AMD Vega GPU

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Agg, Jan 6, 2017.

1. bobster

bobster Member

If PLE don't get me stock I will ask for a refund and WC the Ti with the EK fluid gaming kit.

2. Bertross

Bertross Member

Ffs lol a few of my pals are also wcing their 1080tis. Dont make me buy water.... i know ill get hooked and poor.

3. bobster

bobster Member

Ti is best under water, ICX cooler is amazing but the case is soo warm

4. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

My Ti sits on high 20's while gaming .... how can you beat that?

WC FTW !!!

:thumbup:

5. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

I should have bought a Vega 56. It would have been fun to play for a week or two and sell for the same price.

Reasoning Sk Hynix have not started mass producing HBM2 according to their executive in share investment conference on the 4th of August and Hynix is still in discussions with number of buyers about HBM2 mass productions.

Doesn't mean Hynix is not producing HBM2 it just means current Hynix HBM2 modules are being produced on their testing and proving line.

Samsung hasn't anounced new production capacity either, and we would be told if they plan as public companies make these kinds of press release everyday when starting new productions to meet continuous disclosure rules, just like amd was to release something last quarter and released the FE because they stated it last year in their investor briefing.

So it is very possible that there is no shortage of HBM2 modules as such since no one but AMD seems to be having supply to issues.

If Cisco couldn't buy enough modules $250k switches or Nvidia couldn't make $10k tesla cards for hollywood or Google was having supply issues to update their deep learning supercomputer, any single one of them is big enough to forward order making it worthwhile for both Hynix or Samsung (at least one of the who got the order) to crank production. But neither have.

Also another interesting titbit, could it be that it is not AMD but ACS the contracted fabricater who is the one having issues.

Ie amd sends 200 working HBM2 modules and 100 gpu silicon but getting back only 75 finished working die not the 100 it was expecting, this would make already expensive components even more expensive. And neither AMD or ACS would want to mass produce until it has these teething issues solved.

Why I allude to ACS issues is that in May there were rumours that amd is launching Vega FE with 20,000 cards, for FE seems plausible. Today tweaktown just released an article saying supply of Vega Rx at launch was 25,000. If true it seems very low, so low that even without miners demand there would be a massive shortage.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  6. nope

nope Member

took the plunge and got a 1080 for $720

I really wanted a vega 56 but I'm not putting up with a stock cooler again

had one on a 290 and it poisoned me against amd and stock coolers for a long time.

I just don't know guys I think amd fucked up really bad

We have stock overvolt issues, driver issues and stupid supply issues its just to much.

If the 64 magically nears 1080 ti levels for a 1080 price I might swap back in the future but somehow I just don't see it.

Peace boys.

7. havabeer

havabeer Member

see your user name for the 64 vs 1080ti

8. jET_M@X

jET_M@X Member

Lol 56 can be bios flashed to the vega 64 bios to get higher core and memory speeds. Overclocking the vega 56 with the V64 bios by 75Mhz beats the stock Vega 64. Source shown here.So TLDR: Overclocking Vega 56 flashed to V64 bios will actually beat stock Vega 64 and might be competitive against a 1080?

9. Deano_20802

Deano_20802 Member

I'll read it after I finish work, but a WC (or at least good AIB) 56 with a BIOS flash could be a winning combo for people wanting or needing AMD.

10. taldoren

taldoren Member

Until you then OC the 1080...

11. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Haha, shit that's gold.

I saw Jayz2Cents put a block on Vega 64. Haven't seen much on it though since i don't really watch things like that generally, but i have seen some of his videos and was entertained.

12. PRiME2007

PRiME2007 Member

The 64 that Jays2Cents reviewed did around 7FPS better with a much more cooler card (no OC, just auto boosting). He said it wasn't worth it for the added cost unless the VEGA 64 goes for cheap in the future. You must remember a WC EK loop for a GPU is quite expensive to buy into.

I'd be happy for a FuryX reboot design on a VEGA64, with the short card and single watercooler AIO setup. But perhaps its not enough.

13. SCORPTEC

SCORPTEC Member

Wow. That's an insanely low ROI.

14. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Hooo weee. That's shithouse. Still 7fps is at least something. I wonder what a 1080 Ti gains under water...

15. SCORPTEC

SCORPTEC Member

My quick googling failed to bring up actual FPS numbers, but the 1080Ti easily gains 200-300Mhz under water as far as overclocking is concerned.

16. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Fps gain might not look like much on its own but removing throttling is worth it, it's weird buying a powerful GPU or CPU to have clocks throttle anyway ... At least with water it will hold steady clocks at full load.

:)

17. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

That's awesome, thanks for posting.

Roughly 1080 performance for as low as $579 is very good value, even comparing overclocked versions. The cheapest GTX 1080 at the moment is $725, ~$600 is 1070 money.

Very tempting for the tinkerer.

18. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

if i had an unlimited budget id have 1080ti's

duh-ville. it's all about your budget. 579? good price

19. bobster

bobster Member

I ordered mine from PLE at $579, not bad price at will, will sell my Ti when it come then put at waterblock in it

20. havabeer

havabeer Member

That's just annoying that the card can be pushed to those limits but AMD won't release it as a proper card??