AMD Vega GPU

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Agg, Jan 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

To me that looks beautiful, just like this did:

[​IMG]

2. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Looks like it's pretty much the same kinda design really :lol:.

In there testing the watercooled version was basically on par with the 1080 for games aside from GTA V which it fell 30% behind in and over all it was 30 - 40% behind the 1080Ti but that's not big surprise.

Now I wonder if the RX version will be the same or if it'll be a little faster. The power draw is a bit scary though.

3. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Reminds me of the earlier days when AMD and Nvidia were actually even competition and AMD cards always seemed priced bit better but hotter/hungrier/noiser and I always referred to it as something along lines of:

Nvidia = v8 naturally aspirated with 300kw
    AMD = inline 4 turbocharged with 300kw but running 20psi through the turbo to get it..

or the TLDR version: AMD has its hardware at the limits to keep up with Nvidia.

Not sure if this is case with Vega but is seeming so.

4. Unframed

Unframed Member

Just here to say 20psi isn't much depending on the car.

I really wanna see where the RX sits because the FE water, for a lot more money, doesn't have the gaming chops.

5. dr_deathy

dr_deathy Member

Sorry only nvidia have turbo lag (texture load issue). :lol:

Maybe get it right next time as V8 dont have lag.

You might say AMD are like Tesla, you know, the future not the old DX11.

6. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

I never implied v8's have lag.. it was to show that Nvidia got its performance from a solid foundation. v8 with 300kw where AMD tacked something (turbo) onto a weaker foundation 4 Cyl and pushed it pretty hard (20psi)

edit: I think I get it now, you say Nvidia has turbo lag via texture load issue.

What cars run more then 20psi boost stock? Not a great deal I would think.

Anyway I am not saying this is case for Vega but some early signs of it.. But if the price is right, a nice water block + beefy PSU will save the day.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  7. Unframed

Unframed Member

A lot of euros. All golf gtis are around 22, golf r is 24, Audi S3 is 24 etc etc

Really irrelevant to Vega at this point though [emoji14]

8. power

power Member

Reminds me of a time not so long ago when AMD released a competitive CPU called the Athlon 64 and Intel released a hot, under-performing bolted together POS called the Pentium D.....

9. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

your wrinkles are showing... that's ancient history.

My Fiesta ST does...

10. PRiME2007

PRiME2007 Member

I don't experience this with my Fury X, tell me your secret? Because mine chokes like a little bitch when going above 4GB VRAM, fallou4 is a good test., And my 980ti beats it in most games, (FO4, Skyrim, Andronmeda, to name a few).

Anyway I really fear the release of the RX Vega now, perhaps they can make the lowest end version perform good but each passing day kinda pushes me towards saving up for a mini 1080ti card once NVIDIA slashes the prices by $200aud. (they will wait until after vega). I really wanted a freesync card, but looks like I will need to skip AMD this generation until they figure out how to make them small and cool again.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  11. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

Mine was great, the core performance capped the card well before the memory amount ever did, a lot of games struggled to run at 3440x1440@60fps on High settings, but the card was only used 2-3GB of mem, hell my Titan barley sees more than 4GB of mem usage.

You have to enable massive texture files in games that support it to have issue with memory.

12. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

isn't that 'overboost' and for like 10 seconds?

Anyway, this is going too far off topic lol

13. PRiME2007

PRiME2007 Member

A little bit better look here with some minor undervolting reducing wattage by 83W and giving slightly better or on par performance to 1080 stock card.

But still its quite a big card and really hasn't got much headroom without huge power consumption so I hope AMD has really gone to town with the RX Vega in this department. 300W is ok, 400W is NOT ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZkfYDWwo7s

14. Euphoreia

Euphoreia Member

Why is 400w not OK? I remember when 40w was not OK.

15. bart5986

bart5986 Member

IMO anything is ok if you have the right price/performance.

16. power

power Member

correct me if wrong but wouldn't 400W push up the overall cost of ownership and also heat levels?

17. Unframed

Unframed Member

Cost of ownership, yes but someone buying a high end GPU won't be that concerned by power draw. Hell I was considering buying an R9 390 Devil 13 before getting my Fury X, that beast drew around 700W requiring 4x 8pin.

Temp is a so so. It will be warmer but if a cooling solution is on point does it really matter?

18. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Dual GPU you can forgive such a power draw though.

I'm all for Vega. Really hope it kills it even though i've invested in Nvidia, but even i must admit the power draw is a bit so so. I mean, i run an 850w and run a K processor + 2x 1080 ti's...And the Ti's are inefficient compared to base 1080s. (1080 is 180, ti is 250). Dunno if i could do that with Vega looking at it?

That looks awesome!!!

19. power

power Member

I know I wouldn't give a shit about the power draw, but heat and noise I do.

20. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

id like to see a cost analysis done on a high end rig with 200w vs 400w the difference wouldn't be massive..