AMD’s Next Gen x86 High Performance Core is Code Named “Zen”

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Frontl1ne, Sep 11, 2014.

1. OJR

OJR Member

1920X minimum for you then. :thumbup:

2. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

only have to wait two months after launch * probably more until the boards intergrate the bios updates.

ill believe it when I see it and I may even consider a TR

edit: nope $729 for a 1900x

lol

tell em there dreaming. Like Vega it needs to be about $100 cheaper to be considered.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  3. Phido

Phido Member

I think non-x 1920 and 1950 processors are going to be more compelling..

If you could get a 1920 for ~$700 AUD then that would be compelling. The 1920 is already supported in current x399 mobo bios's. Even at 3.2/3.8 ghz

No one is going to have anything competitive at that price point. You get 50% more cores over a 1800/1900 and with overclocking, its likely to close that gap in single thread performance. Multithread you will still win out over every 8 core cpu. There is value there.

But $800 for a CPU that is sort of as fast as your $500 cpu, and has performance reachable by a $400 CPU makes it seem inflated.

4. OJR

OJR Member

I am actually agreeing with you for once.

5. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

This.

Also something really disappointing about the 1900X is that it only has 16MB L3 cache compared to the 32mb in the 1920X and 1950X.

This might not sound like a big deal but it does give TR4 the edge in a few things when compared to AM4.

6. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

Also I guess this must mean the 1900X is the 4:0+4:0 configuration, essentially making it 2 x R5 1400's and not 2 x R5 1500X's?

On that point, does that mean the R5 1400 is 4:0 whereas the R5 1500X is 2:2?

Just based off listed cache in cpu specs.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-1400

http://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-1500x

edit: apparently not.... http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-ryzen-5-cores-are-disabled-in-symmetrical-pairs_192827

hmm.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  7. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

the 1900x has 36mb total cache 32mb L2

its a 2+2+2+2 configuration.

8. Scarecow

Scarecow Member

Its a 2 (2+2) set up, TR only has two active dies

9. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

The 1900X has 16MB of L3 cache, 20MB in total.

It has a 4-0-4-0 core configuration.

Tomato sauce:

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900X Processor (AMD.com)

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900X Core Configuration Detailed (TechPowerUp.com)

IMO it's a little expensive, and does not warrant the cost over a 1700 for most users, but then again nor do the 1700X/1800X. Seeing as the 1800X is only some US$120 cheaper on the street (US$50 cheaper at launch prices), and the 1900X is basically that chip in CPU performance but with all the HEDT bells and whistles (this ain't no 7740X), it's not that bad, but it would be awesome to see it even cheaper in a few months.

It does have its place. The best use case scenario is going to be a user with the need for lots of PCIe lanes (eg multi-GPU accelerated work, big storage arrays etc), perhaps a need for more memory bandwidth, but they don't have a great need for more than 8 cores/16 threads. Pretty niche, I know, but it will suit some people. If nothing else it does lower the entry price into the TR4 platform, which is still a tad high so lets hope the 1900 without the eXpensive SKU comes some day soon to lower it further.

It should cost a similar amount of money to an 8 core x299 build, maybe even cheaper with the potential for a slightly lower wattage PSU and cheaper cooler, with technically more "features" included such as double the PCIe lanes and free NVMe RAID when it comes (as it should be). It won't be a hugely noticeable amount behind the 7820X in performance, so provides some competition depending on if raw CPU performance or overall motherboard I/O and platform value is more important. Let's also not forget what Intel had to do to their HEDT 8 core, cut down the PCIe lanes and cut the price by 40%+ in one generational step. Safe to say we can attribute much of that massive price drop to the R7 and TR4 chips :)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  10. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Niche sku. If you don't require the platform features then R7 is your friend

11. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

ouch that makes it even worse should have had 2 x cores per ccx active and access to teh full cache on there.

no way is it worth what they are asking I agree that the 8 core x299 build will be the same price and better in almost any meaningful way.

12. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Not really what I said though :rolleyes: The 7820X is almost certainly going to be the faster chip for CPU intensive tasks overall, and with more expensive cooling can no doubt clock up much higher too making it even better in single and multithreaded performance. But it doesn't really beat it in every meaningful way does it. Unless the only meaningful thing about a computer to you is raw CPU performance.

For a start the 1900X slightly undercuts the 7820X in the cost of the chip itself. The potential for a teeny bit less money to be spent on cooling/PSU is there as it will be much more efficient and cooler in general (thanks solder!). With free NVMe RAID 0/1/10 on its way soon there is a potential US$99 saving should that be a feature you need.
    It also gives you access to the full 64 PCIe lanes that the 1920X/1950X have, so if you are running say 7 high end GPU's for machine learning/scientific research etc then that will come in handy. Other advantages exist such as ECC memory support up to 1TB, although nobody will be getting that much RAM with a 1900X :p

Furthermore the 7820X isn't exactly cache heavy either, with only 19MB in total, 11MB being L3. I honestly don't see the huge clear cut advantage to going x299 for many use case scenarios. If you do need the NVMe RAID, or you do want more PCIe lanes, then you will have to pony up the additional US$600 or so for a 7900X, VROC key, 100W in PSU/cooling capacity, all told quite a bit of money if you don't really plan to make use of the extra CPU performance. For some the 1900X sits in a good spot between the 1800X and the 1920X/7900X, it just depends on what you want from it.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  13. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

interesting.

arent these chips supposed to just be hedt? :lol:

'some people' will pay extra just to be king of the hill even though they will rarely if ever be utilizing the cpu to its full potential.

14. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

That they will...although what they will do and what they should do based on their actual requirements are two different things :)

15. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

those same people probably use it 80% of the time to post on forums too :lol:

16. TaroT

TaroT Member

https://www.ple.com.au/Products/629...0X-38Ghz-8-Core-20MB-sTR4-Retail-Box---No-Fan

exact same price as a 7820x which is a bit of an issue when you add the premium for the motherboard SO it would want to be able to keep up and i,m not sure it will.
    i do see on the same site the 7900x has dropped another 50 bucks just as the threadripper dropped to 1399...oh intel...you done it again :)

and i still think the 1920x is abetter buy than the 7900x and that's 250 cheaper.
    but hey i, m 1000% biased :)
    as for use i, m probably *that* guy that does not utilise it as much as i could but again with the boosts in handbrake i get it saves me oodles of time and i, m sure i can do a few more interesting things to do now.

what is a bit of an issue is why there are no benches of the 1900x it is for sale someone must have got one but damned if i can find anything...which rolls back to point 1 i don't think it will be that good.

17. PureFire

PureFire Member

I was expecting some benchmarks for the 1900X on day 1, but reviewers said they weren't sent any samples. Hardware Unboxed mentioned there will be a review when their retail purchase has arrived next week.

In terms of CPU usage Ive been smashing it the last week or so with 30+ hour 3D renders which would be reduced to less than 15 if I had a 1950X. Thats insane to think about.

At the moment I think I will probably settle with an Asrock Taichi mobo but unsure what cooler without seeing the new versions of AIO coolers. Apparently the Noctua HSF with two 14mm fans keeps up with a 4Ghz clock without a problem, so that could be an option. I did custom watercooling for years and Im sick of the hassle so don't think I will go that route.

18. TaroT

TaroT Member

well i think for the 1900x the current AIO astek ones might actually do.
    i have gone back to 3900 this week as it is a bit cooler but in all honesty 3900 vs stock there isn't much of a difference to me...i won't bother with 4.1 or so till i can work out good cooling.

as for this friggen 1900x...someone anyone actually review it so i can stop listening to its this its that it will be shit because....just grab one and run you cheap reviewers :p

as for pricing yeah its dearer but you are paying for the platform so if the platform is not what you need....then go grab a 1700 and beat the crap out of it :)

as for mobos i am loving my taichi with zero issues, enermax is releasing a full cover aio

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11707...ryzen-threadripper-100-ihs-coverage-500-w-tdp

still can't find one or a review so yeah :)

19. AviPC

AviPC Member

need some help

guys,
    i was planning for Test LAB workstation and decided to give a shot to new AMD 1700 but not able to find any motherboard with 8 RAM slots. with its dual channel support is it only going to support max 16GB x 4 ?

20. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

Sounds like X399 is more your style if you're after max memory capacity.