AMD Vega GPU

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Agg, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Unframed

Unframed Member

I believe this is it:

2. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

From my own personal results, this puts it exactly inline (almost bang on) with my GTX 1080 FE overclocked (on water) based off Firestrike/Ultra/TimeSpy results.

I don't think the Vega silicon will be much different but it looks like it might have a bit more power capacity... Still not much to gain.

3. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

notice how it's the same people that are involved at the threat of getting the channel locked? ;)

4. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

So seems Vega is back to AMD how it used to be.. competitive speed to Nvidia but hotter/noisier/hungrier? Keen to see pricing though, if its quite a bit better, it might be worth it (Especially under water)

But it might still be better to pay the premium and get more efficient card.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  5. DarkStyle

DarkStyle Member

Most of what you'd see of their architecture, is lost on gamers when compared against Nvidia ;)

6. power

power Member

been watching all the GN clips with interest and with that card it just feels like something is bottle necking it like the RX series.

7. PRiME2007

PRiME2007 Member

Concerned about these power levels, maybe I will need to wait for a price drop and get a 1080Ti mini card instead.

I like AMD and have freesync but 375-400W power draw is stupid... These cards are going to need to be super cheaper.

FYI a overclocked 1080ti will hit 250W draw, and its looking like that will be significantly faster then Vega, I dunno what AMD is doing with these HUGE power draws....
    If it was double the performance of NVIDIA cards I would be ok with it, but its looking very much NOT the case...

Also after seeing the ULTRA SIZED water cooling system for the Vega FE card, I have serious doubts that they will have a more compact design for the gaming card. I was hoping the RX Vega water cooling card would be like FuryX, nice an compact card to fit ITX cases but that dream looks to be snuffed out. The fan cooled card will be large, and the light card will probably perform under the 1070... lol.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  8. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

Not entirely true, a stock 1080 Ti net's around 250W, stock OC AiB's ~ 280W and custom overclocks >300W. Still though, this power draw from for a GTX 1070 / GTX 1080 (~200W) level of performance is far from ideal, but it really depends on your usage. If the card was competitive in price and you were only an intermittent part time gamer (a few hours a week) it's probably less of a concern, compared with if you spend every waking non working hour in game.

While it is a thirsty card, it doesn't seem to be having major issues with temperature, I don't think it would be unrealistic to expect that the card could be made smaller and still kept cool.

I'm not sure why the PCB is so large considering there is a lot of empty space, this could just be so they can use the same PCB design with room for their reservoir/overflow or whatever it is as Gamers Nexus pointed out, or it could have been due to the nvme add-in that was rumoured.

Either way I see no reason why an AiB card manufacturer couldn't reduce its size to fit that market if they think it's worthwhile.

9. Unframed

Unframed Member

That's the 16GB FE that's 375W, I imagine the RX will be less thirsty

10. power

power Member

I'm not sure why you think the Vega will consume less juice?

11. Unframed

Unframed Member

I'm not sure why you're still in this thread.

The FE has more VRAM than the normal RX is rumoured to and may be higher spec'd as well. This is why I assume that the RX Vega will use less juice.

12. power

power Member

Because GPU HW interests me, duh?

AMD have been having power consumption issues for some time now - you make a good point (IF Vega only ships with 8GB), if Vega will have less RAM so it kind of is a given - are we really only going to see 8GB high end Vega though I wonder. That seems like a low frame buffer for very high end.

13. Bertross

Bertross Member

14. power

power Member

if wikipedia is to be believed they use less than GDDR of any kind and were created to combat high draw.

So it must be the rest of the card that's doing the damage.

15. Bertross

Bertross Member

Ah right cool. (well not cool :p )

16. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

Nah not really. HBCC tech reduces vram requirements by half or so, in part because HBM2 has lower latency than gddr5 etc. Recal Fury x punches well above it's weight with 4gb hbm and doesn't have HBCC.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3197...or-you-and-gamers-may-be-waiting-a-while.html
    http://wccftech.com/amds-vega-doubles-usable-graphics-memory/

I don't see halving the ram making more than 10w of difference. Having tile based rendering working in the driver might make a small dent as well (or more likely may just help keep clocks closer to boost). That was a feature nvidia went to great lengths to conceal that was part of what made maxwell more power effecient than Keplar despite being on the same nm process.

17. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Didn't the Fury cards have this same problem? heaps of power needed for very little performance at the time.

18. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

19. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

For those interested in what actual pro cards are like, Wendell has a cool video up looking at the WX7100 (RX480).

20. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Dunno if it's been posted already but PCPerspective have a review of the watercooled FE card.

Has a weird cooler design to.