AMD Vega GPU

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Agg, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

Yep so order from US add freight and done. No need to be reamed by Straya tax.

2. jET_M@X

jET_M@X Member

Anyone else thinking RTG will just slap 2 vega chips on 1 pcb like the gold od' days of 290x2 for a 1080 ti competitor?

3. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

A good excuse to run morRAD™ and a superflower 2000w psu

4. power

power Member

can you imagine the TDP?

5. Sledge

Sledge Member

And with the mining boom as it has been, now we know why we've had a mild winter...

6. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

$599 is for Air cooled 295w bundle with discount for Freesync monitor, X370 motherboard, and free games.
    $699 is for water cooled 340w version which is also in a bundle BUT is a higher spec'd card. 13.7 TFLOPS where the air version is 12.66 TFLOPS. What I am unsure of is if you put the air one under water if its guaranteed to hit the higher clocks, perhaps with a bios mod to get the extra power?

on another note:

How much of this do we believe? are they really going to try with the minimum FPS battle over the average/max?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  7. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Won't these cards be snapped up by miners?

I read some where Vega fe was a good miner, if it wasn't the price, so wouldn't a higher speed cheaper card be more in favour?

8. jji7skyline

jji7skyline Member

From that range, it seems like the average will be similar enough anyway that the minimums would definitely come into play when making a purchasing decision. Still, I'm very keen to see some benchmarks to see what real world performance is like. HBM is definitely the future.

9. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Have to remember that during the last mining boom, AMD must have lost some gamers moving to Nvidia ecosystem.

Ie if the couldn't buy a R290x or R390x due to mining, than gamers would have moved to Nvidia and some would have bought Gsync monitors.... gsync owner won't be coming back.

10. jji7skyline

jji7skyline Member

You're right, but the real solution here is for AMD to improve their production and distribution speed. If there is plenty of supply then the miners can get their fill of cards, and gamers can get their cards at fair prices.

Meanwhile AMD makes a ton of money ;)

11. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Well, a few big studio's are implementing it in upcoming titles - Wolf II, Far Cry 5 are the big ones upcoming. So it will be very interesting to see how it performs next to Nvidia in these titles -

Unlike, making proper use of Asyncronous compute, FP16 is something that's been around for ages, doesn't take that much effort to implement, and is had a resurgence already in mobile.. I wouldn't expect much feet dragging on this one.

12. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Given how much TDP drops with lower clocks - probably not that insane. Still a terrible idea though.

13. jET_M@X

jET_M@X Member

no need for a heater in the computer room? just ge near the gpu exhaust vent?? :D

14. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

We talking Vega or 290? :p.

15. jtam01

jtam01 Member

What do you guys think? I'm by no means that knowledgeable on how gpus work. From what I understand Navi will be on 7nm. Given infinity fabric provides pretty decent scalability. Does this mean that since current Vega is 14nm, you could fit at least fit 2 Vega architecture gpus chips onto the one PCB?

Even if it's only a 85% (from my limited understanding it could be near 100%) performance improvement its going to be very impressive. So lets say Nvidia improve performance from Pascal to Volta by 50% and the 1080ti is roughly 35% faster than Vega. We could almost see matching performance as early as next year / iteration?

The other option is to just have 2 Vega gpus onto one PCB but bring down the base clock to reduce power draw.

I'll assume that since Nvidia are just sitting on Volta they can only bring in their version of infinity fabric on their product line after Volta.

16. PRiME2007

PRiME2007 Member

Nvidia has no need to release Volta to consumers, explain the marketing sense of doing that to me please? Keeping in mind the 1080ti kills AMD and they could easily drop the price to sell more..

Yep, I would say NVIDIA will sit on the Volta nest egg until competition dictates its needed because there making more money in the private sector with that chipset and a consumer product any time in the future would kill that margin due to price drops.

If NVIDIA release volta before 1yr I will eat my boots! you might get a rebranding of pascal first perhaps.

PS. Vega FE aka as RX Vega got 31MH/s BEFORE THE CRASH, so are they good miners? not really.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  17. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Why because in business making money is key, the sales will drop. Very few who has a TI will buy another TI.

Considering how old pascal is, Nvidia has to release new product.

Just like people who have iPhone 7 won't buy another one, even if it is 20% cheaper, nor does it entice an android user if one hasn't convinced them to change ecosystem. The law of dimishing returns in sales.

Furthermore by dangling Volta less people will buy Vega and absolutely crush AMD Vega numbers. If so will AMD management increase precious $$ for R&D in GPU or redirect the lion share to Ryzen

18. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Ethereum ain't the only alt coin :thumbup:

19. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

Looks like the AMD/Bethesda partnership is starting to pay off. Wolfenstein 2 will support FP16 shaders

https://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics...tein-2-Optimized-AMD-Vega-FP16-Shader-Support

As I'd noted a while back, on the PS4 pro's FP16 shaders gave mass effect Andromeda 30% performance boost.

http://gamingbolt.com/mass-effect-a...kerboard-rendering-30-improvement-due-to-fp16

The unknown still will be whether the new geometry engines are up to scratch.

Also interesting, Nvidia looks to be feeling the pressure of the Vega FE and it's actual pro drivers and adding some pro features to the Titan Xp. Good result that the Titan can now actually claim to be a prosumer card legit, but crappy that it took the Vega FE (beating it considerably in pro applications) to do it.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/235701/...l-features-for-titan-xp-through-driver-update

20. Bertross

Bertross Member

Looks good from all angles.