1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

AMD Vega GPU

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Agg, Jan 6, 2017.

1. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Have you ever considered trying to become a "glass-half-full" kind of guy, rather than a "smash-glass-on-ground-and-shit-on-it" kind of guy?

2. bart5986

bart5986 Member

This isn't true, devs can't code it unless they created their game with DX12 in mind, which is only a small selection of games.

Crossfire/SLI compatibility is almost entirely dependent on Nvidia/AMD.

Game developers have two options

1. Switch to a game engine that is already well supported in dual GPU (Frostbite etc)

2. Spend the next 3 years remaking the game in DX12 to support DX12 dual GPU.

By 2020 or later dual GPU might have a chance, today its dead in the water.

You can't do this with dual GPU.

There is literally nothing AMD can do to make Vega work better in Crossfire then their previous cards. Same with Nvidia.

Dual GPU's are not a hardware issue.

Yes but as I mentioned before, there's maybe 2 games today that support that? By the time dual GPU DX12 matters Vega will be history.

3. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Consider that you'd be looking at a 50 TFlop card with an Ares IV, and surely, for the space it occupies (assuming single slot with waterblock), that could be advantageous to other markets aside from gaming.

4. Bertross

Bertross Member

Rendering beast!

5. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I'm not saying the product shouldn't exist.

I'm just against the product because its going to be marketed as performing well in games.

Most benchmarks will likely choose games that support dual GPU while completing ignoring new games that are released as well as older games that are still GPU heavy but never received dual GPU support.

Whats worse is that this dual GPU card will likely be clocked slower so the average game will perform worse then a regular Vega card, and even worse if its one of the many games with negative scaling.

I'm just salty as I'm a previous AMD dual card owner and its amazing how easy it is to be mislead. AMD did mislead a lot for the 6990 and 295x cards.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  6. Athlonman_2nd

Athlonman_2nd (Banned or Deleted)

Here's the thing about AMD video cards...

7. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

As already said devs have to code for it, unless Nvidia start doing dual gpu cards which won't happen it's always going to be niche.

as far as multi die gpu's on one package, this should end up being handled like threadripper/epyc cpu's, stiched together at a hardware level with a high speed bus, presented as one gpu to the O/S. AMD essentially split the bulk of Fury and now Vega in 4 large rendering pipelines anyways, so not a huge stretch to put each of these on a seperate die in the next gen Navi.

8. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Thats been done before, pretty sure it was the Voodoo2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3dfx_Interactive#SLI

I don't think we'll see it again.

9. Unframed

Unframed Member

No that's just normal SLI.
    Snoop's suggestion is very different and I think would work if either company saw value in implementing it.

10. bart5986

bart5986 Member

There was a card that worked like that and that wikipedia article seems to say Voodoo worked in a similar way that all the dual GPU was handled in the card, the OS saw one card which meant it worked in 100% of games.

They were separate cards.. but its the same idea.

Either way its not an implementable solution as the workload is completely different to CPU's.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  11. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

12. bart5986

bart5986 Member

13. Unframed

Unframed Member

Well we don't really know, none of us are hardware engineers. Maybe it is possible but R&D would cost more than returns or something. It's all theoretical.

14. Mensuri

Mensuri Member

Except AMD have already pumped a load into R&D for it with EPIC and TR.

Yes CPU's are different from GPU's but its still placing two or more small chips on an interposer so the OS just sees the interposer as the CPU/GPU.

This could be where one 580 core either side of some HBM could give > Vega performance at < cost to manufacture let alone the R&D cost for Vega.

Their Ryzen approach was executed well, one smaller die to scale to a range of performance targets. Especially as GPU work is generally more parallel and so may see greater benefit from the approach than CPU's.

15. bart5986

bart5986 Member

There's no point in changing anything right now.

It doesn't matter how you implement multiple GPU's you run into the same limitations.

Hopefully we will eventually see all new games that come out using DX12 and its dual GPU features, at that point you can run 4 GPU's in any way you like and enjoy close to 4x the performance.

16. nope

nope Member

all i wanted was a card that was good at 4k and decent performance all round but its just such a disappointment.

:upset:

Might just get a freesync screen anyway and swap back to amd if they unfuck their gpu's

Wait for Navi 202x ;_;

17. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Considering both AMD & Nvidia have said there moving away from multi GPU (or at least 3 - 4) goes to show multi GPU is probably a thing of the past.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the same idea as TR on a GPU with Navi especially if they can get the manufacturing process cheaper like Ryzen. Multiple small dies on a single card, hardware linked like TR, removes the constant software problems we have with SLI and crossfire while in theory anyway keeping costs, power and temps down with performance up.

Personally that's the way I want to see everything move, AMD proved that at least for CPU's it can be done and done cheap so if GPU's could go that way as well it'd be better for everyone.

18. Bertross

Bertross Member

just buy a 1080ti already and move on.... thats what i did. You should have about $20,000 in your pocket for how long you have wanted a new GPU.

19. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

These Vega RX cards will be the better choice for buyers in a year or twos time vs 1080, if the person is looking to upgrade 2nd hand and save a fortune by upgrading a generation back.

By than most games will be optimised for DX12 and I doubt 4k would be mainstream even in 2019.

Its actually not a bad idea, unless you have jumped to 4k now.

I mean arent every game 1080p 60hz with 780ti or 290 good enough?

20. nope

nope Member

I'd be tempted but considering it struggles to get 30fps at 4k in pubg ill just wait for volta

who the fuck wants to wait another 2 years?

None of these cards can do 4k now let alone in 1-2 years