AMD’s Next Gen x86 High Performance Core is Code Named “Zen”

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Frontl1ne, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

I'm sure X299 will lose a lot in resale value.

2. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

all It equipment is pretty much in the same boat here.

have you seen teh price some ryzen gear is going for in the forums here.

3. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Uhh... do you even read your own posts?

:confused:

4. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

Well when you put it that way... lol

5. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

But, but, but....it's all true! He can't be a hater if it's all true!!!

6. OJR

OJR Member

Wow, Village Idiot well and truly got owned in that post. Sammy, thanks for taking the time in making him look stupid.

7. lowdog

lowdog Member

LOFL spot on!!!!!

Ryzen/X370 3 months on with bios updates and I'm running 1800X @ 3.9GHz 1.312Volts REAL under load with 4 x 8GB mem @ 3333MHz 14-14-14-14-34 with tweaked/tightened sub timings perfectly fine now and it drops a steamer on my previous Intel setup. :p

8. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

all that is correct, amd rushed ryzen release to market t and as a consequence is a buggy ill planned launch of a product that was clearly not ready. AMD is losing financially which is possibly a reason why, and at the end of the day no one buys AMD for out right performance it has generally been a 2nd rate (performance wise) platform to intel that is lower priced for those on a budget.

I will call a spade a spade and I myself buy those budget AMD systems because of that they are budget -- cheap bang for ya buck -- but I don't confuse a budget 2nd tier system to a performance leader like Intel which charges accordingly for their clear market leading products. Ryzen is good for the money but even on release, it was a long way off the top performance which was still a x99 platform.and people buying ryzen were doing so for the only reason any one buys amd is it is good value for money.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  9. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

See guys? All of it was true. AMD is second rate for those who cannot afford to don the lube for Intel!

Trust me guys, he's been in the industry an awful long time and has even experienced first hand just how slow and buggy a Ryzen system really is when he built one.

10. OJR

OJR Member

Yup I always go to used car salesmen for IT advice.

11. asho444

asho444 Member

So the rushed launch buggy launch is different to x299 how?

What you seem to keep forgetting is that Ryzen is aimed at the Mainstream z270 Platform not the x99/x299 platform. in which case it smashes everything it has to offer other than gaming at 1080p.

another fault in your argument is that it is "Budget" but the platform you need to compare it is the HEDT not the main stream platform which means that Ryzen is punching well and truly above its weight.

12. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

The only CPU that beats Ryzen on Z270 is the 7700K, but look at the price/performance to Ryzen and AMD wins easily hands down.

The fact you can get a 6 core 12 thread CPU for under $300 is amazing. But somehow it being priced cheap is bad since Intel is a lot more expensive platform, so it must be a lot better right?

13. Bertross

Bertross Member

Dont talk common sense around these waters. Youll be blown out of the water.

14. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

x299 is not filled with bugs, the VRM thermal issue is because motherboard manufacturers went for aesthetics over function for the VRM heatsinks, but I agree the launch could have been handled better here as well but it is not intels fault entirely here like AMD.

again ryzen is a 2nd tier budget build you can say what you want it does not change the facts the performance crown is still with intel, you buy amd as you want a budget bang for ya buck system, I have never said differently AMD is good value for money just not the best performance

15. cbjaust

cbjaust Member

1740MHz = 3480MT/s Yes, I know. :p

16. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

But if multithreaded performance is what you need, and you don't want to piss money down the toilet you do buy AMD for out right performance.

Good value doesn't make a device a shitty 'budget' option. A 7700k is a much better value option for a gamer than a 7900x. Is the 7700k a 2nd tier budget device? No its a top tier high IPC/Clock speed gaming chip. It depends on the use case.

I don't know who in their right mind would buy an i5 right now over ryzen. To be honest the only CPUs from intel on z270 that make any sense to me are the cheapest pentium and the 7700k.

17. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

again that is my point you are buying AMD because it is good value for money not because it is a performance leader.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, but you need to call a spade a spade and recognise it for what it is -- a bang for ya buck product.

18. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

if one actually needs more cores for highly multi-threaded apps...what sort of an idiot would be paying for an intel platform that demonstrably is beaten by the amd offerings on price/performance basis ?

:p:rolleyes::Paranoid::lol::rolleyes:

the imminent mainstream coffeelake 6c/12t wont clock as high as the 7700k. id think most would be very lucky to get higher than 4.5ghz. more likely 4.2-3...so intel can take the piss on amd with their itty bitty ipc and mhz lead :lol:

imo

...plus the am4 platform will continue to develop.

i am however hopeful that amd stick with the am4 socket and bring out their improved chips as time goes by as they have indicated to the press....but thats a great money making strategy from intel to increase chipset sales by changing sockets as many times as possible :lol:

19. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

That might change as well when Ryzen 3 launches.

20. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

apparently there is at least one that frequents this thread :Pirate: