AMD’s Next Gen x86 High Performance Core is Code Named “Zen”

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Frontl1ne, Sep 11, 2014.

1. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Hmm, well it's good and bad I'm afraid.

Gotnit all set up beautifully in the new case. Powered on and posted, got into bios to set the date and time, check through a few settings. Turned Windows 10 WHQL mode on, set boot order for USB Win10 stick. Boot to USB fine, start the install, first reboot happens, removed stick once it restarts and it posted okay, went to MSI logo, spinning windows loading icon thing... Preparing devices got to 100% and it rebooted and then it never posted again... :confused:

Left it for five or ten, no change, restarted, no change, BOOT LED lit up after its powered on. Tried shorting the CMOS pins, no change.

Unplugged and reset CMOS again, going to leave unplugged until tomorrow afternoon after work to see if anything changes..

Any ideas?

2. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

Tried pulling the drives out and seeing if it'll post then?

Not an M.2 drive is it?

3. taldoren

taldoren Member

It's interesting looking at the results from all the testing.

CCX - CCX has that extra latency as is known, however, I expect in some cases there is still a net positive gain using the extra cores on the 2nd CCX even with the extra latency.

The other part, is, what threads/processes are being thrown onto the second CCX ? I can see for example, that if a thread/process is sent to a core(s) on the second CCX that needs to do ALOT of intercommunication to the primary CCX/thread(s), then the performance hit will be much greater vs threads/processes that require very little communications with the primary CCX/thread(s).

Now does the same threads get sent to the second CCX each time ? If not, it could help explain some of the variances from test to test.

I kinda think this is what the Dev kits etc for the studios are going to help with, keeping highly talkative threads on 1 CCX (where the 8MB limit then may kick in) and offloading the lesser talkative threads to the 2nd CCX, where as said above, even though there is a performance hit on the CCX-CCX , there is still a overall performance gain with the extra cores.

Guess in the meantime all that can be done, is get memory working as fast as possible to help reduce the CCX-CCX latency.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  4. taldoren

taldoren Member

Did you check / update Bios before doing Windows install ?

5. TaroT

TaroT Member

yeah definitely need more ammo sammo.
    1:does it have an m2(as stated a trillion times seems m2 drives are an issue at the moment with msi boards not sure on the others?)
    2:have you tried isolation test only ram cpu and board nothing else plugged in.
    3: did you try kicking it...i find that helps me sometimes(wrecks the comp but hell i feel better)
    4:what kind of cooler have you got
    5:what kind of ram
    6: kind of lastish resort as i hate doing it have you tried pulling the cpu and putting it back in or booting without ram(weird things i know but in the past they have helped me out of weird spots)

now as for rottr i don't own that one so that's out for me. any other games?

6. sammy_b0i

Plain old 2.5" SATA SSD. Removed it, no change. Noticed that there's a tiny GPU_LED thing above the CPU socket that was lit. Tried removing the GPU, tried swapping GPU's, all the same result.

Cooler is a Noctua U14S
    Ram is 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200 C16 GTZB

So basically it starts up, fans all spin slowly, no LEDs on board, then the fans spin up, the boards LEDs come on, the fans slow down, the DIAG LED's (there are four - CPU, DRAM, VGA, BOOT) I think come on in sequence, and then it settles on BOOT. Once it flashed to VGA, then back to BOOT and just won't post from there.

I really, really, really don't want to take it all back out of the case, it's all set up perfectly and cable managed and everything.

Puled the VGA and the bios battery this morning before work. Will leave it for the day and see what happens.

AFAIK there is only one official 1.0 release on the website, but I have seen a 1.0C linked somewhere, and intended to flash it once it was all stable if it was necessary, but didn't want to risk a beta bios or a bad flash before I even got started.

7. TaroT

TaroT Member

ok rules out most things.
    what i am worried about is the back plate i mentioned somewhere earlier EK water blocks back plate had a n issue where is was actually bricking boards because of a rubber gasket or something...

if you are using the noctuas back plate are you absolutely sure it isn't touching the board in an inappropriate manner(please inform HR if so :) )

these are new boards with new designs and the location of parts on the back are probably different so companies may have missed something.

apart from that i have nothing sorry.

8. taldoren

taldoren Member

Pull the memory and see if you can get it to freak out on POST maybe.

How long have you left it trying to do whatever ? e.g 10/20 mins etc ?

9. sammy_b0i

the UxS AM4 mounting kit uses the standard AM4 backplate. You just take off the two clips on the front, with two screws each, and you put in plastic spacers and screw in the arms themselves. There's no change to the back of the board at all.

Haven't tried removing memory yet, will have to give it a go this afternoon I guess.

If I can't get any life out of it I'll have to remove from case and try on the bench, if nothing then, I guess.. RMA? :(

Left it for ten minutes the first time.

10. TaroT

TaroT Member

simply swapping memory slots can also kick a board into life done that before after power outages...stupid and weird but true :)

good luck with it though

11. dasa2

dasa2 Member

that's really weird
    and why such a large droop from the first run to the following i wonder
    usually performance improves on following runs due to files being preloaded into ram
    although i have seen some programs drop a bit with following runs (aida64) nothing like that

12. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

wish you were in melb man,

also windows 10 WHQL, never used it, only had issues with it. When i was troubleshooting my MSI X370 board they told me to turn that off.

does it get into bios with NO Ssd plugged in>?

unplug everything from the board except for CPU, GPU, 1 stick ram, and power connectors. (that means also unplug front USB and power/reset buttons)

use a screwdriver to short the power_Sw pins to get the PC too boot.

13. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

I had to reboot between each run, so they were from cold boot each time (changing SMT and cored through BIOS).

Was odd though, I would probably need to do 3 runs of each and average that, will do when I have some time.

14. sammy_b0i

Wonder if the Windows10 WHQL thing could be to blame?

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=277353.0

Not sure what it even does. Just figured that if I was going to use Windows 10, and use WHQL drivers, it'd be fine. Maybe the new stuff isn't on the WHQL list and something's gone wrong. Just have to try and get a bios reset and try again. Will do the removing ram, trying different slots. I've also got spare sticks of a different brand that I can try.

15. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

I've never used it mate, always brought me pain and slower boots when I have :/

16. sammy_b0i

I shouldn't have turned it on. Oh well. I'll get stuck back into it this afternoon and see if I can get any signs of life.

17. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

We live, we make mistakes and we learn.

Not even sure if that's the cause at this point either, I hope it is because really clearing CMOS should have reset it but we'll find out.

In other news, my Tridents have landed but I'm not home :upset:

18. sammy_b0i

If I leave the bios battery out of the socket and the power unplugged for eight hours, I'm expecting results. :o

19. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

I would be too, next step after that is to take it out of the case and see what happens there and that's always a pain.

20. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member