AMD's F U to Nvidia

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by lowdog, Dec 7, 2018.

1. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

It's on sales (for ordering) in Japan at 85,000 JPY, that's around 1,000 AUD, and 10% cheaper than the cheapest RTX 2080 in Japan.

I guess some people will be tempted.

2. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

So I found something amusing to take away from all of this.

The main RTX title on the market at the moment is Battlefield V and the Radeon VII handily beats the 2080 in this title (even without Raytracing turned on) from the reviews I have read

eg: https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_vii_16_gb_review,11.html

Other than that I really wanted this card to be competitive and I would have preferred waiting another month for driver issues to be sorted than having to deal with the mess that it seems to be atm.

Perhaps in the coming weeks once things get sorted I will give it another serious look but for now it isnt compelling enough to upgrade.

3. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

It’s $998 Aud here in taiwan. $974 if I pay cash.

(Cheapest 2080 is 1050$)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  4. bart5986

bart5986 Member

This is to do with the Frostbite engine, AMD has always performed well with it.

The unfortunate issue is that both Nvidia and AMD cards perform really well with Battlefield 5 and its really not that demanding on the GPU.

This makes the extra performance the Radeon VII gets mostly pointless.

The performance matters with Raytracing, which the Radeon VII can't do anyway.

5. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

6. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

I don't think there is any point in discussing RTX in BF, it's extremely limited. Wait a week for Metro Exodus at least.

Frostbite isn't demanding on the GPU? Hahahaha.

7. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

I don't think Navi is going to be that different, from what I am seeing online it's still CGN with some further work to it, so think Polaris shrunk to 7nm with some optimisations, should be great low/mid range cards and hopefully priced well.

AMD won't really have much to say until their next arch is put out, which looks to be 2020 or so, I think they were calling it Arcturus and this will be the first non GCN arch, so this should be the indicator of what they can do with the money they now have.

Would love to see some video rendering and cg rendering benchmarks, thinking there probably isn't much point moving from the Titan at this point.

RnR likes this.
  8. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Frostbite has been optimized for AMD due to the long-running deal AMD had with DICE. For example, AMD and EA DICE announced their Battlefield 3 partnership in 2013, and it's rumoured that AMD spent $8m on a BF4 optimization deal with DICE. The Frostbite Mantle aspect of the deal favoured AMD GPUs - by the way, Mantle is yet another great example of how a huge amount of hype can be inconsequential for any company.

BF5 is formally an Nvidia sponsored game, but that doesn't negate the AMD-favored work that's gone into the frostbite engine for years. it does however create an uneven playing field for AMD GPUs, so it's not an indicator of general gaming performance either way. I wouldn't use frostbite as an indicator of anything other than frostbite performance, so it's only relevant if you play a lot of Battlefield.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  9. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Or Anthem

10. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Are there many people playing a game that hasn't been released yet?

EDIT: Just to head off the expected comments - Anthem's performance is unknown, and is apparently quite concerning

So it's not really representative of the frostbite engine either it seems, other than running better on AMD GPUs.

11. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

There were a lot of people playing the demo. Granted it's not a final build, or very well optimized.

12. bart5986

bart5986 Member

An Nvidia 1080 will get an average of 97fps at 1440p at ultra.

Thats not demanding in my opinion, not compared to other games.

There not point in boasting/complaining about "only 100fps".

However once you turn raytracing on, it matters as the FPS drops.

Its not even a discussion for the Radeon VII because it can't do raytracing.

13. Perko

Perko Member

So it's an efficient/optimised engine.

The initial point said "Even with raytracing off, the Radeon is competitive", which suggests a logic fail, because the RTX cards would smash it with raytracing on, (can you turn it on without an FP16/RTX module?).

14. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

You're confusing the game with the engine.

15. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

they should do an 8gb Radeon VII and knock $100 off, then it might be worth getting.

16. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Raytracing is not worth it right now. You’re buying for the future.

Raytracing in BFV is limited to reflections. Wooooo amazing. Seriously discussing ray tracing is pointless when it’s currently useless.

17. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

I think as well given the cost is taken up by the HBM. Less HBM less cost theoretically.

18. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

They can't, because they need 4 blocks to HBM to get 4 channels of memory BW throughput, and they only make HBM in 4Gb stacks.

19. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

Doesn't work that way, it was only released to use dud MI50 chips, changing the design from 16/32GB would require development time and cost which would be stupid. They are just selling what they have and that's it.

tunksy likes this.
  20. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Interesting. That does not sound good, because it seems to exclude the possibility of a "budget" Radeon VII. I fear this is all not too good for AMD. Their brand new product is behind the RTX 2080, but cost more or less the same, plus nVidia has much better driver support.