AMD's High Bandwidth Memory (HBM)

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Agg, May 21, 2015.

1. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

AMD have unveiled some details of their High Bandwidth Memory technology. AMD has been teasing about its next-gen Radeon (R9 390X we assume) graphics cards and processors back in early May. It is without doubt that at least some of the upcoming graphics cards will be the first to feature high-bandwidth memory (HBM), let's call is the turbo-charged offspring to GDDR5 memory, used in today’s graphics cards.

Coverage on Guru3D, Tech Report, PC Perspective, Tweaktown and Hot Hardware.

2. yxalitis

yxalitis Member

Guru 3D..amateur hour
    Stopped reading at "para-dime"

3. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Still dont understand how it can be 1024bit per stack if all the pins are connected at each layer, unless each stack has independent pins to the interposer but that means the bottom layer has 768 data pins going through it

/thick

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  4. power

power Member

but will their drivers ever work, this is truly the question.

don't get me wrong, it all sounds exciting - I just never get my hopes up with AMD/ATi.

5. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Catalyst Omega release was revolutionarily stable for AMD. Haven't had a single crash, no issues and great performance. :thumbup::thumbup:

6. power

power Member

Your sample size of 1 is truly heartening, however even you will agree - AMD/ATi has a reputation for shitty drivers.

7. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Lol. Most people who complain about AMD/ATI drivers left the red camp long ago for that reason, and haven't been back since the drivers were terrible, and aren't willing to try to see if they've changed.

Nvidia is still superior, but all I'm saying is that AMD aren't as bad as they used to be.

8. Osir1s

Osir1s Member

I agree, to an extent all swings and round abouts though, right now appears to be plenty of unhappy Nvidia fans trying to play The Witcher 3.

9. TaroT

TaroT Member

hey I agree there have been some m whopper bad amd drivers but these new 15.4's have been working well on all my cards from 7850,s to the 290

now there was an issue with black screen O death BUT I worked out after trial and error that it was the Samsung performance setting for the hard drive that caused it turned that of no issues.
    It all seems to fall back on chucking a hissy with system ram (black screens that is) in all my cases so they aren't perfect but as of the l;ast batch I have no issues.

as for Nvidia ...don't own a single one so can't comment :p

As for the HBM ram it will be interesting to see how it goes....at least it isn't deadbeat4

10. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

I think the technology itself is probably more exciting than the specific vendor introducing it. There must be absolutely no doubt that NV is working on something similar.

11. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

I believe their next release of cards will also have it as well, this is why I have held off updating my SLI GTX670's and also the current low onboard VRAM amounts.

12. VL_BT1

VL_BT1 Member

And what is your evidence for shitty drivers base on? Sample size of... two? Anecdotal evidence present on forums?

There was a time when amd had bad driver support I guess, so did Nvidia. These perpetual myths need to die and the products and support currently on offer viewed in a new light.

If its not drivers people will use to smear, its heat and noise or something similar. Lets not forget that nvidia has present cards that were significantly noise, but it isnt held against them these days.

Im the same as Sammy_boi. Never had an issue with AMD drivers. The 290x I run though is noisy and does get warm, but the lesson in there is to not buy on first day and if so, dont buy reference.

I really hope AMD comes out with something special here, akin to the 9800pro days.

13. kesawi

kesawi Member

They are:

Pascal, which will have HBM, isn't schedule for release until some time in 2016 so you'll need to wait a bit longer. I don't think the GTX980Ti, rumoured to be released in June, has HBM.

http://www.vcpost.com/articles/68839/20150521/gtx-980-ti-latest-update-nvidia-outmaneuvers-amd-preempts-hbm.htm

14. light487

light487 Member

I just hope that this new generation of cards will force the current generation of cards down in price.. hehe.. More than the normal depreciation, I mean. I want to upgrade my rig soon, but times have changed since my glory days of spending as much as I want on components.. these days I have a family to feed and financiers to keep happy :)

15. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I have the 290X.

Its stable I can give you that, and new games work without requiring a driver, but you would expect that.

What we still don't have?

1. Crossfire support for new games
    2. Performance improvements for new games.

AMD wait 2 months after a game release to release these things, by that time I've likely finished the game and moved on. And even then plenty of games go by without crossfire support.

Not that I would bother with crossfire anyway because from what I've heard frame latency is quite bad with it.

The only reason I don't buy Nvidia is because they are a bad company and unhealthy for the industry.

16. light487

light487 Member

Yup.. still waiting on the The Witcher 3 optimisations for my Radeon card..

17. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

>9.5 out of 10 games work just fine with xfire (and the frame pacing is sorted). Obviously there's a lot of noise made about the <5% that dont have an xfire profile on day 1 and, credit where credit is due, NV are usually on the ball with SLI.

Never understood why they moved to embedding the xfire profiles as part of the driver, thus tieing xfire peformance in to driver releases, why not just release the xfire profiles as required? But that's probably OT.

18. bart5986

bart5986 Member

This is incorrect. I had the 4870 x2, then the 6990, and now the 290x single card. While my friend got the 295x. I think I have enough experience with how AMD is going in this department.

The majority of new games do not have crossfire profiles. What you are saying is literally impossible because the only time AMD release a driver with a game release is when its an AMD game like Tomb Raider.

The only time AMD were releasing profiles regularly is when they were releasing the profiles separately to download via their website. They never did mention why they stopped this.

19. VL_BT1

VL_BT1 Member

But thats not two months is it?

Its been 4 days since the game was officially released. And the 290x is basically on par with the 970 as it is

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/The-Witcher-3-PC-237266/Specials/Grafikkarten-Benchmarks-1159196/

Im hoping with the release and migration over to DX12 these type of waiting scenarios will be a thing of the past anyhow

But this isnt a problem limited to AMD is it. Nvidia face the same issue. Its a DX11 thing from what Ive read.

20. bart5986

bart5986 Member

4 Days is a long time, you would generally finish most games in this time. And even if you don't like Witcher 3, you still have to endure lower FPS or wait for the driver until you can play.

The 290x being on par with the 970 isn't relevant. If work can be done to improve performance it should have already been done for release day so the card performs how it should.

Also I haven't read about DX12 solving any of this, what have you read?

What is a DX11 thing?