AMD Vega GPU

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Agg, Jan 6, 2017.

1. datfreak

datfreak Member

How long does amd typically take to release their x2 gpu on one board after initial release? (ie like the 295x2)..Do it early enough and they can claim fasted single card -at least on paper anyway.

2. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

I think you're missing what LFC does, It's frame doubling, same as what the GSYNC chip does. with LFC if you're getting say 30fps the graphics card will send that frame twice to the monitor, so the monitor receives 60fps, back into it's range of 48-100hz. The theoretical minimum for this to work well is 2x, so if you're at 47hz it'll double it to 94hz. I'd suggest they've changed the rules because with driver improvements, they can now operate LFC right on the theoretical limit reliably.

3. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

Please enlighten me, what is the benefit of tighter fps range ?

You wither have:

48hz - 100hz freesync
    or
    30hz - 144hz (165hz for some panels) G-sync

144hz vs 100hz is noticeable.

If you dropping 900USD for a panel and 600USD for GPU, you probably after the best you can get. If you after new build for someone that went from 60hz to 100hz, guess that will be enough as a start.

I wonder if the bundle pricing will apply to Australia as well, or if only valid for US market. Would be nice to see these bundles locally.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  4. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Incoming slight rant / thoughts.

Was kinda annoyed and disappointed in the performance when I seen the slides and watched a few videos but after thinking about it for a bit I've come to the conclusion that while not fantastic Vega isn't actually that bad considering.

While Vega can only just compete with a year old card at least it can compete, that's pretty big considering AMD hasn't put out a top tier card in 2 years (or is it more?), yes it's power hungry, probably hot and as far as we've seen is only on par with a 1080 but at least it's against the 1080 and not the 1070. Price wise it's not to bad and should give some more options other than Nvidia just which is good, sure Nvidia will shit all over it with Volta but chances are that's still at least 6 months away for the consumer version. Vega just like the Fury will improve over time with driver updates and unlike Nvidia, AMD does support old cards for ages. AMD have also been making a killing on mining lately so hopefully that will help R&D wise for Navi as well as the profits they make from the sales of Vega cards there clearly going to make. Finally, even though they've been unimpressive on the GPU side of things at this point in time, AMD have been pretty much destroying Intel at every single turn on the CPU side of things and we still haven't really seen Threadripper yet so chances are when they start selling servers there profits should rise quite a lot.

Anyway, whose gonna buy Vega? :leet:.

5. spank36

spank36 Member

I'll wait to see reviews and Australian prices before I make a decision. The cut down version could be promising if it overclocks well.

6. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

I consider a new card, that only just competes with a card that's 14 months old, is $150 more expensive, uses more power is likely hotter - to be a complete and utter fail.

Sadly - the glory days of AMD/ATI are long gone.

7. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I think the issue is the huge lead they have over AMD, and the fact that they can reduce prices or release volta earlier... or just sit on their hands and we get technology progressing slowly due to lack of competition.

They used to but not anymore. They have also basically dumped crossfire support completely.

I have no idea where you are getting your information from but this isn't accurate.

AMD have done for the CPU division mostly what we see with Vega today.

They released something that is nearly as good as Intel for a decent price.

Yes they beat some extremely overpriced Intel CPU's in terms of value but we know Intel prices their top of the line CPU's ridiculously because they can.

But the fact is that we can see that AMD's CPU division is miles behind as well and we know Intel are sitting on their hands doing very little because of it.

What AMD have done is a good thing, its just very late.

8. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

9. bennyg

bennyg Member

Also claimed is that TGP is 165W / 220W for the aircooled 56 / 64 versions. Hmmmm have we been played by some anti-hype?...

So now the wait for the paper launch is over its ANOTHER couple of weeks before we get to see an actual review on the actual launch lol.

With only guessing at exact performance I think its priced ok. No sense in upgrading if you already have one, but someone about to pull the trigger on a 1070 or 1080 will have at least a decision to make.

10. Snowblindnz

Snowblindnz Member

11. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

12. power

power Member

13. Frag

Frag Member

I have been holding out on a proper upgrade since I bought 2x 290X (WC thank god) at launch. I moved to a 2nd hand WC GTX980Ti as a side grade (cost me $50) due to shit support on CFX and just waiting to see what AMD brings to the table before pulling the trigger. At this stage, as much as I held out hope for AMD in the GPU department, it looks like its a complete waste of time unless you do mining or other non game activities.

Looks like the naysayers earlier in this thread were correct.. Simply AMD banked on a new RAM, supply wasn't available (or priced too high) and essentially the whole thing has been a delay and cock up ever since. I'll still wait for the final reviews but it looks like its will be a ~1080 competitor with a few select titles where it may even beat the Ti. But at 300W and $700US, its just too expensive (for the WC version).. and I can imagine the throttling issues with the AC version.

So yeah, pretty dissapointed - i'll wait for final results and see where the market goes. Maybe I'll just hold onto the 980Ti until volta comes out and then upgrade to real 4k gaming. Heck, 90% of my gaming time is Overwatch so not exactly high system stress anyway :)

14. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Please - do explain how the CPU division is miles behind Intel.

15. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

Sigh....I wasn't referring to monitors it was the Vega 4k against 1080.

I wont bother with discussing freesync I have a 144hz freesync monitor and it works well. Much better than my previous non variable 144hz monitor.

16. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

fair enough, 1080/Vega are no good for proper 4k anyway :) they both nice for 1440p

If you keep below the 100fps then yes, doesn't matter, but then you basically gaming on sub-100hz panel. If you constantly hovering between 100-140 fps, then you get the frames/hz but loosing freesync.

But yes, I get your point. I would rather have freesync monitor than standard panel. I personally wasn't aware that freesync is limited to 100hz, I knew it had the low hz spectrum higher than G-sync, but thought it go all the way to 144hz on 144hz freesync panel same as on the G-syncs

wondering if there is still an embargo on the Benchmarks ? pretty sure Hard OCP already had Vega RX in their offices few days ago...

17. nope

nope Member

Vega is a total abortion.

From the stupid HBM2 meme memory used way too soon to the shitty performance, thermals and everything else about that card.

Oh well at least its good for everything but gaming....

Fuck sake AMD you had one job and you cocked it up

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh wow a 200-400watt paperweight thats slower than a 2 year old 980ti and the 1070 1080 and costs just as much if not more because of the fucking mining boom.

https://youtu.be/DxWkfJ4uvV0

oh and no doubt they will charge $500-1500aud+ for this absolute turd of a card

18. Bertross

Bertross Member

youre linking FE results????

19. joerandom

joerandom Member

He is, but it's still an abortion..
    Marketing was hiding results and skewing things and benchmarks to their favor.

If it smashed a 1080 we would have had AMD throwing that out there everywhere.

20. nope

nope Member

The retail card will be even slower