1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

AMD Vega GPU

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Agg, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Bertross

Bertross Member

bahahahahahahaha im not going to comment

2. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

There is a lot more cost pressure then you think in things like the switching market thax to broadcom and switch on chip designs. These aren't 100k a card devices, they are 1k to 10k devices.

So google is using HBM (likely 4 stacks, they quote 600gb/s ) on every TPUv2, there is going to be massive volume from that. NV has it for GP100 and GV100 two products that NV has made massive bets on. AMD has it on Vega , Intel has it on knights mill.

So unless you somehow think these products are all going to fail then HBM2 demand is only going 1 way. But the HBM stacks are only part of the cost, improved packaging yields over time will lower cost, and cost of packaging will likely improve over time as well.

the Dgpu market in terms of shipments has been shrinking for the last 5 years and somehow you think GDDR is going to be the product that has more demand over the long term?

Then there is the simple fact people like synopsis and rambus feel there is enought demand for HBM2 that they have made licence-able HBM2 IP.

HBM3 is 2020 time frame. GDDR6 isn't a free lunch you will pay in power consumption and GDDR will only become more boutique as Dgpu shipments continue to fall.

3. nope

nope Member

Lol did you miss the part where I own a 390x and a 1600x?

Nice logic

anti vega = anti amd

I am only anti shitty GPU's mate, Vega is a absolute fart in the wind, its hotter, runs worse promises features they have not delivered on especially for gaming like Primitive Shaders and "Better Performance"

IF vega wasn't a horrid messup from the factory and had over voltage from the factory for what reason again ? Seriously why I just don't get it.

I wouldn't have to if AMD got off their ass and actually made enough cards so AIB's could fix their stupid stock coolers.

4. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Because you are wrong and just making stuff up.

If there was overvoltage then a quick update would fix it.

Its called silicon lottery and all CPU's/GPU's have it

5. partybear

partybear Member

By the time you decide what to buy the next batch of cards will be out. Just go to your local store and get a vega 56 or gtx 1070 and be happy lol.

6. nope

nope Member

i'd buy a 56 now if there was actual stock and retail prices WITH a decent aftermarket cooler

Wait whats that? AMD fucked up again and I cant? waaaaa

7. Bertross

Bertross Member

8. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Laughed pretty hard at this. Could sum up any CPU/GPU discussion thread, and is almost Sig worthy. :lol:
    I'd like to see people get this worked up over cables! Picture the classic posts in this thread applied to cables:
    BELKIN MAKE THE BEST USB CABLES, EVERYTHING ELSE IS A WASTE OF TIME!
    ALOGIC FUCKED UP THEIR NEWEST ETHERNET CABLES. I'M BUYING A RITMO THAT HAS BEEN OUT FOR OVER A YEAR! :lol:

back on topic, it appears the cards are selling well, which should put AMD in a good position.. At least some competition is back, and when prices level out (people are acting like New GPU's have never been jacked up before) Good times for all. :thumbup:

9. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

10. Frontl1ne

Frontl1ne Member

11. Bertross

Bertross Member

bahahahaha thats the place for it!

Yup i remember getting the first batch or AiB FTW Cards from EVGA because i knew someone in the US who would ship it to me. They sold out instantly too!

12. partybear

partybear Member

If your worried about the stock cooler have a look at this. I just ran furmark for like 10 min with the graphics card at stock balanced mode.

The fan isn't loud and the temp doesn't go above 76 degrees and it doesn't throttle at all.

Since you are so worried about the power draw it isn't like you are going to overclock it either, you might underclock it. If I undervolt mine a bit it doesn't even get into the 70 degree range.

I don't really see the problem with the stock cooler, it is adequate. It isn't amazing but it isn't going to destroy the card or something lol.

Click to view full size!

13. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

14. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

15. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

16. bjk213

bjk213 Member

If anyone using the Fury;

For less money than you paid for AMD Radeon R9 Fury you can get performance that is up to 35% faster and allows you to play the latest games at high settings at 1440p.

17. PRiME2007

PRiME2007 Member

Yeah I have a FuryX in my ITX system now, which is why I swapped it with a 980Ti I had. I really need the smaller form factor or small custom board versions of Vega to exist for it to even be a option, and its sounding like the price could keep going up until next year so maybe I won't get the chance until Navi for a upgrade...

18. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Looks like Umart didn't get Vega 56 yet :lol:.

Dunno if it's been shared yet but Jay put Vega under water, looks like it loves water.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  19. Unframed

Unframed Member

Should be getting my Vega soon, looks like Scorptec have mine in stock now ready to ship.

20. anarchron

anarchron Member

I've recently discovered that good DisplayPort cables actually matter. I couldn't get A-Logic or MSY 3M DP cables to work with my PG348Q at 3440x1440@100Hz but I did get one to work from cablechick.com.au