nicer.

17. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Volta wont be coming for at least another 8 - 10 months, makes no sense without any serious competition from AMD.

Seems like the prices posted by nope earlier are probably accurate and looks like we could have clocks as well from VideoCardz, Wccftech is reporting the same clocks but we all know they just take and republish everything, they also added TDP... 375w is what there reporting for the WC version...

Now if I'm not mistaken isn't 400w the absolute maximum you can get from dual 8 pins and the PCI slot?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  18. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

you forgetting 1 thing. AMD or not, nvidia still need to sell cards, to hit the sales targets, you cannot do it without having new lineup in regular cycles. Volta is done and dusted. There will be new lineup end of this year/early next year, question is, whether it will be just a re-badge of 10x0 series or new Volta

19. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

"375w" could refer to the total heat dissipation specification of the cooler? Seems unreasonably high for a single GPU board.

20. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

I'll be surprised to see Volta this year especially considering how far into the year we are, doesn't Nvidia normally do launches earlier in the year?

Considering the TDP of the FE card, for the air version is 300w and 375w for WC I doubt that's just dissipation for the cooler unfortunately. About 3 - 4 hours till we know for sure though.

On another note just seen this on the OC3D Facebook page, MSI's reference RX Vega GPU leaks.

Edit, also seem the press is not happy with Linus getting exclusive access to Vega.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017