AMD Vega GPU

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Agg, Jan 6, 2017.

1. congoh

congoh Member

You're right. It wasn't designed with gamers in mind.
    It was primarily designed to cater to lucrative growing cloud/AI market where NVidia is making tidy profit.

Vega will keep AMD in the game but I don't think it was ever designed to beat 1080Ti but then again most profit is in the mid card section and Vega56 is looking very competitive in that segment.

I wonder how these will perform under water?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  2. Deano_20802

Deano_20802 Member

It's definitely going to be the one to watch for a lot of people.

I'm very keen to see your results :thumbup:

3. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Considering how hard they pushed pro stuff at Siggraph Vega was clearly for the pro market and gamers were an after thought.

Yeah the 56 looks like it'll be a sure thing especially if it's priced well and performs well but the real question is how badly are we going to get fucked with the pricing.

Water will be interesting, be nice if the 56 had a WC version from an AIB.

Yeah I don't like the power draw of the 64 personally just because of the heat it'll produce, the 56 is more appealing especially if it hits 1080 levels.

4. Loadingdread

Loadingdread Member

I'm hoping the AMD Finewine tech comes along and the 56 and 64 will have a long life where they keep performing. I would probably have stuck with my 290x if was just using a 1080p monitor rather than a 1440p one.

5. Unframed

Unframed Member

I'll be grabbing a 64, whether I use the stock AIO version or set up aftermarket AIO is the real question and that depends on how much extra it is here.

6. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Don't forget ocing a 56 to 64 rx / Aio level will result in 64rx / aio levels of power draw , so don't go for one for its default tdp alone if you intend to OC the shot out of it.. That aside though, The prospect of a gtx1070 price card being able to be pushed to if not beyond 1080 levels is appealing, (given you can't really achieve this with a 1070)

7. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

Yeah true.

In general for Vega air cooled especially you'll be better off undervolting Vega a bit until it runs at boost clock all the time or to suit whatever power draw goal you have, then if it's got any overclocking headroom clock it up. GamersNexus already played with this a bit on the Vega FE with sucess. Vega similar the rx 580 and Fury X uses quite a bit of power for the performance because it's got high volts going through it for what the architecture can handle.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2...tion-undervolt-benchmarks-improve-performance

8. SiriusDragon

SiriusDragon Member

Vega is reminding me of the GTX 480... which I have no problem with as I actually didn't mind the GTX 480... I've still got 4 of them actually and they're amazing cards when you cool them well and give them plenty of power.

Assuming there's a custom card with a big enough VRM *or* the stock VRM is up to the task, heat and power consumption is irrelevant to me...

Anyway, time will tell. I'll be keeping an eye on buildzoid's teardowns for sure :D

9. terroristone

terroristone Member

ill wait and see if the 56 can get to the 64 levels, either way i'll be using a full cover block on it. if the 64 can go a bit faster because of vrm etc design i'll get one. I couldn't care less about power draw not fussed if it uses 600w.

T1

10. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

11. jET_M@X

jET_M@X Member

if those tech powerup leaked benchmarks are true then the vega rx 56 is the equivalent of 1080 at a big discount.

12. partybear

partybear Member

What do you guys think the best way to get a vega 56 as soon as it comes out would be? I have never bought a graphics card on release but my current one died not long ago and I am keen to get vega.

Is there somewhere I can preorder it or something?

13. buellersdayoff

buellersdayoff Member

I used this site to get a 1080Ti when the custom boards launched http://www.nowinstock.net/ I've had no trouble ordering from Amazon or b&hphoto, items arriving within 7 days. Always purchase my gpus from US because AU prices are just ridiculous. The one time I purchased from Newegg (motherboard, great discount) didn't show up within a month of waiting. Contacted support politely via chat, got a refund. Then another 2 weeks later the board arrived...freebie

14. Sledge

Sledge Member

And yet ppl were saying the 64 was equal to the 1080...
    how can that be???

time will tell

15. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

Yeah we just have to wait for the real numbers.

64's extra capability might no be seeing clear gaming advantages yet. Or there is some kind of bottleneck...

16. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Some potentially bad news for us, Vega rumoured to have a mining has rate of 70 - 100 per card.

Depending on price, power draw and how far it can undervolt we may lose a hell of a lot of Vega cards quickly if this is true. It doesn't say which card but if its the 56... grab one while you can because that hash rate is pretty good considering the power draw / USD pricing.

Edit, also if it hasn't been posted yet it looks like the 56 version will be arriving in September according to eTeknix & Fudzilla. That's just a straight kick in the fucking balls.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  17. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

RX Vega 56 is releasing in September yes, was announced at the same time RX Vega 64 was launched.

Same time span as the R9 290x and R9 290, HD7970 and HD7950, so on and so forth

18. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Ah, I didn't heard the 56 was being released in September, didn't see people bitching about it on Reddit etc.

Edit, the hash rate is a bit concerning especially if it was on the 56 version. However I noticed it's apparently Ethereum hash rate... Ethereum is going PoS in a few months (means you can't mine it) so while miners will make some money the long term investment may not be worth the upfront cost especially when you factor in power draw and the price inflation. Suppose we'll have to wait and see.

19. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Yeah I don't believe those benchmarks at all.

1. It makes Vega 64 dead in the water. The extra 45W it uses must do absolutely nothing.

2. It makes it look like AMD were making their cards look really bad.

3. It means a $399 card would compete against the 1080 which directly goes against the price comparisons AMD made with freesync and keeping the real price hidden.

There is no reason for a business to launch a product with no hype, or even negative hype.

20. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

Scorptec have 3 on their website, however no products actually showing.

Same thing happened with 1080 ti. When is actual release day for vega?

[​IMG]