AMD Vega GPU

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Agg, Jan 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

Mmm, I wonder which Futuremark demo ultilising rapid packed math AMD was talking about in the AMD Vega marketing video.

2. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

Here: https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/amd_rx_vega_-_what_is_rapid_packed_math/1

"AMD has also been working with Futuremark to create a benchmark that will showcase the potential of Rapid Packed Math, already showing a 25% gain in operation count in certain tasks. At this time it is unknown if 3DMARK Serra will ever be released to the public. "

Time Spy Extreme is still Time Spy but in 4k and a new CPU Test designed to take advantage of larger core count CPUs

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  3. Deano_20802

Deano_20802 Member

Always nice trying something different :)

Thanks for the updates, it's always nice seeing real world results.

Cheers for the info / link :thumbup:

4. lowdog

lowdog Member

Do you own all those cards....WTF!!!! :wired:

5. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

My guess is they work in a store/supplier and get to play with toys.

6. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

Nope, just personal collection ;)

7. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

Impressive collection, I'm still toying with the idea of adding another Vega 64 to my rig

Here's my Vega 64 in TSE: https://www.3dmark.com/spy/2521320

Graphics Score 3843

I do like the redesigned CPU test though, higher core count chips can really spread their wings in it :)

8. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

Wow thats a huge gain over stock as I havent tried to overclock my Vega yet, the new TSE did pushed my CPU to the point where I have to increase my vcore voltage just to pass it. I expect TSE HOF will soon be filled with 1950X and equivalent CPUs,bad news for 5960X and 6950X owners :(

9. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

Current top spot for overall is owned by a 1950x actually, TaroT is 20th right now for CPU score with his 1950x :)

10. jtam01

jtam01 Member

Yeah ive got this monitor december through ebay. Overall pretty decent monitor, I got lucky and have no bad/dead pixels and the 144hz (overclockable) @1080p has been kind on my gtx 970. However haven't been that impressed with amd gpu solutions given the price and lack of aib cooling solutions. Hopefully supply increases in the next 6 months.

11. terroristone

terroristone Member

How everyone finding the new drivers? (17.10.2)

12. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

To address the usual critiscism
    1. So is Nvidia. So by your logic Nvidia is also a fail. In this review Vega 64 is about as hot as a 1080 ti FE, and vega 56 is cooler than a 1070 FE.
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/11717/the-amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-and-56-review/19
    2. Keep in mind a typical 1080 ti aftermarket draws 300w right around what Vega 64 does, and a 1080 ti FE about 50w less. Vega 64 just doesn't perform in gaming to justify the 300w power use. Vega 56 power use is no big deal even without doing any undervolting.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/msi-gtx-1080-ti-lightning-z,5162-4.html
    3. Agree as far as Vega liquid it's overpriced and a bad buy. Similar deal for 1080 ti liquid cooled cards. As far as air cooling pricing I'm not seeing any major price rise. At launch XFX Vega 64 with games was $829 at PCCG, now it's $749 (no stock anymore of non game bundle however). What happens with custom board prices is anyones guess.
    4. AMD and Nvidia don't set graphics card prices, retailers and distributers do. Hence stupidly high price RX 570/580 prices almost at 1070 prices for a while when there was not stock.
    5. Can't see why they would. The 1070 ti 95% shader count of a 1080 (vs 1070 75%). It's going to take away sales from the more expensive 1080 as most will happily save $100 for 5-10% performance loss. It exists because vega 56 is a better buy for gamers willing to tweak/undervolt/flash to vega 64 bios etc than a 1070.
    6. In the cases of the 1070 and 1080 I'd disagree, These are midrange GPUs in terms of die size (and cost to produce), sold at a high end price. Adoredtv went into great detail in this video.

Edit: didn't take long for the original to disappear!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  13. terroristone

terroristone Member

Thanks for the in-depth reply snoop, I really didn’t think it was needed as we are just feeding a troll and it looks like the mods saw this and removed it and mine. Back on topic.

14. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

I thought that too, but then also thought there were some good myths to bust that are of wider interest eg the hot AMD meme that nvidia are just as guilty of..

terroristone likes this.
  15. terroristone

terroristone Member

like nvidia drivers actually killing cards....lol they made so many more mistakes but nobody remembers it all.

16. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

ill keep this in point form to avoid the "trolling" accusations.

1) the 1080ti is also 30% faster so I would expect it to run at similar temps
    2) and again offers 30+++% performance for the same or similar power envelope
    3)custom boards will be more expensive and $749 is way too much for a card that cant beat the CHEAPER and cooler AIB 1080 cards that have been on the marken for well over a year the liquid cooled 1080ti no more expensive than a FE card + waterblock unlike the vega which is significantly more.
    4)yes they do they set the RRP and sell the major compnet
    5)no it does not it takes much longer than what there has been between vega's launch and now to release a product the 1070ti was on the cards for much longer
    6)the 1070 and 1080 as you say are mid reange gpus but yet are still better than AMD supposdly big dig high-end GPU

I ahve watched that justa after it was released

as I called it over 12 months ago vega is was and will contine to be a DOA product that is overpriced and underperforms, where it cant match in price or performance a card that has been in peoples PC's now for close to 18 months. Even the vega 56 is a terrible buy if you are using it stock ( even overclocked it still strugles agains an overclocked 1070)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  17. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

Interesting results here for Destiny 2. Seems AMD's latest driver update has made a big impact. Yes that is the 1080 just behind the Vega 56

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/destiny-2-pc-graphics-performance-benchmark-review,5.html

Just to take a cherry picked isolated quote

Anyway it would seem that driver optimisations are a thing and there is a lot of room for improvement in the architecture. Given how new it is I gues this is to be expected though.

18. TaroT

TaroT Member

saw that team that with forza and we need one more to make a trend :)

seems like I slipped a bit in the cpu hall o fame to the 30's the 7920's are starting to kick in.
    also use HBCC memory...in things like superposition gives a nice boost (not that I care I hate that thing :))
    it will impact cpu tests a tiny bit though not much but be aware :p

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/2521320/spy/2557630
    that's my best so far graphics wise versus searges one.
    still nowhere near the nvidias but again who really cares bring on the new games :p

19. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

Can someone firm if Vega crossfire provides literally no performance uplift at 1080p compare to 1440p and 4K? Sharing a few more result using my signature 5960X rig with 385.69 and 17.9.3 drivers, both are WHQL. Just want to know if its just me or every one else who has Vega in CF has encountered the same problem and no reviewers doing any Vega CF comparison guide on Youtube.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

20. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

does anyone have a link that will let me download wattman for Vega 64
    Finally got my card installed :)