AMD’s Next Gen x86 High Performance Core is Code Named “Zen”

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Frontl1ne, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

ctrl/scroll wheel, zoom in :) .. or, click on the actual links that came up in your reply, to get the image instead of the forum thumb. Or, right click and view the image.. in Chrome that would be 'open image in new tab'

single thread 446.1
    multi thread 9401.2

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  2. TaroT

TaroT Member

3. trippinonprozac

trippinonprozac Member

Thanks mate! Pretty similar clock for clock then!

4. trippinonprozac

trippinonprozac Member

The only questions I have really is how high will these chips regularly clock with proper cooling. Look forward to seeing some results under the EK blocks.

5. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

6. Phido

Phido Member

I would assume it would fit all the mITX boards. Pretty cool if it does. That is where I see a cooler like that being very useful (if expensive). I think $89 is a bit much, I hope they drop in price.

Looks very simular to my AM3 cooler I got with my Phenom X6 1090t.

7. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Woah, that's a bit exxy isn't it? Surely a top down cooler from Noctua/Phanteks/Cryorig etc would perform better for less money?

I guess you pay extra for RGB :p In that case it should also be far cheaper picking up an unused Wraith Spire RGB from someone that got a 1700. Although it probably won't perform as well.

8. trippinonprozac

trippinonprozac Member

Anyone else get their TR gear yet?? Slow adoption?

9. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

I think it's due to the fact the cpu's are over 1k. That's one advantage X299 has over TR at the moment, is that you can get the 7800X for $520, so it's cheaper entry to HEDT. That will change when the 1900X comes out.

10. OJR

OJR Member

I reckon the 1900X will be a hard sell as well. Unless you have a very specific need for the PCI-E lanes, the 1700 is a much better buy.

I was going to go down that path but in the end I just needed an extra M.2 slot. So back to Ryzen 7 I went.

11. Scarecow

Scarecow Member

If the 1900x shows to have 4.1ghz clocks really easy you will see people jump on that or a possible 1900

12. PureFire

PureFire Member

Google translate of Computerbase.de reviewing the new Noctua cooler for TR.

Im impressed with what it achieved compared to a 360 AIO.

HardOCP also tested an XSPC full block prototype with the 1950X at 4Ghz.

Crazy workload with three 4k video encodes at once. Also that power draw o_0

13. Phido

Phido Member

You really are paying top dollar for x399 stuff at the moment.

When the 8 core and non-x parts arrive, most likely with a small discount in motherboards, you could be paying a lot less and it will be a lot more reasonable for most people. If the non-X processors ship with cooling (which is likely) that saves even more money.

Local x399 prices were insane, $1400 for a mobo ffs. They have already fallen from the high pre-order prices.

14. OJR

OJR Member

It was never $1400 for a mobo. PCCG tried to gouge the Zenith at $1079 on launch but that was the highest any mobo reached.

15. trippinonprozac

trippinonprozac Member

Where did you see 1400 on a mobo ?? Haha

16. Phido

Phido Member

Quick trip to staticice reveals you too can pre-order the x399 gaming for only $1,299. Today. Pre-order. MSI Gaming.

http://www.digitalstar.com.au/msi-x...4-way-sli-cf-usb-3-1-tr4-atx-motherboard.html

Preorder madness. It was then I made the decision to wait. I would rather completely pimp out my car or put in a pool rather than blow $5k on what will be <$2k system in 12 months. Or buy a 1700 mitx system for less than a mobo.

17. Unframed

Unframed Member

Yeah no.
    That's some shit retailer price gouging.

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/39912/msi-x399-gaming-pro-carbon-ac-motherboard

18. Phido

Phido Member

Well people get caught up in the moment. Ryzen was a great launch, so when people heard about Threadripper they got very excited. TR4 was a risky platform so Asus/MSI/Asrock/Gigabyte weren't going to risk it all on another high end AMD socket by over supplying the market. I don't know how many dual C32 boards Asus made, but I doubt it was a very profitable venture for them.

I still think $600 aud is too much. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some boards about the $400 aud price point. How can one of the cheapest X399 boards be an Asus ATX-E board. But even at $600 the X399 platform is selling out and volume is still tight.

The Tachi x399 is pretty much on backorder everywhere, even in the US. Apparently the most sold X399 platform is the only one without gaming in its name. The Tachi is an ok board, but it is still pricey. Compare the Tachi on AM4, its double the price of the more basic AM4 boards, which still feature all the core features.

There is now a bit of competition going on to get a mobo+ CPU(1920x) under $1000 USD price points. Then it will be Mobo + CPU + Cooler under $1000.

AMD is going to capitalize on this with making only the high end CPU's (x series) available first. IMO the price performance is weak here for AMD. AMD is directly trying to compete against high end intel CPU's where intel still has a IPC advantage and a clock advantage.

Now that threadrippers benchies are out, we know its strongest suit isn't gaming. It content creation. Hype is calming down.

Once all the hype and frenzy has died down about both x299 and X399, AMD will ramp up the pressure.

AMD has built the ryzen lineup to be able to fight on price. AMD has always slid the prices down to keep volume up. It is very important particularly with this first generation of AM4/TR4/SR4 that they do that to get a nice big fat install base. There is no reason why AMD can't release a 16 core Threadripper at $600 usd (matching the price per core and clocks of the existing 1700).

19. OJR

OJR Member

Digital star? Surely nobody shops there. Anyone who pays $1299 for an MSI board has shit for brains.

20. nope

nope Member

[​IMG]

Now we play the AusPost Waiting game tm

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017