1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

AMD’s Next Gen x86 High Performance Core is Code Named “Zen”

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Frontl1ne, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Apokalipse

Apokalipse Member

IPC is still negligible. Clock speeds is 90% of the difference.

Anyway, most games are not CPU bottlenecked unless you run at low resolutions. Which you wouldn't do, if you're looking at CPU's such as the 1800X or 8700K.
    The things that are CPU bottlenecked are more likely to use the 8 cores of the Ryzen.

It is a silly thing to do, yes.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  2. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

A few things with the assasins creed origins gaming benchmarks. First testing has shown the a 4core/4thread is just simply not good enough, 7600k despite higher clocks is slower than a ryzen 1600x. Also Assasins creed origins still has a dominent (probably dx11 draw call) thread that always pegs 99-100% cpu usage on both 8700k and 1800x. Refer this video for per core break down this is why the 8600k (which is maxed out on all cores but just keeps up) and the 8700k win, higher clock speed as there's still a bottleneck of that thread. Also note 8600k is already maxed out on this title, and a future games that thread better again (eg uses vulkan or dx12 instead of dx11) will start to favour a 1700/1800x etc over the 8400 and 8600k. This does raise the obvious point that scaling for cores is hard, games are getting better at it but getting scaling to say 16 threads is going to be slow especially while dx11 is still commonly used. As pointed out already higher clock speed will keep the 8700k (the only intel cpu worth buying imo) a good buy for a cpu that has room to grow with future games if you don't mind the high price. Personally I'd rather spend the extra $200-$250 over a ryzen 1600/1700 on a better GPU.

3. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

Not just that, but the fact that upcoming Ryzen+ CPU's will work on current AM4 mobos. What's to say how long the lifespan of Z370 is? Z270 was dead in less than a year.

4. asho444

asho444 Member

snoop wiggles nailed it, i had a near 2k budget
    if i went intel i could fit a 1070
    with ryzen i could fit a 1080

5. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

incorrect i cant understand how you cant wrap your head around people wanting to future proof their systems as generally you will upgrade the gpu during the lifetime of the rest of the system at leasrt once

lower resolution test will show how well your cpu will keep up with faster gpus's and are totally relevant -- do I need to bring up how the bulldozer CPUS vs the i7 at the time have aged.

today bulldozer is crap and a big bottle neck whilst a 2600k can still be used with a 1080ti and not be the bottleneck.

if you are not upgrading your system on an annual basis the 8700k just like the 2600k at the time is for games is a much smarter choice for the future as shown by the benchmarks where it is up to 30% faster.

6. asho444

asho444 Member

future proofing is not a good argument on a dead platform
    got any evidence on the difference between bulldozer and 2600k? i also think the piledriver was the 2600k equiv not bulldozer. everyone knows its a fail chip

7. Apokalipse

Apokalipse Member

This might be partially due to the fact that Intel change sockets every two years, so of course a lot of people aren't going to bother to replace the CPU when it means they also have to replace their motherboard.
    But even so, I think an 8 core Ryzen 1700/1800 might be more future proof due to the fact that it has more cores, and multi-threading is only becoming better over time.

Only if you assume future games will use CPU's in exactly the same way.
    And there is no point in comparing CPU's using settings people don't actually use when comparing performance today.

8. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

There is if you are determined to prove that yours is better than theirs. You'll search for some kind, any kind, of metric to prove it.

My 1700 doesn't overclock like my 7700K did, but overclocking is just an expensive hobby. For any other purpose, paying the substantial extra money for the Intel (not just the chip, the whole damn platform) is a total waste of money.

LOLZ at CJ's future proofing comment. Lets see how he feels about that when he needs to change sockets again, making the insanely expensive Z370 boards useless for upgrades. Futureproofing is probably the best attribute of AMD, but he wants to claim buying an incredibly overpriced Intel board that will be redundant in a couple years is futureproofing :lol:

9. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

im not using z370 z platform is for the peasants.

10. Apokalipse

Apokalipse Member

So, Z370 is for peasents, yet you like to recommend the 8700K?

11. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

yes as anything intel is significantly better than amd.

12. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

Yeah those Intel coolers are pretty good compared to AMD.

13. Apokalipse

Apokalipse Member

Except when they're not, then it doesn't count, because reasons.

Like if an Intel CPU has more cores than an AMD CPU, core count is what matters. But if an AMD CPU has more cores, core count doesn't matter.

And if an Intel CPU is more power efficient than an AMD CPU, power efficiency matters. Whereas if an AMD CPU is more power efficient, power efficiency doesn't matter.

That's how it works, right?

AEKaBeer likes this.
  14. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

no total performance is what counts as 4 core intels have been beating 8 core amd's for many years now.

and if it was the other way around I would be saying the exact same thing.

15. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

If you are not upgrading your system on a regular basis, then you'll be wanting to futureproof. Being forced to buy a whole new platform every time you want to upgrade is NOT futureproofing.

Yet you are continually telling people that the 8700K is the bees knees and the best way to futureproof. I don't care which platform you are using. The one you are touting as the best for futureproofing is the Z370, because its the 8700K you are waxing lyrical about. So when Zen 2 comes around and if it happens to whip the arse off the 8700K, what are you gonna say? I know what I'll be saying.. damn I'm glad I bought a platform I can upgrade for years to come, UNLIKE INTEL.

FWIW I am and always have been an Intel fanboi. I will very likely buy another Intel rig at some point, because I enjoy overclocking and Ryzen sucks at overclocking. I am however also a person that likes value for money, so I'll wait for Zen 2 to come along before laying out a bunch of cash on an Intel rig. Zen 2 might be a beast overclocker, who knows?

What I DO know is that the current AMD sockets will be useful for years, and upgradeable for years, unlike the Z370. I don't give a fuck what YOU are using. YOU are the one talking about Z370 being so futureproof, and its Z370 you are talking about.. unless you want to recommend a different CPU than the 8700K now?

You really lost it when you tried futureproofing as another plus, you could not have chosen a more loseable argument.

Go back to the Court Jester thread and play with yourself there. Its not our fault that nobody wants to play at your house, we didn't invite you to ours. In there, you can shift the goalposts anytime you want, nobody will give a shit.

16. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

+1 first and only thing you said that makes sense

17. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Lacking in comprehension skills then are you?

18. Apokalipse

Apokalipse Member

Except they don't beat Ryzen.

19. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

So the fact that Ryzen was beating Kaby Lake in price/performance wasn't the reason Coffee Lake was rushed released? That Intel was happy with the fact that Kaby Lake was released in January 2017, so they released Coffee Lake in October that year?

MUTMAN and AEKaBeer like this.
  20. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Why are the intel zealots spruiking the max fps as the ideal metric ?
    Any twitch game (you know the ones where fps actually matter) player knows its the minimum frame rate that is the biggest factor.
    It seems from those benchmarks that ryzen will be the better cpu for futureproofing