AMD's F U to Nvidia

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by lowdog, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

no...

Just No it wasnt

2. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  3. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

4. Perko

Perko Member

The RX580 and RX480 were fantastic bang for buck compute cards if nothing else. Gaming isn't "the industry".

5. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

they were shitty for gaming and shitty for video processing ( nvida cards shit all over am fail here)

6. Perko

Perko Member

You're either full of shit, living in 2013, or both. CUDA has lost a bunch of market share in video encoding to OpenCL over the last ~5 years, and GCN's OpenCL performance is excellent. Those RX cards were outpacing green team cards trying to brute force it at double their RRP.

7. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

I dont use my card for video encoding -- i use my card for video Decoding/processing and the 1060 is far far far superior in MadVR and for 4k upscaling

8. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

A Stock 8gb 580 beating a stock 6gb 1060 beating a stock 4gb 580?

Even when the 1060 6gb beats the 580 8gb, the average and 1% lows, are LOWER on the 1060... So you basically just proved the 580 is a better card...

Haha you're making me feel better about moving from Nvidia to AMD.

9. VL_BT1

VL_BT1 Member

haha man youre delusional

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/radeon-rx-580-review-benchmarks#nn-graph-sheet-max-temperature

And this perfectly encapsulates the stigma that AMD has to overcome. You are prepared to say something easily proven to be untrue, you probably even believed it when you typed it out. Without even thinking you might check your facts, you assumed it was right.

Nvidia has this mystic around the brand for delivering a halo product unchallenged for a while now. People unconsciously believe that nvidia is always better.

I think with this launch AMD is being a bit cheeky. They know that nvidia will have a response. probably drop prices for the 2070 to match the 5700xt, so 450. might even release a 2070ti for 499. Its expected, theyve done it many times before.

People are mad about the price of the 5700xt. I personally dont get it, if you dont want it, dont buy it. But I believe that the 5700xt has decent overlocking potential that AMD is leaving untapped. Their blower is said to run at 43db, i assume while maintaining the clock of 1775 average. Yet it can peak at 1905. Probably more if OC. if with some tuning the card can hold 1950 clocks, thats an extra 10% performance, and that could be a conservative estimate

Now imagine a 5700xt pushing 20% more than a 2070. Thats 2080 territory. Now imagine AMD wipe off 50 dollars too. 2080 performance for 400? These cards will fly off the shelves and no one will be whinging about rtx or tensor cores or how 5700 series is DOA

This is how AMD overcomes this rabid fanboyism that plagues the discussion around new tech. I think this is AMD's strategy.

10. Perko

Perko Member

So we're back to you defining what the industry is/wants/needs. Use cases are like opinions and arseholes, the commercial success of the Polaris cards isn't in dispute, there's a bunch of very good reasons for that other than just mining.

11. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

decoding / upscaling is a perfectly legitimate use

and encoding / processing nvidia is still ahead here and gaming they are the clear choice -- in fact just about in every way they are better

12. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

I proved EXACTLY what I claimed which is the 1060 6gb is a faster card Generally in gaming

13. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

again a proper review house comparing LIKE FOR LIKE

same series from teh SAME BRAND

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3426-xfx-rx-590-fatboy-review-benchmark

the 1060 is generally ahead

but hey lets not let facts get in the way of a good fangurl story

14. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

The high's are pointless. The average and 1% lows are the important numbers. The 1060 loses in both these. So you proved that based on your link, that the 580 is generally better in gaming than a 1060. No one wants their game to stutter or dip, which according to your link is what would happen.

15. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

you need to learn to read a graph -- the blue bar is the AVERAGE not high and it is generally HIGHER for the 1060

16. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

Not sure where you are going with that - I count the 580 being faster in 8 games with the 1060 faster in 4. There are 2 more that are within 0.5 of a frame of each other and 3 that the 1060 couldnt/didnt complete. That and it seems to be an ongoing table where results are added over time, not one where every card and game is retested for the review.

Certainly not a whitewash to the 1060. At the same time a slim win to the 580 isnt the drubbing that AMD enthususiasts sometimes proclaim.

17. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

lol it is faster in 3/4 games @ 1080p you needs to open you eyes ( no ones buys a 1060 to game @ 4k) and I never said a white wash I said GENERALLY faster ( and in 75% of the games that is the case)

18. VL_BT1

VL_BT1 Member

19. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

and F1 2018 and Farcry 5

20. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

I stand corrected.

So the 1060 on average is better but when it dips it just dips harder.

I never noticed this but even tho the averages are lower, the AMD cards are more consistent. I never looked at AMD because I've only ever owned Nvidia.