AMD's F U to Nvidia

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by lowdog, Dec 7, 2018.

1. RnR

RnR Member

Everyone was talking about Navi - not a Vega refresh. Also AMD is constrained in the price they can set due the Instinct architecture. Its 16Gb of HBM2 ram (something like $US380 worth) - if they could have shipped an 8Gb version they would have and undercut the 2080 series. But they can't. Apparently then they would lose ROPs. So nVidia got a break this time around ;)

Zenskas likes this.
  2. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Shame this isnt the card you were talking about

3. Sledge

Sledge Member

If you were SO correct you'd know this isn't the RX 3xxx card that is being talked about in this thread..
    Good luck with your dodgy powerball numbers that won't win a thing...

Zenskas likes this.
  4. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

and what do you think the likely hood of releasing a FASTER and CHEAPER card than this in a few months time is

lol

about as good a chance as AMD over taking intel in total sales.

anyone that thinks 2070 performance @ $250 is seriously deluded

as it is now this card will be a big massive dinosaur hot steaming pile of failure

offering 1080ti performance @ a much higher price over 2 years after the 1080ti -- lol what a joke anyone who wanted 1080ti like performance at higher (or equal to) 1080ti performance prices would ahve done so by now,

5. flinchy

flinchy Member

$250 USD. $350 AUD+GST. $400 AUD.

That's totally realistic.

There's also the likelihood with this Radeon 7 having amazing performance in some games that blow NVIDIA out of the water moreso than others. Demo showed 68% performance improvement over the V64 in FO76 for example. It has an insane amount of memory bandwidth and apparently some games love that, who knew?

6. OJR

OJR Member

hahahahah village idiot strikes again.

7. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

yep go back to your village

unless you seriously think that this amfail card is good value for money

this $699 usd card wont do 4k 60 fps reliably

there is no chance -- i repeat no chance that a $250 amfail card will

like I said this is a big hot steaming pile of failure -- and one who wanted to spend 1080ti money on 1080ti performance would have done so allready

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  8. spank36

spank36 Member

Cool looking card, but appears to be a stop gap till Navi. Still, if they can do an 8/12gb version (not sure if their architecture would enable this) they'd have a mean card.

9. power

power Member

problem is they've been stopping gaps for so long now that most people have moved on, they need a Ryzen moment. But how do you do that in the GPU space? They have tried to target workstation but keep coming up short even there, it's a real uphill battle and tbh i wish AMD had never aquired ATi.

Maybe APU will be their future, but you know it's not like nV don't have APU as well.

10. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Nvidia CEO: "Radeon VII is lousy and nothing new"

“The performance is lousy and there’s nothing new,”

“[There’s] no ray tracing, no AI. It’s 7nm with HBM memory that barely keeps up with a 2080. And if we turn on DLSS we’ll crush it. And if we turn on ray tracing we’ll crush it.”

“It’s a weird launch, maybe they thought of it this morning,”

Court Jester likes this.
  11. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

I agree its lolz its going to be at best 1080 ti performance at 2080 prices

12. weak beta male

weak beta male Member

does nobody care about power consumption? this thing is 300w at 2080 performance, which was 210w if i remember, it has smaller transistors than 2080 at higher power. u all forget ur in australia and the electricity price is very high, not to mention heat if u have a malfunctioning air con. i really wish amd can offer something competitive. power has determined all my previous buys, i'd rather pay more for a lower power same performance product.

cmi83 likes this.
  13. RnR

RnR Member

If you are on AMD and you care about power consumption, you undervolt. Actually if you are on AMD, you always undervolt anyways :D Some drastic power savings can be had.

Should be interesting to see if undervolting works on the 7nm uarch.

14. power

power Member

I'm expecting people to be wanting to go the other way and overclock the bejeebus out of them but the question of the "last gen" cards with their hideous power draw rears it's ugly head.

15. RnR

RnR Member

Undervolting and overclocking is a fairly common occurrence in AMD gpu land, but then you don't get savings in power consumption. Its the same with 2080 series, apparently it can draw 500W under overclocking conditions?

16. havabeer

havabeer Member

No, the power consumption is buggerall on the scale of things, a differnce of 90w, turn off a light or two in your house if you're that worried about it.

If you where still gpu mining with 10 cards you may have to worry about it, casual gaming is a different story

17. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

And how many hours is the average person actually gaming each year? Cause the rest of the time, even with the computer being on, it will be idling away using bugger all power the same as just about any modern GPU.

Lower power consumption on a single GPU won't save you much money at all unless you game 8+ hours a day. Even then you should be looking at many other areas of your house first in order to save power if it's really important to you. Heating/cooling, old fridges, appliances sitting on standby for days on end, old school lighting technology, etc.

I know plenty of gamers and they give no fucks about actual power consumption in their home, they'll leave everything on, stick with old incandescent light bulbs, windows and doors wide open or poorly sealed while air con is running, yet somehow their GPU efficiency matters more than that???

Power consumption is certainly important for minimum PSU requirements, cooling and often size - all far more important things to consider than the 20 buck a year saving of a more efficient GPU.

18. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

It might matter if you do what one of my buddies does and leave your computer on 24/7 with a game running and never close it

19. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Where you you buying lights that use 45-90w?

yaphax likes this.
  20. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

My living room has 8x 10w LED downlights... that's 80w right there, before you use the kitchen lights or any other lights in the house.