1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

AMD’s Next Gen x86 High Performance Core is Code Named “Zen”

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Frontl1ne, Sep 11, 2014.

1. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

I've noticed the price drops of X CPU's particularly the 1700X, 1800X TR4 1900X etc, but nothing seems to have come through yet for non-X variants, for example the 1700.

Can anyone shed some light?

2. TaroT

TaroT Member

yes new zen is coming they are starting to clean house :)
    also makes more sense the 1900x is 100 more than the 1800x being a HEDRT part and the 1800x will be down under a 8700k. which makes it the competitor.

3. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

No idea. The R5 1600 dropped in price by $10 here.

4. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

The announcement wasn't that long ago, they'll want to clear stock they paid more for before lowering their prices too much.

5. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

lolzerszzz zen + 2600 only get a 200mhz clock speed increase

looks like the king of the hill wont be changing any time soon.

6. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Wow, I never realised that "engineering sample" = "full retail product", you colossal douche canoe.

tunksy and Unframed like this.
  7. Apokalipse

Apokalipse Member

Even if it only does get a 200MHz increase and nothing else, it's not as if Intel has been making significant leaps in performance from generation to generation. So, you know, glass houses.

8. OJR

OJR Member

Notice how the numpty was quiet during the whole Intel meltdown/spectre thing, now that the dust has settled, he is trolling again? What a shit human.

museumman likes this.
  9. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

200mhz could very well be correct, remember it's not the X model. Currently there's a 400mhz gap in base and turbo clocks between 1600 and 1600X. Again AMD is claiming "double digit" performance increase so at least 10% this could mean 200mhz + cache improvements + memory support get's them there as a worst case. Or they have even larger clockspeed gaps in the X series plus improvements mentioned earlier and they still hit target.

My gut is that this is all to do with segmentation, they didn't sell as many X chips because the value was in 1600 and 1700 vanilla models which cost them more in terms of cooler, packaging and shipping weight. So give them a mild bump and a more significant increase on the more eXpensive/higher margin CPUs.

10. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

the leakes this close to launch previously have been pretty accurate, so I dont doubt these will be accurate as we are very close to the thing actually launching.

I was commenting about that in relevant threads at the time.

11. Apokalipse

Apokalipse Member

Global Foundries said their 12nm process will have a 10% performance improvement.
    There may or may not be additional improvements as far as architecture goes. I'm currently expecting nothing, and if it's more than nothing that would just be a bonus on top of the clock speeds.
    But I think the main architecture improvements will come in Zen v2, rather than Zen+

12. dragonFLAME

dragonFLAME Member

Think of Zen+ as a V2.0 product. All of the ram issues and low overclocks been ironed out. I expect the 1600/1700 replacement to be a baller chip. 4.5 overclocks here we come.

The major performance boost will be from Zen2 next year which will include the IPC improvements and whatever they can squeeze in.

Cheers

13. dr_deathy

dr_deathy Member

The king losing
    If amd get 10% more and intel lose 30% because they are shit.... Intel somehow are still the king? I think someone thinks intels lead is much bigger then it is.

14. Commie_Mike

Commie_Mike Member

Ryzen 5 1600X passmark single threaded performance:
    + 200 mhz of performance
    (1972 / 3.6) * 3.8 = 2081

I5 8600K passmark single threaded performance:
    assuming a 20 % performance hit
    0.8 * 2526 = 2020

and the ryzen already shits all over the coffelake i5 because intel likes to charge a premium for hyper-threading :lol:

15. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

Devils advocate here, 30% was on very specific IO tasks, average deficit is around 5%. AMD's fix is still expected to cost a couple of percentage point in performance as well.

The improvements here are functionally bulldozer to piledriver. Bulldozer was shit panned by reviews, piledriver came in with higher clocks and slight memory and cache improvements and most reviews actually called it a good processor for heavy thread use cases particularly at the price.

2019 (zen2 ryzen3) is 7nm, higher clocks, more cores and architectural changes. Proper architecure change is 2020-2021 with Zen3.

16. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

its not a 20% performance hit

also AMD is not immune to the performance degradation either

17. dr_deathy

dr_deathy Member

Not just heaps more resistant and immune to the fix that causes the biggest performance hit which only effects intel and OLD AMD cpus.

Intel cop the same performance hit AMD does plus a much bigger one, not sure how you can make this an ok thing for intel.

18. Apokalipse

Apokalipse Member

Even old AMD CPU's are immune to Meltdown. They don't need Kernel Page Table Isolation, period.

19. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

whos saying this is an "ok" thing for intel, I am merely stating the facts that AMD is not immune to the performance hit for the fix.

20. Apokalipse

Apokalipse Member

They 100% do not need Kernel Page Table Isolation, because they are not affected by Meltdown.