AMD's F U to Nvidia

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by lowdog, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Nian

Nian Member

So... After new drivers, BIOS update, and AMD wizardry. The card is actually quite good.

Is everyone still unhappy after the shits been fixed? Also, not noisy. Just turn on AUTO undervolting.

RnR likes this.
  2. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

I am interested in getting one, but they are basically non-existent. If they become available and even get a bit cheaper down the road I might grab one. There just isn't much point when you have the choice of a 1080Ti already for much cheaper, it's same issue the 2080 has really (and at least the 2080 has the RTX stuff if that floats your boat).

The only reason I see for actually wanting this (as I do) is for content creation, it's a pretty cheap FirePro/Quadro type card.

3. Nian

Nian Member

Certainly worth a look later on. But the next purchase I make will be a Ryzen 3000 series.

4. Danthemanz

Danthemanz Old School Admin

GOt any links to the changes specifically?
    I was never unhappy with it, i want one. Just waiting for one to become available and for the next build of MacOS for the embedded driver...
    Seriously though, i havent seen one in stock yet, here or anything place that ships to oz.
    Im guessing people who put preorderes in over the last two weeks have got some cards shipped? Does anyone know for a fact there are some in Oz?

2_stroke likes this.
  5. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

So what’s going on with this?
    At this stage matching 1080ti is too little and FAR too late. As someone disgruntled by the RTX release I would have been a prime candidate to finally buy an AMD Card, which I haven’t done since 4770x2...But they simply don’t have anything on the high end.

6. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

The only card that actually pushed performance for price up is the 2080Ti and that's only 20-30% over what we currently had for a lot of extra money. So basically the high end is dead at this point, unless you're silly enough to buy a 2080Ti. Just get a 1080Ti and be done with it.

7. RnR

RnR Member

• Latest drivers fix various issues that reviewers experienced
    • Overclocking now functional for all (~2100mhz core, ~1200mhz memory), may get ~31k scores in Firestrike (on Intel cpu)
    • Undervolting can reduce power usage to 150-180w with little if any performance loss over stock
    Source - various posts on /r/AMD

8. spank36

spank36 Member

I watched the adored review yesterday

Gives some good details about the auto undervolting etc. Took it from a loud card to a nice and quiet card. Power usage looks ok too.

9. RnR

RnR Member

A little offtopic, but wtf is going on with umart - they are selling a single version of the RX 580 - no other AMD gpu's in stock :confused:

10. RnR

RnR Member

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  11. nope

nope Member

so disappointing.
    i thought rtx was bad but vega 7nm takes the cake at least nvidas crap is fast

12. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Hows your search for a $500 1080ti going

13. power

power Member

you heard it here first all video cards are crap.

14. 2_stroke

2_stroke Member

What drugs are you on lol the preform like better then last gen

15. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

it is still 2 years late and under performing

im late likes this.
  16. Nian

Nian Member

Hows that 8k monitor going, that needs more than a Radeon VII?

17. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Umart has some really weird stock issues lately. Just pages and pages and pages of out of stock or discontinued items.

18. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

????

Radeon VII is barely enough for 4K - either cop under 60fps, or turn settings down. It gets beaten almost across the board by RTX 2080, and mercilessly destroyed by 2080ti.

Given it's hardly better than the 2 year old 1080ti, is obnoxiously hot/loud/power hungry and cannot compete with the top end card (2080ti), I can't see any rationality in defending this. It's just yet another extremely underwhelming AMD release, too little too late.

Every new AMD card release has me wishing it'll finally be good...I've been waiting literally a decade now.

19. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

A decade? hah, you must have spent at least some of that time in a cave

20. Nian

Nian Member

Hot, power hungry, and Loud were the press drivers. Two clicks in wattman for 19.2.2 and all fixed.

As for performance, again. It's fast enough for decent 4k gaming. What else could you ask for? 2080ti is a $2k card. Hardly indicative of current gaming system expectations.

Waiting for a decade? Then you are a full flown moron. The R9 290X was a great card, that was 5 1/2 years ago. 7 years ago we had the HD7970 also a great card. Even more recently, the RX 480 was extremely good when released, price was great and performance was adequate for most.

What you really wanted was for a cheap AMD card that was crazy fast to come out. That way it would force nvidia to lower their prices, so you could buy theirs cheaper.