AMD’s Next Gen x86 High Performance Core is Code Named “Zen”

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Frontl1ne, Sep 11, 2014.

1. TaroT

TaroT Member

yes that is tdie so the actual reading i am living off add 27 degrees if you want tctl.
    also the taichi seems to be reading pretty close on the led which is kind of fun :)

have a look at some of the screenies that's as hot as she got AND remember i have not tuned the fans yet...so if i could bother putting up with a bit of noise i can drop that more.

2. TaroT

TaroT Member

clocks are in the screenie, but stock so 3.4(as if it ever sits on that(usually hovers between 3.6 and 3.7 and boost 4 up to 4.1 and a bit more.

3. Scarecow

Scarecow Member

have you tried pushing the memory to 3600mhz or higher?

4. KoiTech

KoiTech Member

ok guys i've just obtained a ryzen 1700 to go into an itx build. should i spend the $240 to get the 3200mhz 16gb ram from corsair or is the lower speeds ones ok? planning to do media encoding and games

5. Scarecow

Scarecow Member

you really want high speed ram with cl14 for ryzen, makes a huge difference in games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GhoYs2VDns

shows the difference it can make

6. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

+1 on the higher the better :thumbup:

7. TaroT

TaroT Member

no, as with ryzen i found low latency 3200 is where it starts petering out so i,ll stick with this for now(the flarex seems to happily do 3466 cl15 but not much of a boost)
    i,ll fiddle a little with timings and other things then overclock it but for now i,m happy, plus i want to compare the vega to the fury x now i have a bunch of numbers ;)

8. Deano_20802

Deano_20802 Member

I'm very keen to see some benchmark results from your setup TaroT :thumbup:

Anything single threaded is of particular interest if it's sitting at around 4.0GHz, I know it'll dominate MT applications :D

9. OJR

OJR Member

10. TaroT

TaroT Member

have a look in the vega thread i posted a few vega results :) and then look here for me vs hot hardware.

https://hothardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-vega-gpu-review?page=3

mine is all dead stock and vega running balanced.

now as for single threaded is till think it may be weak but give me some things to try(also remember for now all stock)

11. Deano_20802

Deano_20802 Member

I just had a quick look mate :)

If you happen to run CPU-Z benchmark and / or Cinibench R15 I'd be stoked to see both the single core results. Yes some reviewers have done it, but I'm more interested in users on here and the rest of their setups.

Cheers.

12. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

that link has the intel CPU beating the TR in 8 our of 9 benchmarks so intel is still the superiour product as both are 16 core parts the intel has the clock speed and IPC advantage still, I dont see your point.

Also that is still not their top chip wait until the 18 core part is tested vs TR

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  13. trippinonprozac

trippinonprozac Member

I agree with what you are saying in general and most won't dispute it either. The thing is, the TR is almost as quick on all counts and coats an absolute bucket less...

14. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

I think the point being made is that there no massive IPC difference as previously put forward - specifically intel being 25% higher

15. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

there is a 5-9% IPC difference clock for clock depending on the specific application. and on top of that, the intel CPUs clock higher generally which magnifies the IPC differences.

Click to view full size!

that is @ 4.8ghz so only 700mhz ahead of a 1800x @ stock speeds single threaded XFR and that is stock Intel TIM on that CPU and still smashing Ryzen in the clocks, as the 1800x does not go really much beyond 4100mhz.

16. dr_deathy

dr_deathy Member

So dont buy a TR?

Its like ford guys hanging around Just Commodores lol.

17. Deano_20802

Deano_20802 Member

Exactly, people should just buy the CPU and platform that suits their needs and not keep crapping on about what's "better".

18. SiriusDragon

SiriusDragon Member

At least with TR you know every PCIe slot and RAM slot will work regardless of which TR CPU you plug in - even the 1900X :thumbup:

I'm interested in X299 from an overclocking perspective, but it's hard to argue it's good value. A ~5% IPC difference to TR really doesn't justify the price premium Intel wants.

19. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

yes but you do lose half your cores when you switch to game mode.

20. Phido

Phido Member

So you guys are arguing about which is the best gaming CPU, a $1000 i9 or a $1000 Threadripper.

Both of which are beaten by <$400 CPU's on a cheaper platform from each of their own respective companies. Intel i9 is slightly better in games than threadripper, therefore it is better? Even though both get more than acceptable performance in games, and games are much more limited by your graphics card than your CPU?

Despite the fact that you are talking about <5% difference in gaming, which has no effect on the enjoy ability or play ability of games at this level.

Yet, not one benchmark is released regarding ECC memory. Or you know a proper workstation review of either platform.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017