AMD Vega GPU

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Agg, Jan 6, 2017.

1. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

I agree , but Raja's vision is more along the lines of multiple GPU on interposer route, this allows high bandwidth interconnect (IF), and the use of HBM as a 'high bandwidth cache' (which it's already being termed in Vega)

This is the only worthy solution, since it would present as a single GPU to

2. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Most PC gamers could have multi GPU if you take DX12 dual GPU into account.

If I upgrade my GPU, I just keep the old one and make it dual GPU.

People don't do that because its either not compatible or in the few circumstances you could the frame pacing and dual GPU issues made it not worth it.

3. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

That's how Explicit MultiGPU works from what I understand, the game is presented with a single GPU.

No one does it because DX12 only recently came out and not many games support Explicit MultiGPU, but if more games start to support it then it would be a viable option for those upgrading. Hell, anyone with an Intel IGPU can combine it with their main card and get a small bump in performance.

I don't think you can get pacing issues with Explicit MultiGPU due to the way it works, it's nothing like Crossfire/SLI.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  4. bart5986

bart5986 Member

You are right there won't be frame pacing issues etc that you would normally see with driver implemented dual gpu.

The thing is where are the benchmarks from tomb raider with different types of cards? I can't find them, I think tomb raider is one of the only games right now.

5. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

I just posted a really good video on how it works above, a bit further back I found a video for Deus Ex showing it working. I am sure there are more out there.

Cards from different vendors together.

6. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

I can't remember how far past launch it was but Fury X was mot definitely cheaper than it as I was considering purchasing one.

also those comparisons will still continue as vega is a 8gb card vs 11gb for the 1080ti

7. bart5986

bart5986 Member

They shouldn't.

8GB with HBM2 and AMD's memory management should have it perform the same as an 11GB card, must like we saw 4GB keeping up to a 6GB card even though 4GB was way too little.

8. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

I am not saying the 11gb card IS better techinally

but it is better from a marketing point of view

noon tech heads will look at 8gb or 11gb card and automatically think 11 is better as its a bigger number when I worked at GameDude many moons ago, I sold many inferior cards to many people because that is what they wanted because it had slightly more ram.

9. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Launch price (even offcial, i.e not early adopters tax) was identical to ti, which was basically an instant bullet in the foot, and that sticks in peoples mind. Even if prices are reduced progressivly.

Look at the RX480 as an example. prior to 580 refresh and even now, there's bargain 480's to be had, but people don't even look them up because for quite some time post launch, pricing was quite sour IMO especially on 8GB models.

10. hosh0

hosh0 Member

Are non tech types really spending nearly $1000 on a GPU though?

11. bart5986

bart5986 Member

From all the non tech gamers I know it goes like this

New GPU gets released, its way faster then the competition everyone gets excited, news reports it everywhere.

All the enthusiasts buy the best GPU

All the non tech types buy the budget version of that GPU.

Thats why if you release a new GPU and it doesn't beat the competition people will barely even hear about it and even if they do, non tech types won't want to buy it because its not the best card or not the budget version of the best card.

From the 290x and earlier AMD released cards at a budget price point no matter what, so it didn't matter how the card performed it was just cheaper and that is what everyone knew so it gave everyone confidence to buy their cards.

Problem is that isn't the case anymore, AMD need to price their cards based on DX9/DX11/DX12/Vulkan and openGL performance, not just hand picked Vulkan/DX12/AMD games.

12. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

you would be surprised

13. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

I feel like the info in that link was stolen from here
    http://www.hltv.org/blog/13996-rx-vega-launch-info-leaked

I'm also concerned about this part from the article
    Guess we will all find out June 3rd, wait is nearly over, finally....

14. Phat Devil

Phat Devil Member

Damn I was hoping the rumour that it was going to be released next week was going to be true :( . My 6950 is getting super ancient now lol. Bought player unknown and it won't run it at an acceptable framerate. So tempted to get a 580 now and sell it for Vega or if it pushes $ of the green teams stuff down enough to tempt me over.

15. PRiME2007

PRiME2007 Member

If bought from newegg or another source then the Nova isn't too bad perhaps?

But whats making the Nova a faster card? a slight overclock? are we paying for 16GB vs 8GB on the Eclipse?

Would love to know, either way Australia retail prices are going to be triple due to middle man greed and import tax etc etc.. its almost as if retailers here buy these cards from a RETAIL store overseas and resell them (at times).

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  16. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

we can hope its just a higher clocked version and the cores are the same that would make the mid card very attractive especially if they overclock almost as high (like Ryzen) as the top end part, I might be a Vega buyer after all.

17. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

What is on 3rd June? Nda, release or more promises?

:thumbup:

18. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

19. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

I think I read NOVA will be 2x GPUs on the single board, wouldn't surprise me?

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  20. bennyg

bennyg Member

If it is surely must be two small vegas since I cant believe two "@/>1080" class gpus are either downclocked or scaled so badly they end up only "@/>1080ti"