AMD Vega GPU

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Agg, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Keep dreaming, Bitcoin hit $4000 AUD on the 5th, its now at $4210 and going up. Biggest drop was on the 16th of July with the low being $2375 AUD, since then it's been climbing slowly.

2. Korbah

Korbah Member

On a more positive note - surely the mining craze has helped line AMD's pockets in recent times with polaris cards in short supply across the globe. Without mining I imagine going up against nvidia purely in the gaming market would be a more dire situation.

Perhaps AMD will be able to use the capital to improve drivers and future products?

3. boneburner

boneburner Member

wait... (because i'm only watching this out of the corner of my eye) so the whole thing is delayed to September???

4. PRiME2007

PRiME2007 Member

GPU's are useless for bitcoin, Ethereum is all the craze these days, and maybe zcash in the future with NVIDIA hardware. I think people get 18MH/s from a RX580 now days compared to a month or so ago where it was getting 28MH/s.

If these Vega cards can achieve 100MH/s however with bios and driver tweaking, its going to be spell DOOM for all gamers! back to solitare for us poor folk I think :(
    Note: Initial testing of Vega FE was bad for mining but some tweaks later and apparently its quite a different story, so we will see.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  5. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

RX Vega 64 will be on shelves next week

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  6. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

I wouldn't be surprised if initially they undercooked some parts of the driver to make it bad for mining. Then everyone nerd raged out it not beating a 1080ti so they went fuck you all mining unlocked. Now everyone who was imma buy a 1080ti (but cannot actually afford one cause the peolle who can have) are worried all the miners will buy them.

7. lowdog

lowdog Member

No they won't be......miners will snap them up immediately and big wig:tired: miners will buy them in the 10's of hundreds if possible so us plebs won't even get a look in. We will just have to play Russian roulette and buy them second hand once miners have burnt out the memory vrm. Fuggin miners :thumbdn:

8. Rockman.EXE

Rockman.EXE Member

And then they'll be like: "We just gave AMD heaps of money, which will be R&D for an even better gen of cards!"

Which in turn they'll snap up again...

9. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

The 64 could turn miners away still because of the power draw and we still have no clue about the heat...

Just because a card is good at mining doesn't mean it'll be worth the money, if it pulls to much power, produces to much heat and costs to much the investment worth may not be there.

10. jpw007

jpw007 Member

That's why the 1060's and 1070's are so popular rather than 1080 and 1080Ti. Upfront and running costs. It's us gamers that don't really give much of a shit because we're not running the GPU's 24/7

11. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Exactly, miners evaluate everything before buying, especially the big companies because they need to be damn sure it's worth it before they buy. Just look at how long it took before the 500 series started getting snapped up.

If any Vega GPU will be a target for miners it'll be Vega 56, powers low enough which means heat should be low and if they can undervolt / overclock it while getting 50 - 70MH/s that's golden for mining but the real question will be price especially for Aus miners.

12. Chaffe

Chaffe Member

I think we're all forgetting who AMD's biggest customers are; console makers. AMD still need feedback on their cards from those using them in games as I'd imagine Vega Refresh might be what ends up in some consoles.

13. rickoles

rickoles Member

AMD use APU's in consoles, not GPU's. You'll likely see Ryzen APU's in the next consoles and it's anybody's guess which graphics architecture they'll be based on.

14. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

New APU's will probably be based on Zen & Vega / Navi, Raven Ridge is Zen & Vega, which some variant will probably go in laptops & tablets soon.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  15. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

Depends what sort of miner you are, if you're mining due to speculative value and you think Ethereum or Zcash are the winner you might solely mine one or the other. You can also just direct mine any old 'Alt coin' and exchange it for something else (like BTC or even Fiat), you can also just use something like NiceHash and sell your hashing power for BTC.

https://whattomine.com

Nah, not even close, we've maybe had a ~ 5% drop in hashing power in 3 months as the DAG has increased, my 480's are ~ 27.5MH/s atm.

I wouldn't bet on that, you can run the voltage of mining cards on a knife edge, a lot tighter than you can with gaming. I.e. if you look at Gamers Nexus' clip where he undervolted the Vega FE and had different results in stability in different games.

Running something like Claymore for Ethereum, it's a controlled equation in a controlled (temperature, etc) environment, on top of that, you might sacrifice 10% clock speed for 40% reduction in power consumption (figures pulled from air) once you find that clock/volts/hash sweet spot you're laughing. If that hash rate is correct even unoptimised it's beating Polaris.

I agree, I think Vega 56 will be the sweet spot with a lower initial investment, it just depends where the strengths are and if the lower clocked and (possibly lower volted) HBM2 makes a significant impact. On the flip side, if the memory isn't the limiting factor (it is on Polaris) miners might be after as much core performance as they can get, which means the 64 will be the sell out (after weighing in cost and possibly higher power draw though, it still might not).

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  16. taldoren

taldoren Member

You do know miners are people as well....Its not like they get a VIP badge that lets them buy ahead of you....

End of the day, those that get in first will get the goods...

17. Bertross

Bertross Member

If amd see demand they will make a miming version im sure. You can already buy in bulk from scortec in lots of 20

18. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

Yeah but they're no good, resale is a factor, particularly for small time miners.

I personally don't think miners are the issue, it's price gouging from retailers/wholesalers/manufacturers that hurts everyone.

Also.

[​IMG]

Just cause.

19. Bertross

Bertross Member

The gouging is pretty bad. Partly why i moved to a 1080ti. Buy the best forget the rest. :)

20. terroristone

terroristone Member

i was considering looking to jump onto a pre order but im going to wait and see what reviews show up on the partner cards, if im investing that much money id rather spend a little more if i can get more. As ive stated i couldnt care less about what the power draw is or how its cooler performs as ill be using a full cover block regardless.

T1