AMD’s Next Gen x86 High Performance Core is Code Named “Zen”

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Frontl1ne, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Deano_20802

Deano_20802 Member

The PCIe lane and price combo is so hard to go past for such a small IPC difference moving forwards. Pure clock speed is slowly becoming less important and I'm looking at coming years for TR.

Who's buying a new high end PC today to play the last few years games anyway? Isn't that what last gen i5 / i7 options are for? That's what I'm using for all my older gaming needs.

Ryzen or i5 / i7 is still what I'd be looking at for most people for most uses.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  2. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

Thanks guys, I saw the b350 but am a little burned out by my gigabyte itx board at the moment as have a couple of friends with their itx builds, so I'll lean towards the Asrock I think.

It's a shame as I quite like atx gigabyte boards but the common complaint I keep hearing and have experienced is their lack of support 6months after launch for anything not flying off the shelves.

3. TaroT

TaroT Member

sure
    https://valid.x86.fr/w7y9lg

and again please note this is dead stock(so around 30 points less single threaded than my 3.9 1800x)
    i,ll do another cinebench in a sec...also remember i am running that now while downloading files checking email 4 IE tabs opened etc this is as usery as you get :p

here you go
    i would say about 10 points off my best with the 1800x at 3.9 (so still nowhere near intel but then who cares who is running this app single threaded :) )

[​IMG]

4. TaroT

TaroT Member

yes you do for a little latency benefit but so far i see no point in doing that.....read what i wrote read my benches vs the hot shit 7900x...it is not beating me...period in games.
    need more proof happy to provide it :)

5. trippinonprozac

trippinonprozac Member

I may own both 7900x and 1950x at the same time next week so happy to run them along side each other for comparison.

6. Deano_20802

Deano_20802 Member

No worries there mate, it's those sort of tests and configurations I'm looking for :thumbup:

That'd be excellent :D

7. TaroT

TaroT Member

if you do for the sake of the stock punters set them both up like mine stock no tweaks just xmp...then tweak the crap out of both :)

oh and ignore useless single threaded apps go for older games or programs that people actually use9much fairer i think.

8. trippinonprozac

trippinonprozac Member

Haha yeah will do. Happy to capture some stock with xmp benches tonight on the x299 setup if you like. I have no bias over either platform so I won't see anything.

9. Deano_20802

Deano_20802 Member

Perfect, I know it's below Intel offerings but that's irrelevant, I was just after a number in a common app for current and future comparisons. Cheers :thumbup:

Perfect. I use heaps of gear from all the major players and use what's best for the need at the time.

Although I prefer AMD / AMD I own far more Intel and nVidia including G-Sync (and have for years now) due to them generally offering better products for my needs at the time.

I love benching and comparing though haha :D

10. OJR

OJR Member

The TR CPU is also clocked 100mhz lower. So that massive IPC advantage he and Partha continually bang on about is non existant.

11. Bertross

Bertross Member

No one cares about gaming results. Just bang a 1080ti in the damn PC and call it a day. If you care about Gaming results go back to a 7700k on a 1080p lcd. :thumbup:

Seriously no one gives two rats.

12. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

I would love to be able to justify the exorbitance that is the TR4 platform to myself but I just cant (have tried).

I have a couple Ryzens, you just cant beat the price/performance ratio that is an R7 1700 coupled with a B350 board. A solid 3.8-3.9 8c16t, cool, quiet and more than enough performance for the typical gamer (happy as long as it's over 60fps), with performance outside of games a pleasure to use and abuse.

An example is an 1800X with an Asrock Taichi board vs 1700 with an Asrock Pro4, $540 vs >$900 for negligible difference in performance, unless you are after specific motherboard features or want the higher default clocks or possibly better binning for that extra 2-3%/100mhz...

Money that would be better spent on 3200Mhz ram, which again my Pro4 handles my d-die at 3200Mhz just as well as my Taichi.

13. OJR

OJR Member

14. Bertross

Bertross Member

you'll be needing those tissues when you open the box :p:D:wired:

15. SiriusDragon

SiriusDragon Member

Software setting though.

Unfortunately PCIe lanes or memory channels can't be added by software, nor can TIM be fixed via a software update :)

Also there's always the 1900X which shouldn't have any trouble with the programs that don't like high core/thread counts.

16. OJR

OJR Member

That's what I thought as well but being TR, it will be made of 2x Ryzen dies with 4 cores per die enabled. So in game mode, yes you will still lose half your cores.

17. Bertross

Bertross Member

Id argue you wont ever need game mode?

18. dr_deathy

dr_deathy Member

For now. Not all of us upgrade as often as intel and amd want us to.

Funny how there is a who is still rockung a q6600 thread when the same people argued the e8400 was way better in the years gone by.

19. trippinonprozac

trippinonprozac Member

From what I have seen I would agree.

Unless you are gaming at 1080p I see no point.. Who games at 1080p on a system like this anyway.

20. Scarecow

Scarecow Member

nm I cant read