AMD's F U to Nvidia

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by lowdog, Dec 7, 2018.

1. c4dderly

c4dderly Member

That 1080ti is still rocking...

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Radeon_VII/28.html

Relative performance (summary of 21 games)
    @1080p
    1% faster than a 2070
    8% slower than a 1080ti
    16% slower than a 2080
    35% slower than a 2080ti

@1440p
    6% faster than a 2070
    5% slower than a 1080ti
    14% slower than a 2080
    39% slower than a 2080ti

@4k
    10% faster than a 2070
    same as a 1080ti
    10% slower than a 2080
    39% slower than a 2080ti

2. maxrig

maxrig Member

Really? There was a benchmark comparing the R7 Vs RTX 2080. Clearly,
    the RTX 2080 and the R7 is a competing product.

https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-unveils-next-gen-radeon-vii-launches-february-7-for-dollar699/

What do you think Nvidia have been doing all these years?

3. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

I think a certain few people just don't get this or want to have rational conversations re these companies, it just has to be AMD sucks or Nvidia sucks etc.

As has been said, it's a win/win situation for AMD to palm off some otherwise useless silicon (ie: non viable MI50 chips), they didn't make it have less memory or anything else because that would involve dev costs and make the whole thing pointless. As it stands, it competes with the 2080 for the same money and AMD probably don't care how many sell, but by the looks of it, all the units they had to sell have sold, so happy days.

The big plus it has, unlike the Titan cards, they have kept a lot of the compute functions from the MI50 so it looks to be a real powerhouse (as most AMD cards are) in this area which does interest me, but I need to see some reviews on that side first.

4. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

I said Developed - It is well known that Vega 20 was NOT initially developed to ever see the light of day as a gaming product. they invested a lot of $ to leverage 7nm for the Sever/deep learning/ pro market. Because the margins are huge here. it's not so high risk.

The world was not to know however that Nvidia were going to regress on perf/$ with the relase of Turing. Nor that the RTX features Nvidia hoped to push as a value propiosition would be shunned by consumers (for now).

Once this became apparent, it seems AMD decided they would push it into a gaming/creator SKU, that we're seeing today..

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd-7nm-vega-not-for-gaming
    https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd-7nm-vega-computex-2018-launch
    https://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphics/46014-vega-7nm-is-not-a-gpu

I don't know what you mean by this.. we're discussing the RTX 2080, i.e TU204. it's not a harvested/partially disabled die.

5. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

The problem is that you make this very comment in a long-running thread entitled 'AMD's F U to Nvidia', proving that the 'certain few people' referred to are actually more in number. This was, from the beginning, an emotional thread full of fanboy leanings. As unfortunately, many other threads have been.

Isn't it time to stop coming up with excuses, and ways of reducing your own disappointment, and simply waiting to see what happens, and then determining whether it warrants our support, rather than the other way around?

Objectively, this card is not a good effort by AMD based on the expectations it created and the market it is selling in. It is not a win/win. It is ostensibly a "me too" gaming GPU,and is marketed as such:

AMD Radeon VII Press Deck(1)-22_575px.png

AMD customers were clearly expecting greater competitiveness with Nvidia on the gaming GPU front (again, hence the title of this thread) so that Nvidia would wind up having to lower prices to benefit all gamers. That's what competition is about.

I don't care if AMD or Nvidia "win" for their own sake, and neither should you, unless you own shares in either company. I also think it's a naive person who believes that if AMD ever gets the upper hand, they'll somehow not follow in Nvidia's footsteps and try to maximize their profits the same way. They're a publicly listed company, not a charity, they have no other choice.

I've seen this happen so often, it's getting really old. Fans hype up a product, it comes out and fizzles, the excuses are trotted out, and the fanboys double down on even wilder speculation for the next release, rinse and repeat:

"It was the Vernal Equinox and we all know AMD doesn't do well when the Sun is in that position... Oh, and if the rumours are true that AMD is developing triple-cycle DDR5 with Unobtanium-laced interconnectors, they'll destroy Nvidia! Plus, Nvidia probably has inside people in AMD stealing their secrets".

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that whatever AMD releases next is not going to destroy Nvidia. Or Intel. They are currently evolving their tech to steadily reach a point where they can consistently match their much larger rivals. That's a tough ask in itself. Having a bunch of excited kids hyping every launch to the level of the second coming of Jesus doesn't help.

Perko likes this.
  6. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

And that did not happen. AMD could still make a point by undercutting RTX 2080 prices - but this seems also not to happen (or possible given their costly production). So, I can hardly see the Radeon VII becoming a success story. The only positive aspect I can see is that nVidia at least is getting some sort of "remote" competition in the premium.

7. OP
    OP
    lowdog

lowdog Member

WTF!!!......did AMD just do a F U to themselves :Paranoid:

I mean the Radeon VII works but it's hit and miss performance wise (driver issues????) Russian roulette with games locking up and system not booting issues. Good God AMD :rolleyes:

@PersianImmortal LOL at your post it's excellent, made me smile. :thumbup:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  8. jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

I really think we should change the thread title.

9. RnR

RnR Member

The Phoronix review covered compute benchies - https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=radeon-vii-linux&num=9

Apparently AMD has admitted to at least one reviewer that their drivers still has 1 or more issues.

Just start a new one... the thread was originally about Navi... not V7

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  10. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

it was about amd giving a FU to nvidia -- it seems than nvidia was indeed the one that gave the FU to AMD

by enabling freesync support there is no reason to own a amd card now.

this card does not change that neither will Navi

11. RnR

RnR Member

You can rewrite history all you want my friend, but that doesn't make you right :)

12. jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

I don't want to be responsible for that mess :D

RnR likes this.
  13. Sledge

Sledge Member

I don't really see much of an issue..
    This card does compete with the RTX2080 on both performance and price.. though it does have some issues with noise and power consumption..

So for anyone that does not want or cannot afford an RTX2080ti, this would be a perfectly viable card to look at. depending on what they want to use it for of course.. even just for gaming it should be ok. (though we may have been hoping for better than just OK)

14. weak beta male

weak beta male Member

much more power at same performance with smaller transistors. how is amd going to compete in the future? rtx 3080 ti will probably be 2x faster at the same power. before someone insults me for this, if your air con is broke and it cost 14k to replace it (central air con) and its summer, u'd understand how i feel.

15. Perko

Perko Member

You'd be barking to buy it purely for gaming over a 2080.

16. RnR

RnR Member

Undervolting still works on the V7. Folks are reporting getting down to 210W while still nipping at the heels of the 2080.
    Navi is reported not to have any compute circuits and Navi is designed and optimised for 7nm, unlike V7.

17. RnR

RnR Member

18. Sledge

Sledge Member

19. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

20. nope

nope Member

Not as bad as rtx but the drivers seem like a hot mess.