1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

AMD’s Next Gen x86 High Performance Core is Code Named “Zen”

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Frontl1ne, Sep 11, 2014.

1. OJR

OJR Member

It does make sense when you read the article. I can understand trying to keep costs down on APUs and low end chips. Using it on higher end enthusiast chips is pretty piss poor though.

2. Apokalipse

Apokalipse Member

Raven Ridge is still 14nm. It's still using the Zen v1 core architecture. I think it has some of the uncore improvements from Zen+ (memory controller, etc), that's about it.
    And there's just the fact that it uses a single CCX and a GPU instead of two CCX's.

Especially a "165W" (400W) 18-core CPU.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  3. asho444

asho444 Member

Cant remember which review it was, maybe hardware Canucks but apparently graphics wise its about 100% improvement before overclocking

MUTMAN likes this.
  4. RnR

RnR Member

Damn ram prices...

[​IMG]

5. TaroT

TaroT Member

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_5_2400g_review,8.html

they have a few old ones in there especially the fx8370 and from the results I saw the difference is quite huge :) that and about half the power.
    I mean look at the difference in single threaded on cb 15...that's a leap
    so yeah IF you can afford the ram grabbing one of these and a good x370 board even would set you up for later or on the cheap the asrock 95 dollar 350 board is really good I have used a few with 1600.s and 1500x's and teamed with good ram they are just rocking along.

as for the thermal paste...shame it is like that but hey at that price really what can you expect....at least they don't cheap out on the higher end gear like some do :)

MUTMAN likes this.
  6. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

[​IMG]

Raven Ridge is a good upgrade from FX even if you aren't going to use the iGPU it's still nice to have a backup, Not sure I'd opt into X370 though, for that range I'd probably go with a nice B350 board.

7. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

I think the APU's support higher spec HDMI, but the 3xx boards are limited to 1.4b. There was mention of Ryzen mobile supporting up to HDMI 2.1 spec in Feb and these chips are functionally identical. I suppose we'll know for sure when the 4xx boards come out this April.

8. AMD-G

AMD-G Member

Correct, it requires board enablement , it is not a Ryzen APU limitation.

9. Insert Gibberish

Insert Gibberish Member

Curious as well as to whether this "thermal paste" that AMD is using is any worse than Intel's cheap garbage.

Someone should test it's ability to transfer heat but of course you need a a lot of scientific gear to confirm any results.

10. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

I thought the reason they used TIM on older APU's was the gpu circuitry couldn't handle the temps required for indium solder. I just assumed that was the same reason for these latest APU's.

11. Phido

Phido Member

Its a $100 CPU + IGP. Your unlikely to get mind blowing OC's anyway. This is a very price sensitive market. $1 means something at this price point. If it really bugs you then delid or pay someone to do it for you.

Realistically 99% of these are going to go into laptops, notebooks, tablets and highly intergrated OEM system boxes, with no overclocking and at slower speeds and volts than the 2400G anyway.

I think AMD's sweet spot will be 35w.. The desktop parts are small potatos.

12. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I'm looking at the cheapy for a torrent box/spare rig. If I go ITX, the board costs a little more, but I can stick the whole thing into a $110 Antec ISK-110, which comes with a Pico PSU (which offsets the extra price of the ITX board anyway), add 4GB of RAM and a $100 2TB drive shucked from a portable drive, and have a brand new quad core rig complete for 600 bucks, including a copy of Windows. That's pretty decent value. It would also make a great facebook machine, a tiny box vesa mounted. Of course it wouldn't be a gamer, but it would serve the purpose at a great price.

13. SnooP-WiggleS

SnooP-WiggleS Member

Delid thermal tests from gamersnexus. Temperature drop of around 11-17 degrees depending on whether o/c or not and air cooling vs liquid. Definitely worth watching the start even if you don't normally watch these sort of videos.

Phido likes this.
  14. museumman

museumman Member

on a plane with cocaine & yes im all lit up again
    Same, yet to fail to achieve 3200 on my boards so far

[​IMG]

15. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I haven't had 3200 fly reliably on my Asrock ITX, but its only 2666 LPX so that's not helping. Rock solid at 2933 though, @ 15-15-15-35-1T. I'm confident that if I had 3200 ram I'd have no problem at all running 3200.

16. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

I have 4 Ryzen rigs, 4 different boards, 3 different types of RAM, all running 3200-C16 except one at 3466-C16. I will admit that in the early days you did need to get down and dirty on some of those sub timings, but these days I can just set the primaries, speed and voltage and away we go.

3600-C16 is a different kettle of fish, I can get it memtest stable but I have stability issues with heavy GPU use, too much load on the interconnect I guess?

I've found that the best (daily stable) performance is on dual rank memory at 3466. I've had this as low as 3466-C14 but I run 3466-C16 for more reasonable voltages as my system is always on and under heavy load.

17. TaroT

TaroT Member

the only time I have had issues is with the team extreme 3600 ram I had Samsung b die as well will not go past 2933 regardless of any board or thing I do.
    it sort of depends on the ram get intel specced ram from ye old days and don't expect much

18. OJR

OJR Member

19. TaroT

TaroT Member

I meant the corsair stuff seems to be very hit and miss I had 3200 c14 ram and it did squat all nothing seems gskills stock has risen a lot over the last year :) at least it should.
    how many amd based corsair sticks are there...

20. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

I have run gskill 4133 2*gb at 3466 (CH6 presewt settings) and presently run 4*8gb of Gskill 3200C14 at CH6 3200 settings without a single hiccup or issue