AMD's F U to Nvidia

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by lowdog, Dec 7, 2018.

1. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

...a 1080equiv. for 250usd. (350aud) next year...sometime. ..im just processing that. and making ready to be underwhelmed at launch time.
    ive had 4 x ati cards and am on my 4th nvidiot card. ...not including a lappy with an amd card in it... so thats 5 ati/amd cards.

i'd like to see amd compete and will support it next year ...probably.

prices are just too insane for me at this point in time.

im also not convinced amd will bring budget options to the table. i hope im wrong.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    tunksy and Sledge like this.
  2. asho444

asho444 Member

actually they never stated that at all. They aimed for a 40% IPC increase and ended up with 54% ryzen fucking delivered and is the best price performance in everysegment bar max fps.

Given that the engineers that they stole from Vega for ryzen are finally back on it I will remain scepitcally hopeful

RnR and cmi83 like this.
  3. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

incorrect thread title, AMD's FU to people who brought the vega series. didnt the 64 launch at like $1100? and it competed with a 1070? lol

edit here:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  4. OP
    OP
    lowdog

lowdog Member

Vega never launched at 1K dollars......it ultimately got overinflated to that figure due to freekin mining boom...….thankfully that has collapsed now.

5. asho444

asho444 Member

I just picked up a Vega 56 and I must say it is actually an impressive card when cooled properly, it is actually out performing my 1080 in bench marks.

If they are able to die shrink and get a hold on the thermals and power usage it will be a weapon of a card!

6. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Well no they released it at $900AU and gave it a $250 discount for first sales. After that alottment sold it, it went back up.

7. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

Exactly...For how many years now have we regularly hears AMD’s next product ‘will actually be competitive!’ Only to be let down horribly upon release...

I would be thrilled if they actually finally release something that isn’t trash, and provide some actual competition on the high end consumer card market. But I have very little faith in it happening due to crying wolf so many times already

Sledge likes this.
  8. congoh

congoh Member

They "delivered" with Ryzen so while it would be natural to be doubtful about their claims, claims made are not Trump level porkies and are well within their projected capabilities.
    Remember, $$ is in mid to lower level gfx cards. While it would be good to have high end cards that pushes the limit it doesn't do much for financial bottom line for AMD.
    We need AMD to be in good financial shape to keep NVidia and Intel playing monopoly.
    Crypto mining demonstrated just how bad things could go (it's a good thing that was always going to be temp. as it was bad while it lasted)

9. 2_stroke

2_stroke Member

Well I hope the price is real though doubt it will be that great, they need to make profit, amd has always been the best bang for buck with the only issue being power and heat and they don’t have the resources to provide as good as preformance in driver improvements as nVidia gaming wise. I have ran agp cards from the 9600 ati to a 280x

I prey for another HD 4870 realse era with the bang for buck card like the HD 4850 witch bet the gtx 9800 nVidia flag ship. God I remember the day picking up my 4870 and new e8400 775 parts This time I grabbed a 2070 though I couldn’t wait and have an itx build one Thing I’ll be dreading is not having FreeSync grrr

10. miicah

miicah Member

Had the same thing, was a god tier combo.

11. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

that series was the best bang 4 buck, but the nvidiots still outsold them :lol:

12. mtma

mtma Member

It's not so clear cut, the risky area is trying to put out a top end product but not being number one. When you have a notable top end lead - like nVidia does now in both graphics and compute - you spin a lot of money, but if you even miss it by a small margin you're screwed versus the investment required to develop it.

13. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

14. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

Revenue is not profit. It could all be absolutely a waste of time if they only made $1 profit.

15. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

we'll never know.
    5-10% profit on cpu's is one guesstimate i've heard. doubt they'd be in business on 1%

16. Sledge

Sledge Member

I thought most of these companies claim a loss all the time anyway......

17. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

wow you mean amd are ringing performance we have had available to us for 2 years allready and wont be available from amd for another year or so

\how does amd do it I wonder --

18. dzajroo

dzajroo Member

Well nvidia slaps RTX on it and sell it as RTX 2080 :p

19. Zee

Zee Member

Yup - I'm with this guy. 1080Ti performance for $250, and I'm offloading my 1080.

The 2080 pricing is insane. It's actually worse than Apple pricing policy in a lot of ways...

Not going to own the crown, but for folks that want good gfx on a budget, that's not terrible.

Z...

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    museumman likes this.
  20. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

there is zero chance that amd will release a card that has 1080ti erformance for $250

IF

and that is a massive IF

IF amd can actually make a card that can deliver 1080 ti performance ( 3 years after nvidia ) it will be at most 20% cheaer than the nvidia card no different to the vega.

some people here are smoking some seriously good stuff if they think amd will release a faster and cheaper card than the rx 590 next month when the 590 has only just been released.