AMD Vega GPU

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Agg, Jan 6, 2017.

1. SiriusDragon

SiriusDragon Member

nvidia still can't do mixed resolution surround, this is a deal breaker to some people - for example portrait - landscape - portrait type setups.

2. rickoles

rickoles Member

PhysX shouldn't be touted as an advantage and neither should any other of their proprietary BS. They're all resource hogs - more damaging on AMD cards but even NV cards take a hit running them.

3. Unframed

Unframed Member

Killer for me.

My setup for streaming is
    1920x1080 - 3440x1440 - 1080x1920

4. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I have been purchasing AMD cards since 2004 and they have always been the better value solution.

Why they all of a sudden have decided that without having the product, technology or support that they are just as good as Nvidia I have no idea.

Honestly if Vega is released for the same price and performance as the 1080 then I hope nobody buys it and they learn a hard lesson on making a competitive product.

Every single technology excluding Physx I listed is hugely beneficial and there is nothing stopping from AMD doing the same tech. Physx is the only one that is locked to nvidia cards/game code.

AMD are actually developing their own versions of 1-2 of those technologies, problem is they are very slow, its only 1-2 and they need to come up with their own ideas as well.

Physx is the developers choice and the fact is its a very cool technology, even if its a resource hog.

My point is that Nvidia is where all the tech, optimisations, game compatibility and support is and has been for a long time.

AMD's last amazing card was the 290x.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  5. rickoles

rickoles Member

AMD deserves credit for doing a lot with nothing for a long time.

NV with all their market share and profit use it to create Gameworks and Gsync which are as anti-competitive / anti-consumer as they come.

Also it's unlikely that any game dev will chose to use Gameworks or PhysX - it's NV that sponsors them to do so in order for the game to run poorly on AMD cards.

6. bart5986

bart5986 Member

The 290x came out in 2013.

How much longer do we need to financially support AMD before we can make a video card decision based on what is the best?

At some point you just have to buy the better card.

Also Gameworks is very popular and has nothing to do with nvidia sponsoring.

Just look at Virtual Reality, all the devs have gone crazy over the tech because they need the performance boost so badly. They didn't get any money from Nvidia.

Gameworks is also already implemented as standard in engines like Unity and Unreal.

7. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Plus with the difficulty going up more and more with Ethereum it's getting to the point now that if you don't have solar panels it's not worth it. Not to mention were almost at $1000 for a basic GPU :rolleyes:.

Yeah they could move onto other currencies but a lot of them (Dash for example) need specific mining hardware so mining with GPU's just isn't worth the power and hardware cost.

I just make it easy on myself and get Genesis Mining to do it for me :lol: pretty expensive to start once you factor in our shitty currency though.

8. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

Everytime there is a "the way it meant to be played" you bet that nvidia paid top coin to the devs. to have it there in the first place.

nvidia can afford it, with the market share, AMD not so much.

On the other hand, these days everyone is patenting everything, so no wonder that nvidia is making all their tech proprietary.

Imagine if light bulb, zippers, toilet paper, etc etc ..... were all patented and everyone would have to pay royalties for the use :lol::lol::lol::lol:

9. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

So Gameworks was never intended to make games run better on Nvidia cards than AMD? Sure sure...

I always keep coming back to this video when I think about Nvidia.

10. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

Love the monitor you're using, I'm on a 34UM95 atm, planning to grab a 100hz Ultrawide pretty soon though :D

11. hosh0

hosh0 Member

You do realise for VR by far and away (several times over I'd say) AMD cards are the market leader right?

12. power

power Member

AMD sure do cry a lot.

They need to sort out a cross licensing deal the same way they did with Intel.

13. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Gameworks (excluding Physx) has no effect on AMD cards.

Its like saying that Nvidia's latest driver update which increases performance "was never intended to make games run better on Nvidia cards than AMD?"

What are you talking about?

Nvidia is miles ahead of AMD right now in performance in games and VR.

Add Gameworks and its even better.

The performance difference I get enabling the technology is so big I can't go without it.

14. hosh0

hosh0 Member

I didn't say performance, maybe stop and actually read what people write for a second :). AMD is by far the market leader in VR right now. The vast majority of VR games are played on AMD hardware not NVIDIA hardware.

15. Unframed

Unframed Member

Multi-res shading, Single pass stereo and Lens Matched Shading are Nvidia proprietary, this means it's not just implementation. It's AMD creating the same tech from the ground up. You're making it sound like AMD can just implement these technologies when in reality they would need to develop them from the ground up. Granted that's what Nvidia did but playing catchup on proprietary software isn't an overnight process.

Also that stuff is all for VR. How many people actually have or give a shit about VR? I might when there's more than a handful of titles to care about but I feel like that's a long way off.

Shadowplay is a mixed bag, it was OK on my old 965m based Laptop but I can't even get the piece of crap to work on my notebook. Plays.tv on the otherhand is close to perfect, aside from the lost OW integration I can't fault it and I see no performance impact in any game I play. Even though I tend to have a negative portrayl of Shadowplay I know plenty of people who have success with both but it's only people super enamored with Nvidia that talk about how Shadowplay is the best solution.

As for game compatibility I have been using AMD on and off for years (I go with what appeals to me) and I've never had an issue where a game crapped itself for being with either team except for the KOTOR bugs with Nvidia 8xxx GPUs which was easy enough to fix.

The 290X was launched less than 4 years ago, while that's a while it's only really 2 gens ago.

Sorry if any of this doesn't make sense, still half asleep.

16. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

Speaking of ShadowPlay, why is it you need to be logged into GeForce Experience just to use it?

17. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Wait, so you are just saying that out of everyone who has VR, more people have AMD products?

I imagine you could be right based on the RX480 but still.. source?

I'm also not sure how thats relevent, VR badly needs the extra performance right now, thats the point.

I'm aware of that and this is exactly how it should be.

Why would Nvidia donate all their code to AMD? Should Apple donate their iOS code to Google so help make Android? :confused:

But still vastly superior in terms of tech. AMD is resource intensive in comparison.

Plenty of people only play the latest AAA games, and don't play on day 1, or betas etc and don't encounter issues.

That doesn't change the fact that Nvidia have far better game compatibility, especially for older games.

And I forgot to mention Crossfire support.. something AMD have basically dumped.

I'm not sure why you are trying to defend AMD. They have always been the great value option but that ended with the 290x.

What happened after the 290x that you feel makes AMD cards suddenly worth as much as Nvidia?

18. hosh0

hosh0 Member

Even if for one second you imagine every single PC gamer who plays VR games has an Nvidia card (they don't but even if they did).

AMD still has a larger market share

19. ADV

ADV Member

I've stuck with AMD all this time, because NVIDIA cards had terrible colour reproduction. Now that was 10+ years ago, when the quality of their RAMDAC's meant a better picture, now its something called TRUE COLOUR mode, which is a direct digital signal to the monitor.

Has anyone switched between nvidia and AMD for the past 5-6 years and noticed washed out colours on either?

20. bart5986

bart5986 Member

How does that have anything to do with it?

Consoles have nothing to do with it.

And I would guess most people with PC VR do have Nvidia because of the performance requirements and the fact that they just spend $1400 on a headset...

But without stats we'll never know.