AMD’s Next Gen x86 High Performance Core is Code Named “Zen”

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Frontl1ne, Sep 11, 2014.

1. SCORPTEC

SCORPTEC Member

Hey nCrypt,

Got a reply from MSI today - not that it's super relevant to you anymore, but whatever. Figure I'll copy paste it here for anyone looking at purchasing an X370 Titanium as well

So BIOS update incoming to fix the 950 Pro issues. Probably works for other NVME based SSDs also.

2. TaroT

TaroT Member

please no more videos from...i really really don't like him and why release a video when it is just screen grabs and crap every single one i have seen of his has been this way.
    and no the launch should not of been held up.
    there is an issue getting motherboards and getting the bioses right...who cares suck it up buttercup i had to got through 3 bioses on the intel i had before i was happy with it and the ram worked nice...so what..it's new...get over it :)
    and as for new...these things are newer than new unlike intel's last few gens.

anyway rant over ;)
    as for the board Mr SGT sir what bios are you running i only found the 5704 which is so far running well but i, m iffy on overclocking on it or fiddling with the ram....what settings are you using?
    temp wise in hwinfo running real bench or cinebench never gets over 70 and if what thye are saying is right that means it is actually closer to 50? if that's the case woofreakinhoo :)

now back to business.
    played al little D3 yeah shut up i know not hardcore but hey :) fps at 4k pretty much the same as the 6700k but it was smoother especially with massive mobs, the intel used to have a bit of a stutter when 5 thousand little bastards started attacking this thing could not care less.

3dmark firestrike performance is down from the oc 6700k but not by much i will have to look at that more and also remember i am still running 2133 ram.

super pi is a bust :) but we all know that.
    cpuz bench though is amazeballs(single threaded came ver very close to my my oc 6700k and multithreaded just forget about it :p

might see how it goes in handbrake next or maybe a UT3 bench.

oh and PS when i first got it together i had the leggy super slow bios issue ended up being my webcam, it did not like the usb port i used...moved it and now back to normal(boots as fast as the intel did int bios and windows)

3. Ck21

Ck21 Member

yeah, d3 isnt a GPU bound monster, but a system bound monster. It does alot of on demand streaming, so your storage setup is extremely important.

I use to get major stutter, that wasnt reflected in the frame rates, but i solved it through putting the OS and D3 onto different SSD's vs having it on my giant games HDD.

Its the only game that ive come across where you could be sitting on minimum 100fps and stutter like mad.

4. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

You sir need to flash this BIOS here asap: http://www.mediafire.com/file/jh6j4v8ezuqzy1u/CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO-ASUS-0902.zip

In terms of 6700k vs Ryzen, I'm not seeing any real difference in my 3DMark scores apart from the combined test tbh, that was a little higher on the 6700k but overall Ryzen is faster and smoother for me :)

CPU-Z bench runs on code that Ryzen does extremely well with :p

5. taldoren

taldoren Member

When is the Gen 2 release :D.

Order will be placed today/tomorrow and just can't convince myself not to chase the performance option, only play in 4K now so any extra fps is required. Also I tend to play a few older titles that will have 0 chance to get optimisation just for Ryzen.

That and also looking at mATX form factor with a new Ti' and still not sure how long till decent small Ryzen MB's are really available with enough M.2 slots.

I am glad to see so many jumping over onto the new chips, and honestly hope AMD can get it all sorted for the next gen release and can provide decent competition across all the market segments.

Now to spend next few hours changing my mind over Node 840 - Air 240 (white) or S340...crap

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  6. TaroT

TaroT Member

i,ll look into that one i saw the 0902 bios on the Baymax site before the board launched but now removed...so bit skeptical :)

ok after some hunting seemed to have stumbled on a rog only Baymax page with the 0902 bios on it....what the hell

7. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

Here ya go: http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread/0_50

I know linking to another forum might be frowned upon but Elmor works for Asus R&D, he originally posted the 0902 BIOS there for everyone. go nuts :)

8. TaroT

TaroT Member

http://valid.x86.fr/3ztqjq

oh i found it
    scared the crap out of me when the bios screen was blank and something happening behind it but hey :)
    that result was 2 clicks of the bios
    cinebench to follow :)

cinebench was 1721 took some screens will load them later

realbench with ram at 2400
    not sure what the errors are got the same sort of error in cinebench opengl test

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/11991718

you would think but then why would it complete 3dmark(only 600 points off my 4.5 gig skylake by the way :)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  9. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

Re-install your GPU driver, that'd be the issue

10. TaroT

TaroT Member

yep that ked...weird again :)

11. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

12. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

13. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

I'll give RealBench a go in a bit, but cool to see how my system would have been with the Fury X (before I sold it).

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/11991718/fs/11968495

14. TaroT

TaroT Member

interesting i have you in physics by a thousand points at the same speed.

what speed was the ram running at?

15. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

2666, it's 2133 mem that I have overclocked.

16. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

17. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

Easy to get lost when the post count is high :p

18. TaroT

TaroT Member

weird that is 2666 vs 2400 and i still win :p
    maybe there is something different in the 1800x to the 1700 apart from straight speed.

anyway for shits and giggles i just installed windows 10 in a VM virtual box with 4 cores assigned and ran cinebench and still got 1544 with 2 browsers open as well...(oh this is at stock as well running ram at 2400)

not bad at all

19. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

Yeah nice, would the GPU have something to do with the physics score? seems odd, I'll have to run it again now lol

20. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member