AMD Vega GPU

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Agg, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

My FuryX under custom water does all that. Cheapest Vega with custom cooler is likely all you will need.

2. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I'm not at home and it would take a while to get a list but right now its player unknown battlegrounds, I have to turn shadows down.

But for many other games it often involves anti aliasing or upping the rendering resolution past 100%, but not always.

This is all at 1080p by the way, 1440p and 4k would be a nightmare considering I like high FPS.

3. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Yeah I actually want the same card and if Fury had the 8GB of memory, I would have jumped but it didnt and I think that was the biggest killer of Fury.

Vega will and I look forward to finally utilising Freesync. Though I dont know why anymore. All I play is Factorio, Dota, and old school 2D games. The odd match of Battlefield is all that really stresses my GPU haha.

4. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

And herein lies the problem with people posting about "performance" of a product in internet forums. Congratulations you have made a 1080 perform "unsatisfactorily" at 1080p by applying tard settings........ if you cannot use the multitude of settings to achieve a good outcome maybe you should consider gaming on an ipad.

5. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

So, looking at this Frontier card we can make some very basic predictions...

If this is an indication of performance, AMD are saying we are getting ~13TFLOPS of FP32 (I calculated 12TFLOPS @ 1500 previously, so it's running at 1600 which equals the 13TFLOPS) which is 1.5x more than the Fury X @ 8.6TFLOPS.

So we will be looking at ~50% performance increase over the Fury X (not accounting for Arch changes that could improve 3D performance) which should place the card just above the GTX 1080.

I wonder if this is the top of the tree and the dual card will be the one to give Ti levels or if there is a higher clocked version waiting to be shown...

Interesting times :)

6. Bertross

Bertross Member

Hopefully given the new architecture we see a larger leap in performance too. Cant wait!!!

7. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Double the memory at double the data rate should significantly help those games that needed it. 4GB was barely enough and may have constrained more than a few situations.

We can also hope that its not just a pure clock for clock increase but hopefully they redesigned any other significant capability hold backs that were in Polaris.

8. Darko

Darko Member

They obviously don't have a design department, looks they just got a brick and painted it.

9. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

I don't think gpu farm operators will give a a rats.

10. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

I really don't understand why most of you care about the looks of your GPU's / waterblocks, there face down in pretty much all PC's...

Also the Pro Vega looks better then the stock R9 coolers, those things were ugly.

11. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

I guess because we build systems to be looked at (glass, etc).

This is all subjective though, I really like the simple design AMD have been going with for the Fury X, RX480, etc.

Can't stand the rubbish Nvidia and board partners come up with.

12. Darko

Darko Member

I have an open air case with the card sitting on it's side facing me in all it's glory, so it needs to look like a work of art.

13. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

Wow is all I can say.

1. "This is Radeon PRO product, not Radeon RX for gaming" - So in other words, not suitable for the majority of us here nor affordable (16GB HBM2 going to cost a fair bit).
    2. Really, a blue cover? Looks poor and unfinished. Would of thought it would of been at least "red", coming from the "red team", not a biggie but I seriously don't understand their thinking. Everyone knows the Ford logo is blue, Honda is red etc, why would you even bother with Blue if its not even your brand colours...

#neverendingwait

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  14. WJR

WJR (Banned or Deleted)

So the wait continues for Vapor...I mean Vega.. :o

15. Ck21

Ck21 Member

The designers probably wanted it to fit in with their fallout4 modded case paint scheme without having to repaint and customize another video card :thumbup::D

16. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

I run a reverse ATX case specifically because my study layout requires my pc on my left. But yeah couldn't give a rats about stock cooler due to running custom water.

17. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Yarp I run a reverse set up as well so looks matter :D.

So... for the "consumer" Vega, do we think Computex for release or... Christmas?

Really getting tired of waiting at this point, been waiting the better part of a year for Vega and kinda over it now :mad: :rolleyes:.

18. spank36

spank36 Member

I think computex. They drummed up a bit of noise here and they'll go bang at computex

19. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

grab a used GTX 1080 until Vega comes, be a nice step up over the aging 290 :thumbup:

20. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Highlights of the Reddit AMA with Raj:

[​IMG]

Highlighted for emphasis.