AMD’s Next Gen x86 High Performance Core is Code Named “Zen”

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Frontl1ne, Sep 11, 2014.

1. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

intel, of course, have never pulled a dick move on AMD
    that whole paying tier one manufacturers to not use AMD was super stylish, and a real feather in their cap moment :thumbup:

2. OJR

OJR Member

I wouldn't be surprised if we see an X399-WS or similar board from Asus.

3. MyReyes

MyReyes Member

4. OJR

OJR Member

The exact board we're talking about, and the same article a few posts up.

5. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

I'm looking forward to running Threadripper at the core of a ZFS server with 10GBe soon. :thumbup: If they could somehow cram it onto mATX I'd get it in my main rig, too. haha :leet:

I just wish Ryzen had more PCIe lanes (for things like dual M.2) :(

6. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

7. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Hrmmm so who is a super expert on CPU architecture or Linux kernel on here?

Is it likely that the bugs related to compiling with gcc on Ryzen are going to appear in EPYC and Threadripper given they are Zen cores or is it more likely to be something with the way the Linux kernel is handling certain instructions/calls?

https://community.amd.com/message/2812825#comment-2812825

8. PureFire

PureFire Member

Im not an expert but I think I read somewhere that Epyc and Threadripper are on the next revision of the Zen core, so it is likely that some problems are already fixed.

9. OJR

OJR Member

TTL reviews the Crosshair VI Extreme. The big boy is here!

Def getting this bad boy when it lands here.

10. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

They'll fix it for Linux. Can't afford that in workstation and server segments

11. Phido

Phido Member

It seems like high speed memory errors. Anything over 2666Mhz isn't officially supported. Intel only supports 2400Mhz DDR4 on Kaby lake Xeon.

Not just by AMD, by anyone. It would seem like an issue that would be fixed with microcode/bios. It appears to be a timing issue with cache. Pretty specific, depending on number of cores and SMT and other features.

3200Mhz memory still seems a little patchy.

Everything and Epyc will be 2666Mhz or slower JDEC spec. Threadripper looks like running both server and enthusiast memory specs.

There is a reason why you can't buy 3200Mhz ECC server memory.

Anyone doing anything mission critical or even serious work related should have ECC memory.

I hope so, Asus have been pretty supportive of AMD in the past with Opteron CPU's. It would be good to see a proper workstation board.

12. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

If that's the case then yeah agreed. Nobody runs outside of official settings for enterprise!!!

13. Mordenkainen

Mordenkainen Member

I vaguely remember a discussion thread somewhere, possibly phoronix.com, in the early stages pf this "problem" where the general feeling of most posters was that the people having problems seemed to all be overclockers.

I run a Gentoo variant, Funtoo, on my Ryzen R7 1700 system P-State O/Ced to 3.7GHz with 16GB DDR4 2400. I rebuilt everything with the latest GCC (7.1.0) available to me using the maximum threads to compile within the limits of 16GB of RAM and have had no problems whatsoever.

14. Bertross

Bertross Member

you do have a point in general as overclocking is a very small % in the scheme of things. Sort of like people owning awesome 34" LCDs and 1080ti etc... very small margin.

15. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

16. OJR

OJR Member

Awesome! screw-in socket retention mechanism. :thumbup:

17. PureFire

PureFire Member

That X399 board is hardware pr0n. Love it.

I also like the placement of the two 8pin power connectors.

18. Phido

Phido Member

The problem is most memory companies promote the hell out of higher speed. Slack off the timings and you are 4000MHZ11!! And because most people game, memory errors aren't that important, most games don't hit memory that hard. Which is why when people compile or something like that, that is when memory stability starts to fall over.

It looks like AMD has to tweak their memory performance.

I am not suprised, memory seems to be the last area of being a complete cowboy. I am totally over it. I won't be building *ANYTHING* without ECC ram. Intel or AMD.

19. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

i wonder if you will be able to run any 3200mhz kit out of the box on it unlike with ryzen where you need to purchase special and highly overpriced AMD memory to get those speeds, being quad channel I feel that memory will be even more picky on x399

20. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I haven't even played with Ryzen yet, but I was under the impression that the 'special' memory required is basically just anything with Samsung B dies. You've played with Ryzen, did you try it with Trident Z?

I'm getting the distinct impression from what I'm reading in this thread and others that overpriced 'AMD' memory is just a new branding of an old product, gouging people as usual with a higher price because it's 'special'.