AMD’s Next Gen x86 High Performance Core is Code Named “Zen”

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Frontl1ne, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

I made no comparison to intel at all -- stated a simple fact that has been true for many many years -- AMD based laptops have been the budget low-end options for many many years. -- a fact that probably wont change anytime soon.

just like you were wrong about 10 core TR CPUS your wrong here as well.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  2. Apokalipse

Apokalipse Member

That is 100% an attempted comparison to Intel.

adamsleath likes this.
  3. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

Built a 1700 system for a mate this past weekend, 3.9 all core OC at stock voltage running 16GB dominators @2933 paired with his founders 1080. He replaced his i5 3570, bloody beast of a PC.

I'm really surprised to have got 3.9Ghz without raising voltages on the ASRock B350 extreme 4.

4. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

This is actually plain incorrect, even without the presense of Ryzen mobile.

There were numerous Midrange (at least) designs with Bristol Ridge. The problem In fact was the opposite - The APU wasn't powerful enough to be at home in these designs.

If you'd said there were more lower end models than higher end, then sure.

As it stands for Ryzen though, The only announced launch design wins for Ryzen mobile are all $1000AU + chassis:

Lenovo 720S
    Acer Swift 3
    HP Envy x360

Of course, you're going to say $1000+ laptops are "budget low-end".

This is a bit of a two staged launch though. Higher and lower models from these and Dell, ASUS etc will come next year. I'm guessing with some new SKU announcments at CES

5. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

the "mid range" laptops you suggest were rubbish and did not sell and were not worth buying--- worse than low end rubbish if you ask me at least with a $300 AMD laptop you know what to expect (not much!)

again we will see how they go when they are actually released-- they could also be overpriced rubbish. I can tell you right now there is exactly zero cahnce id buy a $1000+ amd laptop -- again that stink of past failures will be VERY hard to wash off and I doubt many consumers will alos take a gamble on a $1000+++ AMD laptop.

Also even though $1000 is a lot of money it is still low-middle range in laptops.

6. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

TO be honest there's a lot of overpriced rubbish in the notebook segment in general - it's a whole different argument.

With (far) less chassis to choose from than Intel , that doesn't leave much room for a gem in the lineup.

I do agree we will have to wait and see.. Can't really predict how OEMs will implement them, but your argument that there'll be no difference from previous platforms hasn't got much basis.. This is the first truly competitive mobile platform since Pentium M.. i.e in 15 yrs. It will come down to marketing, and OEM relations.. really can't comment until the models start rolling out and getting reviewd.

7. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

anyway this announcement just killed the mobile zen before it was even released

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1200...with-amd-radeon-graphics-with-hbm2-using-emib

https://techcrunch.com/2017/11/06/i...n-graphics-and-cpu-combo-to-challenge-nvidia/

AMD must be really hurting for cash competing against themselves.

INtel CPU + AMD graphics kind of makes it pointless looking at RR now.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  8. Phido

Phido Member

IMO best value for laptops are in the $700-$1500 range.

I've been trending down to smaller and cheaper laptops without dedicated graphics. I paid ~$700 for a dell 11" with a i3 6200u, 128Gb SSD, 4Gb, IPS touch screen. Its decent and good value at $700. 8hr+ battery life and ultrabook thin.

AMD hopefully can put together something better, with better battery life, faster graphics, equiv IPC performance. Ryzen mobile looks like being able to do that. They will first appear in the $1500+ notebooks, but AMD prices fall pretty quick.

AMD teaming up with intel to create better mobile products.

x86 market is very squished right now. I can see the day that Amd and Intel put out a combined product in some sections.
    As much as it appears Intel and AMD are against each other, the biggest threat is things other than themselves.

9. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

Looks like Fudzilla was mostly on point. This replaces Iris and will be priced accordingly, around $500-600 USD iirc. The G series intels are not going for the low to mid range like RR, these are going in macbooks and top end business laptops.

10. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

according to some here that is making a 100% comparison to so what your saying to be clear -- is AMD will be targeting teh low endt with RR and leaving the high-end for intel parts.-- I fully agree with your assessment if I have read it correctly.

11. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Completly different market and chassis segment. These will be 45w+ total tdp, and target both midrange gaming / proffesional / macbook pro market.

12. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

intels announcement video showed it being used (CGI) in an ultra thin ultrabook chassis, maybe someone forgot to tell the marketing team that it isnt for that chassis.

13. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

I never said anything about chassis thinness. By class I was refering to TDP.

It's very unlikely there will be any 15w variants of this.

14. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

they generally go and h in hand though

you generally dont get teh cooling performance needed for a 45w part in an ultrabook chassis.

15. Commie_Mike

Commie_Mike Member

What are you smoking? This is win-win for AMD. If nothing else they can still offer up their budget alternatives like they always have and have a slice of the Intel market.

16. Phido

Phido Member

IMO the Intel + AMD could be used in some larger thin laptops. Think things like surface books/apple pros.
    Imagine a 13-17" laptop.. 4k+ resolution. Decent graphics power but with better battery life.

Shooting in the $2000-$3000 range.

17. RnR

RnR Member

Vaio Canvas Z - 47W quad core part together with Iris gpu in a 12.3" tablet form factor. Nice set of fans...

https://us.vaio.com/skin/frontend/vaio/default/img/vaio-pdp-canvas-precision-slide-02-z-engine.jpg

Didn't do so well in the market though, and now discontinued. Nice portable dev box though.

18. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Not these days.. It's been stated in the press releases already, this is aimed at very high-end of the market $1300 , where expensive cutting edge cooling solutions can be
    Employed. Apple is the obvious target here.

On that note though, I think one should step back a bit before arguging over this aspect too much..

The main advantages over a traditional dCPU dGPU setup are the elegance of a single package solution, and the assoicated power management benefits that brings for Idle scenarios. Load perf/watt, and footprint (compared to discrete vega) advantage is minimal, since it seems they're not actually using EMIB for CPU-GPU connection.

19. Phido

Phido Member

Sony left a lot of markets, but often others have taken their ideas and run with them.

A 13" tablet with 4k screen and a powerful GPU/CPU combo has a market for content creators and the like.
    The AMD/Intel solution is very space efficient.

Reading the reviews of the Vaio canvas, it sounds like it just needed more grunt. better packaging. The idea is to give x86 plenty of grunt.

Microsoft and others is going to release a bunch of arm based laptops in q4. Its expected that these might just kill x86 on the low end. Particularly as they will be able to run 32bit x86 software out of the box. Which is most commercially deployed software.

AMD and Intel are pretty worried.

20. mAJORD

mAJORD Member