AMD Vega GPU

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Agg, Jan 6, 2017.

1. power

power Member

good miners get free electricity and have their heat under control. ;)

2. taldoren

taldoren Member

Again though, not all that simple. no idea yet on bios / firmware - undervolting for em, and there are also quite a few that pay less (if anything) for power.

Then there is replacing 2 cards for 1 - allowing a single rig to increase it's yield per footprint.

Difficulty will always go up - likewise the value per X coin also does not remain static ....

3. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Stock hashrate/w looks pretty terrible on all the other cards too ;) But no one runs stock for mining.

580: ~28Mhs /180w = 6W/Mhs
    1060 ~ 19-20Mhs / 120w = 6W/Mhs
    1070 ~25Mhs/150w =6W/MHs

Rumored vega: ~70mhs/295w =4.21w /Mhs

and on top of that, you get it all in one PCIe slot.

The only saving grace will be if the rumored numbers are complete BS.

4. MotoMan

MotoMan Member

You are a dying breed...

And Amazon returns are some of the easiest I've ever had... From the US store... Can only get better with AU opening

5. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

So there will be millions of used 1060s and 1070s on the market in a few months

:thumbup:

6. Darko

Darko Member

Yep, members here do the same in the for sale forum

7. lowdog

lowdog Member

DON'T BUY THEM! miners need to fug off, by buying them you just give em more $$$$ to buy out Vega and if you happen to want Vega for a single PC to game on you'll be fucked, you'll be on a heaven knows when back order because of miners and be paying an over the top price for it :tongue:

Oh and did I say fug miners yet??....well fug miners :tired:

8. jET_M@X

jET_M@X Member

does the forums allow miners to sell their bulk lot of cards here??

9. DarkStyle

DarkStyle Member

It is not going to get better with drivers, it is not a driver issue (it is the architectural design). It is 40mh/s, do not expect it to get any better. It is between 2.5 and 3 Teraflops faster than a 1080 Ti. If you're using mining, don't just use Ethereum as the Benchmark.

Rumour on reddit floating around is that it is 2.5x as profitable to use Vega to mine XMR than it is to use ETH, making your hash rate figures useless on a dollar input vs. dollar output comparison

10. Bertross

Bertross Member

some of them have been already. I think they need permission before allowing the sale to open.

11. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

Yeah computers only exist to play games on, it's ridiculous that people try to use them for anything else especially as a source of income or speculative investment.

How about AMD's Project 47, 1 Petaflop using 20 EPYC CPU's and 80 Vega GPU's for "deep learning" peh, that's 80 less CPU's for playing GTA5 in ultra 4K amirite. :rolleyes: what a waste.

12. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Mining craze is great for average Gamers and AMD/Nvidia

Not everyone can drop $600 to $1000 on a gaming card, if they gamers can get them 6 or 12 months later with 2 years warranty left for $300 to $500, its a win.

13. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

Also supply and demand is still a thing, if there isn't enough supply the price increases as the price increases the demand drops.

Most miners actually run on relatively tight margins (and aim to maximise profit), it's not just palming off dollar bills out their lambo windows buying any old overpriced GPU, though of course there are cases when FOMO blows out of proportion.

We are already seeing this start to subside as more and more ex-mining GPU sales come through, which is great as these second hand prices will come down, there will be an over supply then miners and gamers might start be looking at these secondhand options rather than brand new.

I also see this as a good thing for AMD as more funding in general boosts profits which hopefully increases funding for future development from which we all win.

I really want to get a Vega 64 in the media pc for feet up controller gaming but also for idle mining, if the price is too high I'll have to weigh up the extra cost vs the profits I would have lost waiting for a better price.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  14. Darko

Darko Member

You'd be taking a risk buying used mining cards I certainly wouldn't do it.

15. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Gaming isnt critical, as long as one gets cards with warranty left I dont see that as an issue?

If I think back to Uni days and part time work, if I could get top of the range card for half the price with a year or two warranty left I would jump at it.

16. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

Many people share this opinion, though from all the mining card's I've had those that weren't DOA (new) the only issues I've had are fans failing.

17. lowdog

lowdog Member

Most of the time the memory is fucked on them or at least starting to glitch out.

18. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Would you say no to a CPU and RAM combo that spent its whole life encoding video?

When's the last time anyone ever saw a CPU or RAM "wear out"?

The only dead CPUs I've ever seen were physically damaged. RAM... similar story.

19. c4dderly

c4dderly Member

We need a tight-ass thread for all these people who complain about local retail prices and second hand mining gpu sales. They can debate each other till the end of time ;)

20. power

power Member

you rarely see dead CPU's but faulty ram - fuck see that all the time.