AMD Vega GPU

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Agg, Jan 6, 2017.

1. terroristone

terroristone Member

Given the shortage of HBM2 and we'll only get 16000 cards I think that they will push to sell the top end cards and the other models will be priced on par or above the competitions equivalent to entice the sale of the top end vega.

T1

2. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

if they price the cards above nvidia and they do not have the outright performance lead (which is unlikely)these cards will certainly be a commercial failure just like fury which I dont think AMD want.

the leaked pricing makes sense @ $599USD for the top end part, marginally cheaper than nvidia and as long as its within 5-10% of the performance of the of the 1080ti it will sell.

3. terroristone

terroristone Member

what I was trying to say is the models that will compete with the 1070 & 1080 will be priced the same or above to entice people to buy the top end vega that competes with the 1080ti as units wont be large.....just my theory...I hope I'm wrong though and all the models are plentiful and priced under their competition to bring the prices down

4. Stevros

Stevros Member

I doubt it. I reckon we are going to see very similar to slightly better performance across the range with better prices.

At the end of the day its pretty much the least amount of information weve ever had leading up to a GPU launch. Its been annoying as hell because its turned this thread into a complete bullshitfest.

5. terroristone

terroristone Member

So i noticed, i was close to unsubbing. My plan is wait a few weeks until we see the AIB cards and make my decision from there. I'm ready to drop 1k on a single card this time around.

T1

6. cyborg

cyborg Member

hopefully when vega comes out the gtx 1070 drops in price need a new card my 560ti is getting to old

7. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Boys...

AMD announces Radeon Vega Frontier Edition

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. TaroT

TaroT Member

my prediction is the leak timespy 5950 was the 1070 equivalent. To me that makes more sense but then i might as well go to a chinese restaurant and get some fortune cookies...probably have more info than what is floating around :)

computex is the 31st and apparently info is given then and more on the EYPC and threadripper chips can.t wait for tax time :)

http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-rad...deon-vega-frontier-edition-coming-june_194653

little more info in this one, look at the bottom they say 8 and 6 pin but the photo a little further up shows 2 8 pins...interesting

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  9. Jamin

Jamin Member

Watching the the 2017 AMD Financial Analyst Day webcast.

[​IMG]

Seems like the chart targets around the midrage of the Premium and professional market. So could this mean possibly between 1070 and TitanXp?

They also announced Radeon VEGA Frontier Edition

[​IMG]
    16gb HBM2 And their fastest card.

10. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Looks like a solid product for pro market, but not looking good for a consumer release this quarter.

11. _slacker_

_slacker_ Member

12. Snoops

Snoops Member

13. Loadingdread

Loadingdread Member

At this point I really don't care about if Vega beats the 1080Ti. All I want is a card that does the following:
    1. Supports my freesync monitor
    2. 1440p gaming at 120hz for less demanding games (cs go, dota, rainbow 6 seige) and a solid 60hz for AAA titles.
    3. Doesn't sound like a jet engine taking off.
    4. Under $1k

As long as Vega can deliver on all of that I am happy.

14. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Waiting on Computex at the end of the month for the RX Vega lineup, not the Radeon Pro Vega information. I'm not after an enterprise card, so todays news wasn't that amazing.

If they get to Computex and the release date ends up being more months away, I'll be getting an RX580 and moving on with my life :p

15. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Its all to do with what you play.

My 1080 struggles to maintain 60fps in many games and needs a lot more power in VR. A 1080ti barely cuts it.

So for a new release card I think Vega needs to be more then that.

The last thing we need is another budget "RX 480" situation.

My 1080 was $860 on 10.5 months ago so I'm hoping AMD have something good prepared considering its 12 months later.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  16. ekeane

ekeane Member

Hopefully

Hopefully AMD have another 48xx and 59xx series on their hands.

Those cards were beasts and came out of nowhere - from what I can remember anyway.

17. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

AMD may as well not even wait for Computex to "release" Vega (even if they just do a paper launch now), we know heaps about Volta, the 1080 is a year old next Friday so AMD need to stop fucking around and release the thing already.

Probably only 3 reasons why they haven't released yet,

1. It's no where near as good as they hoped, top end matches the 1080 or between the 1080 and the 1080Ti.

2. It's an utter monster and destroys the Titan XP.

3. The rumours about stock levels are true and they have fuck all.

18. terroristone

terroristone Member

I'm with you on this! except i'll be water cooling it.

Given its been awhile and this is something new for AMD (like the ryzen) I see it as a stepping stone to new things, something to build on and learn from. Like all manufactures they only go forward, they all have had times where their steps were small and times where they were large. As above I don't care if it beats the ti, as long as its around the 1080-Ti range I'm happy as it will be a large step over what AMD currently has.

19. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Was Ryzen a close to the chest kind of launch also?

20. spank36

spank36 Member

What doesn't your 1080 get 60fps in? Sounds like madness