AMD64 vs Intel P4 Hypthreading

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Bain, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Bain

Bain Member

Hi All,

Can anyone point me in the right direction to a few sites that compare the 2 cpu's.

What are the benefits for and against both CPU's?

Ive never been a pro Intel or AMD supporter and its been a long time since i upgraded.

The main thing im looking at is a mix between gaming (World of Warcraft) and Ripping DVD's.

Im finding my old 2.4gig P4 (non hyperthreading), 1.5gig ram chugs like hell when i try and run WoW and Rip a dvd at the same time.. Im after something that will do both.. but not to expensive.

Mods:I think this belongs here as its to do with Hardware discussion.. If it isnt please move it.

2. marty_s13

marty_s13 Member

I dont think anything is going to run both a ripping application and a game at the same time with ease, they are both going to be very CPU intensive.

If your looking for something that does both seperately then i would go A64.

3. fedex

fedex (Banned or Deleted)

i dont have much knowledge in the area but i think the p4 would help you out more

4. Chamelion

Chamelion Member

As with any single chip AMD setup youd experience appalling multi-tasking where two or more CPU intensive programs are running.

Sounds like a P4 would be your best bet.

Matt.

5. lazyboy1984

lazyboy1984 Member

P4 with HT will be better for something like that. i've done some encoding in the background and played Q3 at the same time and it was doable.

suggest getting another 512MB of ram, get a dual channel 865PE mobo so u can run the 2 gigs in dual channel, 1 gig per channel and the fastest HT CPU u can afford.

if the amount of time it takes to encode matters to u, grab a prescott as they do it faster. if u prefer a cooler running CPU, get the northwood instead (there are still 3.0ghz and 3.4ghz northies still around)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  6. hellcat

hellcat Member

Last night I was running dvdx, ripping a home dvd to divx for a mate and running doom III with an average drop of 5fps (from 40 down to 35) and dvdx was still ripping at 28fps.

Although I must admit load times between levels went up a bit but that was due to the harddrive usage rather than the cpu usage. I was also running folding but that doesn't really count due to the low priority.

My system
    A64 3500+ @ 2600
    A8N-sli delux
    1Gb OCR ram

-Hellcat

7. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Ripping while gaming sounds like a bad idea to me, but if you must, you could try lowering the priority of the ripping/encoding thread/task. This would let the game use more CPU time, while the encoding would take longer, but as it'll just finish in the background while you're gaming you're probably not counting the seconds there anyway..

8. OP
    OP
    Bain

Bain Member

Yeah true.. I was thinking that the hyperthreading would be more advantageous as it is in effect a virtual dual cpu setup.. Or am i totally off the mark?

Ive just found with my current setup i cant do much on the pc while its ripping a dvd..

9. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

got UDMA working on your hard drives? :) i dunno about ripping etc, but if it's chugging when accessing the drive a lot, UDMA might not be enabled.

10. ShaneHm2

ShaneHm2 Member

also Pentium 4 uses the HyperThreading Technology
    AMD 64 use HyperTransport Technology
    two different things

11. krell

krell Member

dont know if you can wait, but my suggestion is a socket 939, because they (amd) are 'sposed to be releasing a dual core 939 arn't they ?.

mmmmmmmmmmmm dual core...........

12. hellcat

hellcat Member

I've heard that too, though I'm not too sure about it. Can anybody confirm that dual cores will be released for s939?

-Hellcat

13. ShaneHm2

ShaneHm2 Member

according to here they will be released sometime in 2nd half of this year

14. spludgey

spludgey Member

Right... I wish I hadn't upgraded in a long time.

15. SomeGuy1234

SomeGuy1234 Member

http://www.intel.com/business/bss/products/hyperthreading/overview.htm

having said that, trying to rip a DVD and play WoW wont be easy for any CPU to do unless you go for a proper SMP setup

16. Lulu

Lulu Member

I believe the lga dualcore p4 will be released before the 939 dualcore a64 whats the difference between hypertransport and hyperthreading and do all amds and intels have it or only highend ones

17. Drnrg

Drnrg Member

i agree completely, who rips dvd's and plays games anyway?
    there is no perfect argument for either, each has its pro's and con's but something to keep in mind is that most software is still written for 32 bit platforms, not 64 bit, including windows, which means that the majory of software will not make use of the extra memory space provided by 64bit cpu's, if you were going to buy one tommorrow i'd say get a P4 with HT, but if we're talking a few months down the track mabye athlon 64? also remember that intel is going to be bringing out 64bit cpu's in the near future

18. tin

tin Member

Hyperthreading is fake dual CPUs. Only a limited ammount of CPU is dual in them at this point, though I believe there is a more full version coming.

Hypertransport is nothing like that. It is direct I/O between devices in the system (CPU and RAM, CPU and PCI controller, etc).

Intel is starting to use hypertransport style designs, but is lagging behind AMD.
    AMD is hoping to bring out a dual core CPU sometime in the future, but I don't think it will be out before 2006. It is inteded to be a full Dual Core CPU.

Edit: Intel HT will not function that greatly over no HT for ripping and gaming at the same time. The shared cache, IO bus, etc will limit things.

My brother used to rip DVDs (easydivx) and play GTA3 at the same time on his dual Celeron 450. Didnt effect things much. His new(er) single athlon xp 2200+ does it better, but you'd expect that :p

19. Akimbo

Akimbo Member

well, right this second im defragging C: drive while capturing Club V Top 30 on D: drive.
    No dropped frames, infact i was playing CS Source (in a desktop window)while capturing some Tsunami videos on the news a while back, and that was capturing fine, and thats some damn intensive processing there.

As for DVD encoding, no sweat, just use AoADVD Ripper (simple and does a fine job), and save the Divx to the 2nd ICH5/6 drive, and screw around doing other stuff.

Im finding the BEST setup for multi-intensive tasking is P4-HT with Low Latency RAM and 2 seperate drives on the ICH5/6 SATA connectors.

That way, you have C: drive to muck around with windows files, and D: to do anything you like on it, and they arent limited by PCI IRQ.

20. zpnq

zpnq Member

arent the dualcore cpus going to be socket 940? i read somewhere that they need the extra pin to make them dualcore