AMD Vega GPU

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Agg, Jan 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Ah got ya. I'd be hesitant to throw AMD under the bus either and i'm sure is just bad luck on your part. Bugger that it had to happen to you.

Is that hot spot reading Vega only or applicable to all?

2. Unframed

Unframed Member

Already said, hot spot showed 90 degrees before shutdown.

It was set to turbo.

Not throwing them under the bus, it's disheartening though given the amount of cash I spent on it.

Vega exclusive sensor.

Hotspot was over 90 degrees. Also all temps were being monitored. CPU was around 40 degrees. Mobo was 35 degrees.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  3. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

Thanks [emoji41][emoji41]

4. terroristone

terroristone Member

yeah i did read that, was just reinforcing others to do it so we can all some kind of guide as to what is normal...

Are you able to try to replicate it in another machine? maybe put it in a friends machine just to be sure.

T1

5. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Yah, well I'm sure my 56 hovers around high 80s on this sensor. I can't see 90c being problematic, not can I see AMD GPU driver or Bios initiating a machine shutdown

6. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Sorry, meant that i wouldn't throw them under the bus in my mind. I've still got faith in them that it's an isolated incident :thumbup:

7. Unframed

Unframed Member

Nope, all my other PCs are rackmount and not WC friendly.

I've done some testing.
    Originally thought it was PSU, quick PSU tester run showed adequate power.
    Primary monitor now flickers after first crash (on all sources but HDMI its far more subtle).
    Checked CPU stats and temps in BIOS, set fan speed higher just in case.
    Got into OS, updated GPU-Z and updated to the beta drivers. Monitored temps while running heaven bench. Once Hotspot ticked over 90 system shut down.

8. terroristone

terroristone Member

Ek block or lc edition?

9. partybear

partybear Member

The vega liquid cooled bios has a very low temperature shutoff compared to the other bios. I don't remember the exact numbers but give it a quick google the liquid bios has a lower temp limit. So it is possible that his shut down at that temp.

10. Unframed

Unframed Member

LC edition

11. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

75C shutoff temp according to Buildzoid on youtube, good bios to flash if you going to watercool the card. Vega WC throttles at 65C if I am not mistaken, not too sure if the bios makes Vega throttle too if liquid temp goes over 60C.

12. jpw007

jpw007 Member

It should throttle since generally pumps themselves are cooled by the water running through it so too high of a temp would cause pump failure

13. riot123

riot123 Member

Well replaced the vega 56 stock cooler with rajintek morpheus II.

No longer is it sounding like a leaf blower. :thumbup:

14. buellersdayoff

buellersdayoff Member

On the top rad do you have one fan blowing the opposite direction to the other two, or is it just my eyes?

15. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

It has since been fixed, but yes in that pic one fan is installed backwards..........

Not my greatest moment[emoji35][emoji35][emoji35]

16. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Pumps, hoses and fittings are designed for water temps of 60° or so max. Hotter than that and you'll have more leaks than the Abbott govt.

If your water temps are at 60°, break out the eggs, the CPU is also a frying pan, regardless of whether the GPU is causing the heat or not. The water will be incapable of removing heat from the CPU fast enough.

If the water is hot enough to hurt the pump, and its not a water flow problem, both CPU and GPU are already dead, they just haven't realised it yet.
    If its a GPU or CPU problem they will throttle down to protect themselves, but the threshold is much lower than would be required to make the water get that hot.

Only a flow problem would ever cause water to be hotter than 60°. Throttling isn't to protect the pump.

EDIT: Just realised we might be talking about an AIO GPU here. Same applies though, just remove CPU from the equation. The water temp is always much lower than the GPU temp, if you were to heat the water sufficiently to damage the pump, the GPU will have already long past critical levels.

Bad temps or spikes can be caused by air bubbles though, or a failing pump. Bad water flow will raise CPU temps. Of course TIM is also another possibility.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  17. buellersdayoff

buellersdayoff Member

Cool cool [emoji41]
    If you're gonna change cases only do it to add more radiator space and full size fans, other than that leave it as is and see how it goes temp wise

18. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

anyone know the ETA for non-reference coolers?

19. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Best guess, end of Sep - Nov.

Only "leaked" AIB card I think we've seen is the Asus Strix which basically has a 1080 cooler slapped on it.

20. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Guys, a mate has a 64 and his mem seems to be staying on 500mhz in afterburner regardless of overclock, has anyone seen this happen? He has a 56 too and the 56 is apparently 40% quicker (due to mem clock issue I assume).

Any help would be great.

:thumbup: