AMD Vega GPU

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Agg, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

[​IMG]

The reason I haven't gone a 1080Ti or Titan XP is Nvidia's shitty drivers, in the past I had constant problems running triple screens on an Nvidia card like driver crashes, black screens, 1 or more screens not registering etc. I'll wait for Vega thanks :p.

2. taldoren

taldoren Member

Interesting, I ran triple screens for a long time with both Nvidia and AMD, and I had way more problems with the AMD (single and x-fire 280's drivers than Nvidia.

The tipping point for me was also the delays in AMD getting decent drivers out for new titles, they always were so slow. Mantle was suppose to be the big new thing that would change the landscape..

Miss 3 screens a bit still, 40"+ 4k is awesome for gaming, but nothing like 3 screens for productivity, really do need to sort out the desk to try and fit 2 other screens on it @ same time.

3. hotpants86

hotpants86 Member

So if it is 5-10% below 1080Ti performance and priced at $599USD is that a flop?

4. master phi

master phi Member

I also second Nvidia shit drivers for my triple screen. It didn't even work because I discovered your screens had to all be the same polarity. Something that wasn't f*** mentioned anywhere on Nvidia's pages until I saw a technical post about it. AMD drivers since 200 series were pretty solid since half of it was the same cards since 7000 series. But I admit that I don't play the latest games as I'm not a beta tester. I wait for steam sales and GOTY editions unless it is Blizzard.

Not to mention it was a bitch to get three screens working in the first place with a single Nvidia card due to the ports vs the AMD cards at that time.

Btw Mantle did change the landscape look at what happened with DX12 and Vulkan. Only thing I am disappointed in is that initially we had AMD and Nvidia cards working together, but now there is no more news or Nvidia disabled it in their drivers or something?

I'm hoping Vega will support good VR as that is what I am aiming for next. I almost don't care about anything else only because that is what I am currently interested in.

5. Pemalite

Pemalite Member

I ran triple screens for years. Always found AMD's eyefinity to be superior to nVidia's surround vision... Not just in terms of reliability but features as well.

Updates for games, crossfire etc' is another kettle of fish though.

6. taldoren

taldoren Member

Agree that Eyefinity was easier to connect to with AMD cards vs Nvidia when limited to monitor inputs.

Nowdays thou, I just went for a big ass screen vs games over 3 screens :D

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  7. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

I wasn't even talking about Eyefinity or Nvidia surround, just 3 separate screens, Nvidia drivers gave me heaps of problems while AMD has been pretty good, I have had some driver crashes on AMD but that's maybe once every few months.

I would change to a single screen but seeing I only game on my middle one having 3 screens makes multitasking easy :D.

Now if only Vega would drop already...

8. chook

chook Member

May I ask which big arse screen you went for? I am in the same position with monitors and looking to do the same thing. Also have two 7970's in crossfire and looking at a single GPU upgrade to go with my big arse screen.

I think that big arse is now an official size.

9. master phi

master phi Member

I don't know what taldoren got but I used a 55" Sony 1080p screen 4 years ago and it was okay for movies. For me it wasn't smooth enough vs a 120hz screen for example. I had 3x Cateleap 1440p 120hz OC screens in portrait mode. That was awesome for RPG games like skyrim. Makes report writing and such a lot easier too or multitasking in general although watching movies sucked.

But my next thing now is VR. So if Vega does eyefinity meh old cards did that, I want AMD to step up their home VR experience. Then maybe more people can get onto VR and the tech gets cheaper and doesn't die from the "3D on tv screens" fad.

10. chook

chook Member

I am looking for a 40" - 43" 4K panel. Currently I have triple 24" 1920 x 1200 screens; the single 4K panel gives me 1.3 times the pixels. Having tried Eyefinity with the 7970's in crossfire the performance just seemed to take it in the arse. Possibly I would have been better putting the panels in portrait. The bezels are the other thing that seems to be a little bit off putting. I don't watch any movies on my computer and only want it for work and gaming so possibly keeping one or two of the secondary monitors to the side will be a benefit for work as I am often connected remotely to other sites. Additionally, I don't upgrade my monitor very often thus am willing to make an investment; my current setup has lasted me seven years.

This is an area I am looking at too. While 3D is meh to me the idea of being able to play games with a "full immersion" experience isn't. My hope is that with Vega I will be able to go down the VR route if I want but also get true 10-bit output which at present is only available from AMD on their workstation style cards and not their desktop cards. Hopefully this will change with Vega. I am not wed to either brand and have used both based on the current market offerings vs my desires so if Vega can do this that can only be good for everybody.

11. Unframed

Unframed Member

Kinda have to echo the comments here. I've run all sorts of 3 screen arrays with AMD, predominantly 2x 23.5" 16:9 and 1x 29" 21:9. Now I'm running 1x 22" 16:9, 1x 24" 16:9 and 1x 34" 21:9. All of these have been happy as a pig in mud (the last one I haven't used with eyefinity).

Nvidia though, I used them for when I ran 2 matching 24" panels. Every single driver update disconnected one of my monitors.

More on topic though, how far is computex?

12. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Next week, 30th till the 3rd :thumbup:.

13. master phi

master phi Member

Look you will have to judge for yourself what you want mate. Big screen size != productivity. Especially because you will start seeing the limitations of the TV. If you like 60hz 4K then by all means. Just you might notice your tv might process something to the feed before displaying it (depends on tv but most do).

10-bit output = you need a monitor that can output it (like my dell 2711). (btw your 7xxx series outputs 10 bit I'm pretty sure.

There are also new tech like gsync and freesync now. Who knows maybe AMD will pull another surprise like they did with eyefinity. But I really hope it is better VR support.

14. Loadingdread

Loadingdread Member

More specifically the AMD stuff is booked for the 31st.

15. PRiME2007

PRiME2007 Member

I hope AMD has their drivers in a decent release state by then. I mean they have been releasing driver code under Linux lately so maybe Vega will work there first? if they release the displaymanager component.

16. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

I was thinking about something earlier, if Vega is coming at Computex, shouldn't we start to see leaks in the next few days?

Also shouldn't sources start to get review samples this week to?

17. rickoles

rickoles Member

The paper launch is at CX - the card won't be released until sometime after. I don't see AMD leaking anything ahead of their launch event.

There's also only something like ~16k units for sale initially and these are probably all FE cards. I wouldn't be surprised if consumer VEGA is the second round sometime in Q3/4.

18. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Nothing is launching at computex, not even FE. It clearly said late June, with RX to follow

19. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Unsubstantiated rumor... why post it like it's a fact? :rolleyes:

20. rickoles

rickoles Member

I can't remember where I read it but thought it was fact - my bad.