AMD Vega GPU

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Agg, Jan 6, 2017.

1. FE2_Chook

FE2_Chook Member

So i'm guessing that"Vega later" in your sig may not be quite the case? I'm still keen to see what comes out long term, but I did expect better, but then i didn't realise AMD cards always had such high raw computer and based my expectations on that.

Seem i'll be disappointed, but sadly I didn't set the bar that high once I learned about how previous gens had stacked up. Just a shame because the word cloud from long before made it seem so much better than the last Uarch. Wonder how Raja is feeling~

2. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Fuck, I was expecting at least 10fps difference.

Anyone found a tech site live tweeting yet? been looking but haven't found shit.

Yeah I need to change it to (Vega later?) lol, I was expecting a lot more than that especially considering my 290 is still pretty decent at 1080p.

3. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

"minimum FPS range"

When the marketing team have to this creative with performance metrics, you know they're struggling :p

4. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

Skip to 5m 23s for Vega news. Everyone is releasing videos now, seems 12:30pm was the nda time.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  5. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

I'm not disappointed with the bench but with the recommended pricing.

As it won't force nvidia to lower the 1080ti lower now and definitately it won't matter to 20xx series top end. Nvidia will have the luxury of pricing titan or 2xxxti at what ever the price they thing gamers will stomache.

Pity amd wasn't able to do to you pricing like it did for CPU market

6. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

According to Paul's video these don't actually put that much power, looks like 345w is the "board power".

7. Bertross

Bertross Member

seems about right, 8 pin is 150 each plus 75 max off the PCI-E im guessing the cooler needs for the pump.

8. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Yeah, still it's a hell of a lot of power for what it offers.

Still not seeing shit about if it's a paper launch or not, shit all performance slides etc, this is getting annoying.

Edit, looks like at Siggraph there just getting to the Vega stuff, the Radeon Twitter just postd a 16 second video.

Edit 2, looks like a paper launch August 14th is launch day :mad:.

9. Bertross

Bertross Member

their is an interesting slide in their trumping a 1080?

10. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

based on the AMD slides for the FreeSync. AMD stating that below 48hz (48fps) it's "poor experience" I believe Sony and Microsoft would argue here, from memory 30fps is the glorious cinematic experience, isn't it ? :D:D:D:D:D

Anyway, don't really care about the bottom line, but is this freesync 2.0 capped at 100hz or the current freesync 1.0?

"the level of fidelity and performance you get from Vega card, it's like you play video games for the first time" -> WTF !!!!!!!!??????? did I miss something here ?????? what is the super tech behind Vega ?

Every time I see similar marketing stuff, like the above, I feel like vomiting

11. WJR

WJR (Banned or Deleted)

From what we know Vega would have been a solid competitor...a year ago. It's too late and Nvidia will either drop prices or roflpwn AMD with Volta.

I hope being late and practically a generation behind isn't the new normal for AMD. :sick:

12. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Update on the LE bundles.... I hope I am wrong lol

To buy a Liquid Cooled LE ... you need to buy the whole bundle, as a line item at the time of purchase

So to get a Liquid Cooled Vega RX you need to fork out $1688 USD

$699 for a Vega 64 Liquid Cooled Edition pack (Aqua Pack).
    $950 for Samsung CF791 currently retails on Newegg
    $339 for Ryzen 7 1700X
    $xxx Motherboard

$1988 Subtotal
    -$300 in rebates
    $1688 + you still need to buy a Motherboard.... of course yo get two gamers with that.

an a good motherboard is $129 (or more) but surely if your buying this bundle you would be buying the top of the range board.

Soruce
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/11680...-vega-64-399-rx-vega-56-launching-in-august/2

Plus they have lowered the requirement for Free Sync to allow Samsung CF791 to be labled as FreeSync

Same Source

"tweaked their Freesync Low Framerate Compensation technology to work with monitors that have a 2x range between min and max refresh rates, as opposed to 2.5x at launch. I’m told that 2.5x (or better) is still the ideal range, but it now works at 2x. This is an important development because the Samsung CF791 monitor that AMD is discounting as part of the Radeon Pack bundles has a 48Hz to 100Hz range; so it wouldn’t have been LFC capable under the old LFC rules."

13. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

Yeah you have to buy the lot together to get the discounts and the video card. It's a way to get around miners buying up the card, but not good if you already have a system and just want a card.

14. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

I'm pretty sure, if you buy the $699 for a Vega 64 Liquid Cooled Edition pack (Aqua Pack). That entitles you for 2 free games and $100USD discount on the mobo/cpu and $200 off the FreeSync panel. You don't have to purchase them in order to get the Vega WC LE or the Vega air LE

The air cooled version grants you the 2 free games + $100USD off the CPU

wwcftech run through it as well in this video

15. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

I can barely understand the Ryzen bundle since it's a recent launch But to pair it with $950 monitor is rich.

16. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Not sure why Freesync has these bad rules.

It needs to be 30hz-144hz or whatever the monitor is.

Most Gsync monitors have great ranges.

You would be surprised how many modern games dip below 48fps.

17. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

I don't understand all the fake nerd rage.

Either buy one or don't. No one has a gun to your head FFS.

Also are people being purposely stupid in ignoring the benefit in a tighter fps range? It is dips to low frames that ruins your gaming experience, not the maxes if they are at or over the screens refresh rate.

Thank fuck my other hobby takes skill and ability to make expensive shit work. The forum tools learnt to pull their head in long ago when they were exposed for their lack of ability when the bling needed to be used.

18. power

power Member

I wonder what the bundle split will be, will the miners chew up all the standalones? Then you'll have ppl buying the bundles and reselling all the crap they don't want?

Will be interesting to say the least.

19. Unframed

Unframed Member

The bundle may be good for me. I'd like to go to Ryzen too

20. rickoles

rickoles Member

GN reports that the tile based rasterisation and some power saving features weren't enabled on the FE card to "get it out the door". These will be enabled on both FE and RX when it launches.