AMD's F U to Nvidia

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by lowdog, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Nian

Nian Member

Because the HD7970 and R9 290X were actually high end, fastest GPU's at the time of release.

The RX 5700 XT is not a high end card. It's not even close to the fastest, not even the fastest from AMD.

2. Nian

Nian Member

Performance is as expected. That's not the issue. They just got greedy, prices are too high. Knock US$100 of the RRP and it's very good.

3. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

5700 xt? seems like a 2070 'ti' ish thing based on lisa su's presentation.

nvidia will no doubt rain on their price niching parade and bring out some gimped offering to compete in its niche....like so many times in the past.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  4. Perko

Perko Member

Did you finally realise that they're actually a large corporation like Intel and Nvidia, Nian ?
    We've been telling you for a while now.

If it sells to their expectations, it's fine. But they need to be sure that they've got the profit/volume ratio right. AMD needs cash to put back into R&D, Nvidia's pricing gives them some scope to do this, and the Apple/PS4/PS5/XB deals will help with cash flow for some time yet.

5. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

At the end of the day, same perf for slightly cheaper is a win for consumers because Nvidia either has to bring out something better to justify the price, or drop the price. Yup, Nvidia fucked the pricing for everyone. But with AMD atleast matching performance this should hopefully result in reductions in pricing. Not stupid 1650's.

6. Perko

Perko Member

I'm not dissing AMD for doing it, I just hope that they have their numbers right.

7. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

I know you're not dissing it. I'm just saying I think the prices are right even tho I wish it was cheaper.

8. Nian

Nian Member

Nah. I just figured they weren't that stupid to think they had enough mindshare to pull this shit yet. Apparently I was wrong.

I thought it would take them at least two more years of rising market share, before they tried to price gouge their userbase.

9. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Nvidia don't have to do much to justify the price due to what they offer over AMD, however they often tweak a few things and stay ahead, because its really that easy for them due to how ahead they are.

A win for consumers would be a product that matches Nvidia in value, which means the same performance but for significantly less, the thing that AMD has teased us with for years and never delivered.

10. maxrig

maxrig Member

So it should be easy for AMD to counter with Navi, same goes with Radeon 7 competing with the RTX 2080 but they didn't. They just release with bigger trash GPU's.

Nvidia is the market leader in GPU's not AMD, If AMD wants to gain market they'll have to release better price, efficient, more features GPU's. At the moment AMD is just towing the company line and Nvidia is their boss. lol

11. maxrig

maxrig Member

The last 3 latest AMD GPU releases aka RX 590. Radeon 7 and now Navi are underwhelm, over hyped. People are bitching and whining about Nvidia ripping off consumers with their RTX line-up but here we are, AMD is doing the same with more crappy GPU's.

12. cbjaust

cbjaust Member

The consumer is to blame for spending the ridiculous asking price that nVidia has put on their lastest series, a long line in jacking up the price. Crazy that the mid range is $700 now.

13. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

vega the rx 480, 580 and fury were also crap

14. Nian

Nian Member

Yeah NO. For price / performance they were excellent (Excluding Fury). The Polaris chips did an excellent job. The issue is that there wasn't a high high end. Vega 64 is decent, but not staggeringly amazing.

15. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

the 580 was only good at the very end of life for value once amd dumped the price on it

it never really was able to compete with teh 1060 6gb card

16. Nian

Nian Member

Compete? The RX 580 is faster.

Like the old ads used to say. Don't do drugs children.

17. cbjaust

cbjaust Member

RX 580 was always on average faster than the 1060 6GB. The fact that it was a much better compute card hurt the value proposition during the mining apocolypse but once that died down a year ago and the prices returned to normal you'd have to be drinking the nVidia cordial to buy a 1060 6GB over the RX 580. People don't buy the best bang for the buck they just buy nVidia because they belive the hype. No one in their right mind should buy the 1050 Ti and yet that's a popular card. Crazy.

18. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

To be fair during the height of the mining the 1050ti was about the only card that wasn't stupidly gouged, but now that's passed it's piss poor value compared to the current rx570 prices

19. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

the 580 is generally NOT faster than a 1060 6gb

you should lay off the drugs I agree

20. RnR

RnR Member

Gentlemen, there is only one time tested way to resolve your differences.

You must post your best link from 20 paces.

May your sources be true. Good luck.

Court Jester likes this.