AMD's F U to Nvidia

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by lowdog, Dec 7, 2018.

1. maxrig

maxrig Member

2. power

power Member

yeah it's not like they haven't done consoles in the past (OG XBox, PS3). Still, 32 mil old tegra's nice work if you can get it and not something they'd turn down. People are saying that Switch may be worth about a billion to nv.

AMD supposedly are working quite hard especially with Microsoft to make their SoC's in console better and better. Maybe if they toss those shithouse Jaguar CPU's in the bin consoles will be able to be better.

the below article may be open to interpretation - but it's clear there is still money being made.

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/laptops/ne...-972-million-from-the-nintendo-switch-1871499

3. chook

chook Member

I remember reading in a textbook some years ago (which probably means it is useless) that if one of your customers makes up more than 5% of your revenue then they own you. The only saving grace here is that it is 18% of Nvidia's gaming revenue, not overall revenue.

4. maxrig

maxrig Member

Nvidia gross profit margin is around 65%.

5. chook

chook Member

Am I missing something? Revenue and profit margin (gross or net) aren't the same.

6. maxrig

maxrig Member

Yeah not the same but 18% of the gaming revenue is pretty significant.

7. havabeer

havabeer Member

AMD's F u to Nvidia... we've now descended into discussing how much money Nvida makes :lol:

8. power

power Member

yup threads done, AMD hyped up, crashed and burned.

I vote new thread just for the card.

9. Perko

Perko Member

Technically the thread is for a different card lol.

10. power

power Member

true it's for Navi isn't it - that card that keeps getting it's release bumped.

11. chook

chook Member

Well, we need to know how much money Nvidia has to pay for the hookers AMD are using to fuck them because it looks like AMD is unable to do the fucking themselves.

12. Perko

Perko Member

They swear it's coming, and when it does it'll totally smash a 980Ti 1080 1080Ti 2070.

13. power

power Member

their 980Ti KILLER, FU NVIDIA!

Perko likes this.
  14. Sledge

Sledge Member

15. power

power Member

16. Danthemanz

Danthemanz Old School Admin

Wow, I'm a big supporter of this card (not being much into gaming these days and playing a lot with Macs) but this is insane. No graphics card should "need" a bios update.
    I wonder how much of this is related to reviewer samples and how many retail cards are affected.
    Surely others would have noticed this with their secure boot being enabled.. .

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  17. RnR

RnR Member

18. Perko

Perko Member

It's more common than you think with AIB cards. But the only thing I've seen it really needed for was when a certain brand undervolted 2D mode too far with two models to keep them quiet at idle, and web browsers were crashing the cards when they used hardware acceleration.

19. Nian

Nian Member

So... After new drivers, BIOS update, and AMD wizardry. The card is actually quite good.

Is everyone still unhappy after the shits been fixed? Also, not noisy. Just turn on AUTO undervolting.

RnR likes this.
  20. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

I am interested in getting one, but they are basically non-existent. If they become available and even get a bit cheaper down the road I might grab one. There just isn't much point when you have the choice of a 1080Ti already for much cheaper, it's same issue the 2080 has really (and at least the 2080 has the RTX stuff if that floats your boat).

The only reason I see for actually wanting this (as I do) is for content creation, it's a pretty cheap FirePro/Quadro type card.