AMD Vega GPU

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Agg, Jan 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

I'm re-opening this thread earlier than I intended to introduce a couple of new this-thread-only rules:

• From now on, this thread will have an "AMD-only discussion" rule. This means that you will only talk about AMD and AMD's products. This means pointless broad posts like "NVidia is better" or "AMD will never make anything decent" is banned. You are still allowed to make basic comparative reference to other companies and brands, eg: "I think AMD are still giving NVidia a run for their money" would be allowed, but "I think AMD will never beat NVidia" would not. When comparing products, "AMD's xxxxx GPU is similar in performance/features to NVidia's xxxxx GPU" is allowed, but broader "NVidia's Pascal/Volta tops all of Vega" type posts are not allowed. Same goes for pro-AMD posters, as it's a two-way street.
    • The second rule being imposed as a "if you haven't got anything good to say, then say nothing at all" rule. Want to slag off AMD or NVidia? Here's your ban. Want to call people in this thread a die-hard fanboy? Here's your ban. The same goes for pro-AMD posters. People like and align themselves to different brands and products - fact of life. Some will switch camps, most will not. Nothing you say will change that. Deal with it.

TL;DR: The thread is now about constructive discussion about AMD's Vega GPU. We don't care that there might be something with better specs or features out there. We don't care that there might be something with better dollar value out there. Fanboy or not, this thread is about AMD Vega, not NVidia Volta or anything else.

2. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Thank you HyRax

And on another note, we may see a more detailed announcement on the 31st

AMD Holds Press Conference 31st of May – Likely announces Vega and/or HEDT

3. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Thank you.

I, for one, welcome our new overlord Hyrax1 :thumbup:

I saw that leak for the x2 Vega. That's exciting if XFire has it's shit worked out. Thats the kind of card i'd go for if it's 2x top of the line gpu so even if XFire wasn't supported, i wouldn't be gimped because of it since they'd be 2x shittier gpu's.

Time will tell :thumbup:

4. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Member

Thanks HyRax :thumbup:

Some concrete info on Vega can't come fast enough. I really do hope they have a reveal at the end of the month. The silence is deafening. :thumbup:

5. Loadingdread

Loadingdread Member

I really hope something substantial comes out of this conference. 1440p on my 290x is getting pretty subpar now.

6. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I would definitely stick with only 1x Vega if I were you.

At present AMD crossfire doesn't have working profiles for a long list of games and I even used their form to ask for crossfire profiles and never got a response.

Whats strange is that AMD have a profile for Hitman for example, but if you have a 295x2 for example you just miss out on the crossfire compatibility because the card isn't one of AMD's recent cards. Its a shame because the 295x2 is still an amazing card.

7. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

yeah I don't know what AMD are thinking about if the details in the drivers are true with releasing a multi-GPU Vega considering the very poor support of new games and crossfire or lack of I should say.

8. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

9. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

Multi GPU boards are most like the future of GPU's to be honest, DX12 and Vulkan both remove the issues with Crossfire/SLI as neither technologies are required.

The games themselves will either use multiple GPU's or not.

10. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

we need multi gpu cards taht does not reply on any programmer or sli/crossfire profiles.

the card needs to split the workload between the GPU "cores" itself independent of the API

even with DX12 multi GPU support needs to be programmed into the game, and more and more AAA titles come with very poor or non-existant sli/crossfire support.

we cant rely on the devs to add support to the games as this is not happening as can clearly be seen over the progressively fewer new games that support SLI/ crossifire.

11. bart5986

bart5986 Member

We don't have any non driver specific DX12/Vulkan games yet do we?

Doom, Hitman, tomb raider and battlefield all required specific driver support for it, most likely because its not a full DX12/Vulkan implementation or they just haven't coded the dual GPU part yet.

I guess if we did have the technology we should be seeing Nvidia/AMD dual GPU hybrid benchmarks for Hitman etc.

We are probably looking at at least 5 years in the future until:

1. All the latest games are DX12/Vulkan dual GPU compatible. We appear to have 0 right now.
    2. All the games that are not dual GPU in the year 2022 can still be run at max with only one GPU.

DX12/Vulkan is technically capable of this. Why this is not implemented I don't know.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  12. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

13. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

well its the Fury X release all over again isnt it,

The Fury X was only marginally behind the 780ti at launch and was priced lower and still was a complete failure

as Vega most likely wont outright beat the 1080ti and the slightly cheaper card wont be enough to entice buyers to buy the Vega over the 1080ti at that price point just like FuryX/780ti when they were released.

14. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

I am all for crossfire / sli I have ran such setups for many years now, but the sad reality for PC gaming is most games are written for console and then have a very cheap port to the PC which does not usually include enabling multi GPU support.

and whilst DX12 titles can be made Dual GPU compatible there are few developers who are doing so. Even Doom running Vulkan does not support crosssfire/ SL.

I feel in 5 years time it will be the opposite of what you are saying and SLI / crossfire will be all but a memory, rather than universally supported, as that even in DX12 games that is the current trend

15. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

If this was legitimate, it would be really good.

I think you mean 980ti btw, and fury was not cheaper - That plus it's very small OC headroom, and 4GB being a bit on the "is this enough?" side in consumers minds was it's problem with enthusiasts.

16. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

There are indeed games that support Explicit MultiGPU right now, RottR is one in fact, I'm not going to Google all the others for you though, although a quick look also indicated BF1 uses it as well.

EDIT, this part was directed at the wrong person, thought you said both bart:

What you are talking about above with none "driver"? specific SLI or what ever doesn't make sense. The new low level API's don't need to use AMD or Nvidia's specific technologies for Multi GPU work loads, they can use any bunch GPU's you have and split the work loads over them and even use the combined memory. But, you will always need to program for it.

Do some research on Explicit MultiGPU, it's really cool and will start to be very useful going forward.

17. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

He's talking about explicit multi-adapter - A universal DX12 Multi-GPU scheme that that completely replaces Xfire and Sli.

Incidently there are a couple of games that support it now .. but there's a risk it won't see widespread support still - Multi-gpu is just to niche, and no one wants to spend the time on it. I for one hope both AMD and Nvidia never down this path., unless it becomes a 'thing' for consoles and therefore worth developers time.

18. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I seem to remember the Fury being a little cheaper, especially once the "new release overpricing" went away.

I think you are right, a lot of people thought 4GB wasn't enough but this turned out to be untrue in most circumstances.

The other important factor is that AMD still has poor driver performance for OpenGL as well as quite a few games.

These show up in benchmarks and make the card look very unattractive.

Benchmarks overall are a pretty confusing way to check card performance with AMD because performance relative to card performance ranges from poor to great with DX12/Vulkan being the only time it seems to be consistent.

You are right it does, but I also seem to remember 1-2 driver updates for it to work but it was great on the 295x2.

So either the driver update was for multiGPU on all games in the future or it still needs specific driver support.

I've tried searching for the terms in google for Battlefield etc and found no evidence. Tomb raider might be the only one, and it was added in a patch so everyone else should do the same.

Also I can't seem to find tomb raider benchmarks using an AMD and Nvidia GPU which was a big feature of DX12 Multi GPU, Maybe its been blocked at driver level by the green team.

19. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

IMO it's inevitable once they can't keep riding the nm train to it's coming limits and the every increasing cost of that (now $16b to develop 5nm fab) and how yields punish big dies much more. Once AMD can supply an APU with say 4 little GPU dies in it for say 2/3 the cost of a big GPU with same overall performance consoles will do that.

20. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

Nvidia are pretty big on their SLI function and I think they have implemented a version of SLI for DX12 that makes use of the Explicit MultiGPU functions, but that's just Nvidia being Nvidia, the specific tech it self is vendor neutral but does indeed need to be programmed for and just like anything with DX12/Vulkan, it's not a trivial task.

More people would need to start having multiple GPU's or more MultiGPU parts need to be made and sold to make it worth while, there is talk that the next round of consoles will use MultiGPU setups which would be very interesting, anyway, that's just speculation.

I found Deus Ex with it enabled, Nvidia not supported for some reason....