AMD Vega GPU

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Agg, Jan 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

According to some dude named buildzoid suggesting the Vcore voltage will follow the HBM Memory voltage if it is higher.

2. Unframed

Unframed Member

Whoever came up with the bundle crap and the discounts and then deciding that it was only for very specific bundles, at specific retailers, in specific regions... otherwise you pay out the arse, they should be fired.

3. PRiME2007

PRiME2007 Member

If they hire another 1000 people to work on the drivers and firmware for the cards, I'd think they have a clear winner. But atm its difficult to say given the huge amounts of power usage just to beat a 1080 reference card by a couple percent.

AIB cards are taking far too long to come to market, I hope there is some good ones like custom boards with reduced size. Perhaps something like the FuryX for cooling, nice and small and effective (except for the motor whine issue due to it going too high RPM)

4. Bertross

Bertross Member

Asus already have the strix. They look identical to their NV lineup or RX 580. Not sure what the hold up on stocks are though. I guess AMD want the reference ones cleared out first?

5. nope

nope Member

Oh you don't have to worry he "quit" oh I'm sorry I meant he went on a sabbatical

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/59104/rtg-boss-takes-sabbatical-lisa-su-over/index.html

6. boneburner

boneburner Member

err... yes - he was saying that because that news was posted 4 hours ago. read back a bit

7. nope

nope Member

see my username

8. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

This is maybe not the ideal place to post this but ...

This is my system atm - Ryzen 1700 at 4.0ghz on a CH6 with Gskil ram at 3333mhz and a EVGA 1070FE.

Click to view full size!

My Vega64 is due to arrive before the weekend with an EK block.

The current case is a Fractal Design Define S which as you can see is pretty ok for my 360 and 240 rads.

BUT I now also have an Enthoo Primo and some more Phanteks fans.

Will it be worth transplanting my entire system and replumbing my watercooling (keeping in mind this is my first ever loop) into the Primo. Will there be any benefit??. I could add another 240 rad that I have lying around if I do so but ....

I had planned to keep the primo for another build either coffee lake or somesuch but not sure how the fundage will work for that so I am all over the shop :)

Very excited about the Vega 64 though and glad I ordered the block. Will need some help on getting the Liquid cooled bios on it though.

Thoughts anyone - is the primo going to help cooling over the define S?? etc etc

9. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2rQgQZLyOE

This video shows basically that your HBM Voltage in Wattman basically controls your Vcore voltage and any previous suggestions to set it to 1200 is not great.

It also tells us that setting P6/P7 state to the same value causes severe slow downs so keep that disparity up.

So with all that in mind, I set about reclocking my card and got my highest score and by far my lowest temperatures.

Firestrike Graphics – 24067
    P6 Speed = 1522 MHz
    P6 Voltage = 1010mV
    P7 Speed = 1572 MHz
    P7 Voltage = 1010mV
    HBM Speed = 1060 MHz
    HBM Voltage = 1010mV
    Power Limit = +50%

Temps ended up between 60-70 instead of maxing out at 85degC

https://imgur.com/a/5PSKW

This isnt tweaked as good as I can get it, but I have had enough tweaking for one day and cbf'd. Time to play some games.

10. terroristone

terroristone Member

I had boot issues when using the 64 lc bios, went back to the air 64 bios and no more issues. I never changed the volts except for adding +50. it makes sense that they reflect on each other given the ram and gpu are on one chip. Do a log with the new gpuz and also note the "gpu hot spot" in the log.

T1

11. PRiME2007

PRiME2007 Member

I find it interesting that so many people are spending money on a VEGA64 and EK water kit, this makes the card as expensive if not more so then a 1080Ti which can overclock on fan cooling quite high and do at minimal %25 faster then VEGA64.

Just seems odd to me, I hope people are happy in the long run, and hopefully AMD can improve on the drivers a fair bit so all the watercooling pays off.

EDIT: Shame to hear HBM2 can't be volted separately.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  12. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

Temps and Noise, same reason people watercool anything (at least that's why I'm doing it)

I think your pricing it a bit off as well Vega 64 (In stock) + EK Block is $868

13. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

nice loop thats exactly what im saving for :)

14. Unframed

Unframed Member

So last night playing overwatch my Vega 64 LC overheated. Core temp topped 60 degrees but there's a "hotspot" GPU-Z detects that was 90 degrees and while monitoring during a heaven test it went over 90 and hard shut down my PC again.

Thinking that's an RMA

15. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Oh boy... Joker did a video about Raja taking a sabbatical, he's suggesting maybe Raja is being pushed out over the fail of Vega :rolleyes:... Guess he doesn't realise Navi is Raja's baby so doing anything to him could jeopardise that severely.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  16. Unframed

Unframed Member

Aaaaaand I've applied for an RMA

17. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Shithouse! Hopefully an isolated incident and not a reflection on Saphire

18. Unframed

Unframed Member

Well it's the Liquid cooled version so I don't think Sapphire did anything AFAIK. All versions look identical. I'm hoping it's a once off and looks to be the case as I've tried googling the "hotspot" overheating or overheating and cannot find anything about overheating on the LC version.

19. terroristone

terroristone Member

ive said it twice in here now. Do a log with the new gpuz, and check that hot spot reading.

Unframed - Was yours at stock settings when it hard locked??

The reason I went with AMD is I have a freesync monitor, and id prefer to support the under dog, and for the games I play I don't need anything faster.

Putting a water block onto my 64 ties into the rest of my build, and cost is something I don't consider on some parts of my PC's nor is power usage.

T1

20. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

I think this is a Wattman bug, certainly not intentional.. what he's found reflects the behaviour i've seen, but i've worked around it by following a certain order of doing things.. I can run 800mv with HBM solder @ 1200mv, (and 1100Mhz) , providing I set the P7 voltage last, followed by adjusting power limit (any change in limit seems to trigger it actually apply the undervolt)

this new info will certainly help though if one can just leave it on a low mv setting knowing it won't inhibit hbm2 clock

are you certain it's the card initiating this shutdown? Seems very odd, and a very low temp to initiate a shutdown at all