AMD Vega GPU

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Agg, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Metora

Metora Member

It depends on your resolution. Here's a good example:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/11717/the-amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-and-56-review/8

At higher resolutions (where a high end card should be) its certainly up there and in some cases beyond a 1080. If your running at a low resolution (1080p for example) then you'd be loosing out.

As for price, PLE had them up for that price for a while. You can still get it at that, if you buy the bundle with the Ryzen and MB too...

2. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

PLEase read thread before trolling:lol:

3. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

Probably still not worth it, who wants a Flanders Edition exactly?

4. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

I'm just glad that AMD finally have something out that is somewhat competitive with nVidia in the mainstream - even if they're going to get trounced next year when Volta is released.

We need this kind of competition to drive the industry forward, and reduce the amount that us consumers get price gouged.

5. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

True, but if one is locked into AMD ecosystem and with the indications that AIC cards will be more expensive than FU edition, well it's worth the go to get introductory price.

I wonder what's a better performer inclusive of Freesync

Vega 56 + Freesync monitor
    1080 + Freesync monitor

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  6. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

I still don't understand why people think if you have a freesync monitor, you're stuck to AMD?
    It's not like if you plug a freesync monitor into an nvidia card it shoots deadly beans into your eyes then explodes...
    you all know you can turn freesync off and just use a good monitor as a good monitor with any card?

I have an LG 4K freesync in storage, and can report the universe didn't end when it was used with a friend's 1080ti. In fact, it was nice to play without freesync at 4k on a single card. :shock:

also, why is no one calling g sync: expensive sync it would make sense... freesync... expensivesync... get it?!?!?! Huehuehue...
    ...I'll show myself out

Also... lol at Flanders edition and FU edition

7. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

You're missing the point or I'm missing the point since I don't use freesync or gsync.

What I was getting to.... does a weaker Vega card combined with freesync help make it look better that same priced but faster non freesync card.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  8. Ogre

Ogre Member

It depends on how much you value a certain experience. Not a helpful answer I know. But it is some what subjective.

Some people will say Gsync/Freesync is the monitor equivalent to an SSD. But others will just want a very high refresh rate monitor and pump as many frames in to it as possible.

9. Darko

Darko Member

Oh I see, they had them at that price for a while, what about currently?

10. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

I don't know how anyone can not have freesync or gsync.

then again it is one of those "until you've tried it" things.

11. Darko

Darko Member

How was I trolling?

12. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I assume most people here think freesync/gsync = turning on vsync in the options.

13. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

In other slightly related news, cards seem to be coming back down in price.

1060 3gb just cracked under 300 @msy

3G GTX1060 Galax OC= 299

Meanwhile

8G RX VEGA 64 MSI RX VEGA 64 8G= 899

14. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

That price seems decent for a fresh release

I'm tempted to move my 1080 on in favour of one (when the AIB cards are out) so I can get a freesync panel.

15. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Well, it's solidly in the 1080 price range. So it's really a matter of opinion whether it's priced right or not.

16. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  17. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Ease up there, Tiger!
    They still have it listed under Nvidia!

Give it time.

No surprise on the 1060 3gb. They do 1080 quite well, they're in the right price range and they've been selling for well over a year now.

18. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

This is why I purchased Vega despite it not exactly being an absolute slam-dunk win.

I had a Benq 2730Z which is a Freesync 144Hz Panel which was running with a 980Ti.

My 980Ti and Motherboard literally fried themselves the day of Vega 64 release on which I saw on Ozbargain PLE selling editions for $669.

Comparing the price and performance of a 1080 which cost at a minimum $130 more for on the average the same performance and accepting that Vega 64 used a lot more power but would also allow me to use that Freesync that everyone raves about made me choose the Vega. I like Price/Performance to be my main factor and have had Nvidia for my last 3-4 cards but this was the better option AT THAT PRICE of $669.

As a side note, its also easy to see that the raw power of the Vega64 should allow the unit to be faster than it is. The wildly varying performance between some games especially when it comes to DX11 based titles makes me think that the Vega64 drivers are woefully not optimised. I believe they have room to move in performance enhancements here. I however concede that DX11 has always been a weak-spot for AMD cards and they never got the driver overheads down like Nvidia did which is why we may never see any huge gains.

On the flip-side, DX12 games are where Vega64 outperforms the 1080. I expect generally more games to be written for DX12 over time so it should age rather gracefully. I don't upgrade as much as I used to so I would rather keep what I have. Hell, if my 980Ti hadn't burnt itself out, I would have continued to run that happily.

19. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

What is filling the market gap below the 56? It's an expensive first level GPU ... Or are they still selling the RX580 etc?

Is that including mining sales?

:)

20. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Xsync is not everyone's primary consideration when purchasing a monitor.

colour accuracy is key to people like me hence my monitors are factory calibrated 99% adobe with 10bit colour.