AMD’s Next Gen x86 High Performance Core is Code Named “Zen”

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Frontl1ne, Sep 11, 2014.

1. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

It warrants further investigation for the GPU ONLY overclocking, the techpowerup article says they only got a 1300mhz overclock from 1240mhz stock (2400G), I think thats including the CPU overclock, hardware onboxed said not to bother and just clock the GPU at 1.6ghz and got a large increase but thats only from testing one title.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/...d-ryzen-3-2200g-apus-code-name-raven-ridge/6/

Perhaps theirs a trend emerging, The 2200G is a better overclocker and can match or get close to the graphics performance of the 2400G, once the dust settles we'll know or maybe Steve from Hardware Unboxed has a better idea of how to overclock, even in his testing theirs wasnt much of an increase in performance by overclocking 2400s GPU.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  2. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

I wouldn't rely on an X370 board being up to date, even if the manafacturer flashes before it leaves the factory theres no way to know if you're getting new stock or ones that have being sitting in the local distibuters warehouse stock for months. I'd suggest just get an X470 motherboard that is coming out the same as zen+.

3. Agg

Agg Administrator

4. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

I didn't see that mentioned in any of the reviews but checked a few boards and yeah 4k @30hz is the norm. It doesn't affect me now but planning on getting a new TV in the next 12 months. Bugger. Maybe I just wait until the next release in 2019, my tv box is doing a decent enough of a job as it is.

5. Phido

Phido Member

Wow, impressive.

Performance in cpu, performance in graphics, power, efficiency, price. They will sell many of these. Laptop and desktop.

Not sure if intel will be too worried, but no one will be buying 1030's.

6. OJR

OJR Member

Nobody asked you though. One thing we did ask you repeatedly however is to stay out of this thread.

Apokalipse, MUTMAN and Zenskas like this.
  7. asho444

asho444 Member

that overclocked performance tho
    for a $140 chip the 2200 is pretty amazing

8. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

The 2200 looks like a fantastic all rounder for any budget home/office PC, HTPC, casual/retro gaming machine etc. Plenty of performance for the vast majority of users and at last you can use the boards built in display outputs!

Graphics performance is quite nice too....both chips sitting around the GT 1030 level is about what I'd hoped for, and that puts it in line with other popular budget cards of old like the GTX 750Ti and GTX 660 which were known to play older games (over 4-5 years old) very smoothly with high settings @ 1080p. I've been playing lots of beautiful looking titles like the Tomb Raider reboot, Alien Isolation, Batman: AA etc on an i5/750Ti machine with ease, so these APU's will do at least as well at most likely well under half the total system power draw!

Biggest disappointment is reading a few people say the HDMI ports will still only do 4K @ 30Hz. Which is what the older 3xx series boards are saying they go to, and if the iGPU won't do more then that makes sense... but is this 100% confirmed? Bloody reviews all focus on performance and kinda skip over some features a bit, especially media playback features. If so then it's not very future proof for high end media consumption considering many sub $1000 TV's can do 60Hz on HDMI. Sure there's not a lot of 4K 60Hz content about but I have a fair bit and it looks so damn smooth with the right setup...

1000x this. He could at least do some basic fact checking before spurting negativity into this thread for the nth time. It's been widely known for a while that Ryzen+ is going to be 12nm (not "14nm++") with a focus on increased clocks...

9. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

why would I I am interested in zen and am an owner / user of the platform

10. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

"Interested in shitting on zen and trolling this thread"

FTFY

11. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

You are only interested in zen to troll it. IF you have a zen machine, which you keep telling us, then sell the fucking thing. You hate it, for whatever reason, you've made it clear. GET OFF OUR LAWN. Begone, troll, go and circle jerk in the Intel threads instead. You don't belong in this thread, you should be banned from it.

12. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

If the trolling were to be clever, than that would be ok by me. But its just puke regurgitated.

Do any of the reviews compare the 2200/2400 against the older FM2+ socketed APUs ?
    I'm interested to know if an upgrade is worth the dollars ?

13. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

no I am interested in this as I said I do own a zen system ( this is my 2nd infact ) I check in here occasionally to see there is any progress at getting ram to run @ 3200mhz as almost a year on after its launch it still cant run all 3200mhz memory @ its rated speeds.

I neiter love or hate zen I dont extend those kind of feeling to inanimate objects, infact I may even buy a zen + when they are released if they can actually hit a decent clock speed.

14. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

You spend an awful lot of time dissing something you neither love nor hate. Show me where you've said anything bad about Intel in Intel threads. Or go away, that would be preferable. In fact, for me, it just happened, yet again. Sometimes I unblock you in the hope you may have something intelligent to say, I've been disappointed every time, I should know better. Bye.

15. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

MUTMAN likes this.
  16. OJR

OJR Member

Well this is my 4th Ryzen rig and I have been running my RAM at 3200 since the first one. Clearly you are too stupid to own Ryzen. Please dismantle the PC and return it to the store you bought it from. #mrITpro.

FIREWIRE1394 and MUTMAN like this.
  17. Insert Gibberish

Insert Gibberish Member

Same here.

I only built about three Ryzen rigs thus far and they get easier to put together as you gain more experience. I have always used this memory because they all worked at their specified speed with NO problems whatsoever, see below;

https://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232530

I would say that the Ryzen gear has been very reliable compared to the trouble and strife I got when using Intel hardware over the years. Good to see the Red Team finally deliver something decent and 2018 is looking very great for AMD.

18. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

I came in here to check up on the new ryzen apus and see court jester is still banging on about RAM speed.
    I've had no issues with kingston, gskill or even team running at 3200mhz on any B350 or x370 board I have owned.

I am looking forward to seeing how these ryzen APUs go against my 9800 apu :)

I suspect court jester is using an a320 board for overclocks..

19. OJR

OJR Member

20. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

AMD have used Paste TIM on APU's and / low end die' for as long as I can remember.