1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

AMD Vega GPU

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Agg, Jan 6, 2017.

1. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Yeah I was struggling a bit on overclocking my Vega 64. If I try HBM above 1025MHz, it seems to just stick to 800MHz, even with voltage increases. My best bet was to leave it on Auto Voltage with 1025.If I try undervolt the core or increase frequency it typically doesnt work. I found leaving it at auto was my best option.

In the end, I increased my fans ability a smidgen and upped the Power Limt to +50% along with HBM at 1025MHz.

My results in 3Dmark Firestrike

6700K + 980Ti (overclocked hard) - 17572
    6700K + Vega 64 balanced - 17920
    6700K + HBM 1025 + Power Limit 150% - 19084

Anyone got any tips for UV/OC on Vega 64.

2. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

From what I've heard about that Asus card it's just a 1080 cooler slapped on Vega so cooling is pretty meh, probably also why they did fuck all tweaks to the card it's self.

3. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

The old 980Ti holds up well.

:thumbup:

4. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Yeah it does. Wouldn't have replaced it had it not melted down and let out the magic smoke.

5. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

a lot of grfx cards (nvidia aswell) seem to neglect to cool these components. w t f. built-in redundancy.

surely it is a simple enough exercise to put some thermal pads on them :rolleyes:

https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/amd/rxvega56/full_history.php - :lol: cya later amd vega

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

They probably ignore VRM's because they can easily run over 100° so why bother focusing on cooling them? gotta save dem precious pennys :rolleyes:.

7. boneburner

boneburner Member

It occurs to me that the biggest fatality in this tepid Vega saga, is better availability/choice of freesync monitors *sigh*

8. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

so why bother putting coolers on them on a motherboard / pcb?

9. Frontl1ne

Frontl1ne Member

On the flip side (I went with nvidia after Vega's launch), seeing all the gsync monitors cost an extra $200 over the freesync variants sucks :(

10. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Yeah if you really wanted Variable Sync, it made more sense to go Vega (at a respectable price) + Freesync. I got the $669 Vega 64 so its more than value.

Just working to get the most out of it.

11. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Because people will bitch lol and CPU's can pull a shit load more power / produce more heat than GPU's can if you seriously push them.

The VRM design on Vega is pretty expensive according to GN so saving a few cents on the cooling is probably the best way to save money unless they charge an utter fortune for the cards without ever dropping the price.

That'd be the proprietary G-Sync module bumping up the price, Nvidia can easily charge $200 extra for it's manufacture plus use of it because well, Nvidia.

I'd love to see someone do a break down of the module and work out the exact cost of components, I bet it'd be worth maybe $50 - $75 total build, probably much less than that even.

12. luke o

luke o Member

Agreed! A lack of an ips 30'' freesync screen is what's stopping me

13. Tazor

Tazor Member

There are plenty of VA panels though, and some WMVA panels are just as good, if not better, than IPS in some respects.

Check out Samsung's CHG70 which is an awesome piece of kit by the look of it.

14. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

Note exactly a teardown, but this review has a high res a photo of one. It's got an Altera Arria V FPGA rather than say an general purpose ARM chip or ASIC so it's probably dearer than say a rasbery pi to produce. Since then they might have revised the module.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7582/nvidia-gsync-review

15. maxrig

maxrig Member

This monitor is trash for HDR. People need to watch reviews before buying HDR PC monitor just to be safe these days. 300-400 nits are not good enough to have a good HDR experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BuKtMfHT00&t=66s

16. Tazor

Tazor Member

Didn't know there were reviews, I'll check it out, thanks for sharing.

17. boneburner

boneburner Member

The g-sync module's history is a tortured one. It was only necessary in the beginning - "In order to get shipping variable refresh monitors in the market last year, NVIDIA had no choice but to create a module to replace the scalar in modern displays. No monitors existed then with embedded DisplayPort interfaces and the standard had not been created for Adaptive Sync" - PC Perspective

Now it feels as welcome as any proprietary plug/interface and simply reeks of padding the bottom line.

18. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

representn' :Pirate:

Just bought a HIS Vega 56, couldn't help myself. Will tinker with it, flash the 64/Liquid bios on it then see if I can adapt some sort of AIO to it.

19. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

20. partybear

partybear Member

I was messing around with overclocking and wasn't having much luck. So I went on hwbot to see the top overclocks, and they are only like 40 mhz more then I got. The cards just don't seem to overclock very well.